Cross Core

John K

I have owned my Cross Core for about four months and 550 miles. There is a lot to love about this bike and it has made my riding on my very hilly island enjoyable. However, it has a bad creaking noise that makes it hard to completely enjoy this bike. A couple of solutions have been suggested and tried, which I’ll post later. I’m just curious whether anyone else has had a similar problem with Yamaha bikes. Or if you have a Cross Core that is a quiet ride I’d like to hear about that as well.
Thanks

I, too, have a new Cross Core and a creaking sound on the right crank at about 5:00-6:00 position when pedaling under moderate pressure. I will be bringing it back in if it gets any worse. Disappointing.

This is probably not it but my Haibike with yamaha drive had an annoying creaking noise every pedal revolution. I chased it for a month not being able to find the source.. I finally found it.... The creak was coming from the seat post inside the seat tube. I never would have thought that's where it was coming from. A little grease fixed it.

I, too, have a new Cross Core and a creaking sound on the right crank at about 5:00-6:00 position when pedaling under moderate pressure. I will be bringing it back in if it gets any worse. Disappointing.

Sorry to hear. The Cross Core does have the old-style tapered axle on the bottom bracket, which is more susceptible to loosening up. You may want to check the bolt on that crank if you haven’t already. My creak is in the front of the bike. Originally it was diagnosed as a bad fork and I’m unfortunately on my third fork with temporary relief from the creak. But now it’s back.

This is probably not it but my Haibike with yamaha drive had an annoying creaking noise every pedal revolution. I chased it for a month not being able to find the source.. I finally found it.... The creak was coming from the seat post inside the seat tube. I never would have thought that's where it was coming from. A little grease fixed it.

The seat post, seat tube connection can definitely be a source of creaking. I checked that early on and even upgraded my seat post, always applying grease when I reinserted the post. It did help alleviate some creak. But the main source is definitely up front. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I have owned my Cross Core for about four months and 550 miles. There is a lot to love about this bike and it has made my riding on my very hilly island enjoyable. However, it has a bad creaking noise that makes it hard to completely enjoy this bike. A couple of solutions have been suggested and tried, which I’ll post later. I’m just curious whether anyone else has had a similar problem with Yamaha bikes. Or if you have a Cross Core that is a quiet ride I’d like to hear about that as well.
Thanks
I love my Yamaha Cross Core...now.
After 100miles the bike developed a really annoying clicking sound from front end that was making me nuts. After countless and futile road tests while holding cables taut,seatpost tension ,shifters and bar tightening,headset adjustments,etc etc I returned to my selling dealer. A small e bike only shop with a knowledgeable and fantastic owner correctly diagnosed the source. It was an badly machined headtube that allowed minute bearing movement laterally.No amount of headset adjusting or fork replacement will fix that. Yamaha replaced the FRAME and fork bearings and fork. The shop owner reassembled the bike and now there is silence.
Around 800 miles the battery lock assembly developed a rattle while being firmly in the locked position.Not really any adjusting to do. However a fix was suggested on this blog( sorry I can't recall who ) to apply 3/4 x 1/2 foam weather strip to down tube under the battery and then install battery. The foam will compress so you may have to add more until really tight but it absolutely worked. No rattle.
I'm glad these noises were sorted out because this bike is a joy to ride.

I love my Yamaha Cross Core...now.
After 100miles the bike developed a really annoying clicking sound from front end that was making me nuts. After countless and futile road tests while holding cables taut,seatpost tension ,shifters and bar tightening,headset adjustments,etc etc I returned to my selling dealer. A small e bike only shop with a knowledgeable and fantastic owner correctly diagnosed the source. It was an badly machined headtube that allowed minute bearing movement laterally.No amount of headset adjusting or fork replacement will fix that. Yamaha replaced the FRAME and fork bearings and fork. The shop owner reassembled the bike and now there is silence.
Around 800 miles the battery lock assembly developed a rattle while being firmly in the locked position.Not really any adjusting to do. However a fix was suggested on this blog( sorry I can't recall who ) to apply 3/4 x 1/2 foam weather strip to down tube under the battery and then install battery. The foam will compress so you may have to add more until really tight but it absolutely worked. No rattle.
I'm glad these noises were sorted out because this bike is a joy to ride.

WOW! This sounds like the probable cause for my issue. I’m on my third fork and the sound is still there. Bringing my bike back to the shop this week. Should be an interesting discussion. Thanks so much for your post!

WOW! This sounds like the probable cause for my issue. I’m on my third fork and the sound is still there. Bringing my bike back to the shop this week. Should be an interesting discussion. Thanks so much for your post!

I've owned a Cross Core for @ 4 weeks / 150 miles and that same sound just started! Wondering how things worked out for you with your shop? Something else?

I've owned a Cross Core for @ 4 weeks / 150 miles and that same sound just started! Wondering how things worked out for you with your shop? Something else?
Frustrating to say the least. They have honored the warranty and been professional about it. But they keep saying it’s a fork problem that Yamaha is aware of. It is in the shop yet again waiting for it’s fourth fork. Each time it seems good and then after a few miles the creak is back.

It sounds like Marcomoto’s dealer figured out the real problem and fixed it the right way. Just out of curiosity what part of the country are you in? I was originally thinking this was a bad batch shipped to the Pacific Northwest. But Marcomoto is from Ohio.

