Cruising speed

20 - 25 mph just turning my legs. I am a very weak rider.
It only proves Terry it is your e-bike riding you :) You're mock-pedalling.

In my case, I am the weak rider but do a lot of pedalling. Depending on the level of assistance and the type of e-bike ridden (fast commuter or e-MTB), season (summer/winter), type or terrain (road/off-road). single or a group ride (with a strong or with a traditional co-rider), my average speed on a long route ranges from 16 km/h (10 mph) to 31.4 km/h (19.55 mph).

Anyone claiming high average speed should be able to prove it.

1608741793062.png

Off-road ride with a traditional cyclist, e-MTB, late Autumn.

1608741957000.png

Mountain road ride with a strong e-biker, commuter e-bike, Summer.

What is your average cruising speed on an ebike?
Depends on the route. My longterm average around our very hilly little town is ~14mph. Steeper routes will be more like 10mph; flatter closer to 20mph. My power consumption also varies with terrain from a low of ~5W/mile for rolling terrain to 16W/mile for steep routes.

If i am on a long run i'll pedal just enough to keep the motor running. I use "sport" mode PAS 5 and 5th gear which is comfortable around 20-25 mph, it takes little to no effort.
Sometimes i'll have a wee burst if it's clear and safe to do so which gets me up to 35mph or there about, depending on terrain.
If i feel like "thugging it" i let it rip which gets me to 4.0 - 4.5mph LOL
If i am just bumbling along the beach front i will do "eco" mode PAS 2 or 3 and 2nd or 3rd gear where 8-10 mph is comfy with just turning my legs occasionally so it depends.
Cruising along with the bike taking me for a run = 20-25mph 😁

The bike gets a good work out..... that's how you do it.... right?

I use "sport" mode PAS 5 and 5th gear which is comfortable around 20-25 mph, it takes little to no effort.
750 W or more?
And the question is not the instant speed but the average. Have you ever recorded your ride?

I am in flatlands so around 20ish is a comfy pace without feeling like you are racing to the destination...but it also depends on wind for me, as I take long rides that eat up my battery so if I am pushing it hard in some nasty wind the battery'll be gone quick.

You have the greatest gains up hill where 12 mph is fairly easy. Flats the motor on a class 1 will cut out at 18 mph, which is pretty easy to achieve.

Oh, there was snow:

View attachment 74989

The road is closed in the winter, and when they work on reopening it in the spring the plowed segments are open to cyclists on weekends.
Lived there and worked for the FBO at Missoula County Airport. Some years no plowed pass until July. I would love to make that ride again on an eBike! Thanks!

Pretty sure my AVERAGE speed will be 10mph or less 90% of the time...

I like staying around 12mph as it provides a cooling breeze and enough feeling of speed for stimulation for most of the ride but do bounce up to 16+ if I'm feeling froggy and 20+ on a nice downhill. Pretty much how I try to ride without a battery as well.... Well except going uphill where I take advantage.

750 W or more?
And the question is not the instant speed but the average. Have you ever recorded your ride?
I have the 1000w Ultra with 30 Ah batteries so can afford to be heavy on the throttle. I know the % on the battery meter isn’t too accurate but so far I’ve done 30 miles really roasting it and still had 20% left so I don’t get range anxiety at all. I’ll do more precise tests as time goes on.

I have the 1000w Ultra with 30 Ah batteries so can afford to be heavy on the throttle. I know the % on the battery meter isn’t too accurate but so far I’ve done 30 miles really roasting it and still had 20% left so I don’t get range anxiety at all. I’ll do more precise tests as time goes on.
Oooohhhhhhh you in trouble now! You said the T_word! 😅 😅 😅

Back