That’s too bad! I’m in NYC but my bike was shipped to the dealer from the west coast I believe. At least that’s where the dealer called once I made the purchase. He doesn’t stock. So guessing they’re all from the same batch.

Some other threads on creaking bike noises suggested a couple other things, which I will try first, like greasing seat post. Hopefully I’ll get lucky. Really like the bike otherwise, so want to figure this out...

That’s too bad! I’m in NYC but my bike was shipped to the dealer from the west coast I believe. At least that’s where the dealer called once I made the purchase. He doesn’t stock. So guessing they’re all from the same batch.

Some other threads on creaking bike noises suggested a couple other things, which I will try first, like greasing seat post. Hopefully I’ll get lucky. Really like the bike otherwise, so want to figure this out...
Tried that myself to no avail. Also, temporarily removed front brake cable thinking there could be some friction there...didn’t change anything. If you feel comfortable with it try riding with no hands and see if the noise goes away or at least diminishes. If so, to me that’s proof it is somewhere in the area of the head tube and/or fork crown area. And Marcomoto’s dealer finding the lateral motion in that area seems proof of the real issue. Which in his case provided a new frame and fork. Good luck to you and let’s keep in touch on this.
Thanks
John

It’s been a while since I posted. My Cross Core was in the shop for a couple of weeks being diagnosed and repaired(?). The mechanic again insisted it was a fork issue that Yamaha is well aware of. He did say once the new fork was installed he noticed creaking noises coming from the motor/ crank area. He reset the bolts on the mounting tabs for the motor and I assume the crank bolts. So I picked it up a week ago and took it on a test ride while still at the shop. Then a short test ride the next day and a few longer rides this week. I am being cautiously optimistic that the problem is resolved. A couple of times yesterday I had some concerns. However, these were on rough roadways and just about any bike is going to chatter on these surfaces. I plan to start using it for commuting again next week and will post the results as I go.

My creaking issue may have resolved itself. I think it's due to the much cooler weather, though, and nothing to do with anything else. I should have brought it in when it was loud, because I can't bring it in now that its nearly silent. 520 miles in it.

Yeah, I have had that kind of thing happen on my regular bikes as well. Well, at least you still have the 3 year warranty if it comes back next year. I guess I better get pedaling...you’ve almost caught up to me😉

My creaking issue may have resolved itself. I think it's due to the much cooler weather, though, and nothing to do with anything else. I should have brought it in when it was loud, because I can't bring it in now that its nearly silent. 520 miles in it.

I had the same experience with mine. Creaking noise stopped on its own. At least for now. Coincided with weather cooling on east coast but no clue if connected. Guess I’ll know if it stays quiet til next summer!

Try tightening the rear axle. I had that on a bike and was going nuts trying to track it down. A 1/8 turn on the rear axle and it was gone. Those noises can originate at one end of a bike and be louder at the other. It's just a process of elimination.

It’s been a while since I posted. My Cross Core was in the shop for a couple of weeks being diagnosed and repaired(?). The mechanic again insisted it was a fork issue that Yamaha is well aware of. He did say once the new fork was installed he noticed creaking noises coming from the motor/ crank area. He reset the bolts on the mounting tabs for the motor and I assume the crank bolts. So I picked it up a week ago and took it on a test ride while still at the shop. Then a short test ride the next day and a few longer rides this week. I am being cautiously optimistic that the problem is resolved. A couple of times yesterday I had some concerns. However, these were on rough roadways and just about any bike is going to chatter on these surfaces. I plan to start using it for commuting again next week and will post the results as I go.

Hello, I've followed your issues with a creaking headset and wonder how things turned out. I bought a Cross Core last summer that eventually developed a lot of noise in the front end (creaking/clicking). My shop in Seattle tried fixing it but couldn't and eventually ended up ordering a new frame, fork, headset. That fixed the problem for about 50 miles and then the noise came back. It's now back in the shop and they've ordered a new frame. Yamaha has told my shop they don't know of any issues with the front end, although I'm aware of these posts and I have a friend who bought one and the fork was replaced (creaking) by his shop within the month. They told him it was a well known issue . I'm a full time bike commuter (although not with the Cross Core) and have traditionally done my own maintenance---but I've never had a problem like this. I liked the bike, but I've hardly been able to ride it...any thoughts you can impart as to the ultimate fix. Thanks.

Hello, I've followed your issues with a creaking headset and wonder how things turned out. I bought a Cross Core last summer that eventually developed a lot of noise in the front end (creaking/clicking). My shop in Seattle tried fixing it but couldn't and eventually ended up ordering a new frame, fork, headset. That fixed the problem for about 50 miles and then the noise came back. It's now back in the shop and they've ordered a new frame. Yamaha has told my shop they don't know of any issues with the front end, although I'm aware of these posts and I have a friend who bought one and the fork was replaced (creaking) by his shop within the month. They told him it was a well known issue . I'm a full time bike commuter (although not with the Cross Core) and have traditionally done my own maintenance---but I've never had a problem like this. I liked the bike, but I've hardly been able to ride it...any thoughts you can impart as to the ultimate fix. Thanks.
Jeff, I’m sorry to hear about your situation. My shop owner (also in Seattle) graciously offered me a full refund (after 700 miles ridden) for a trade in. I bought a Raleigh Redux ie and have been much happier with it. It’s not quite the climber that the Cross Core was and definitely more expensive. But it’s solid and quiet. Even though I think Yamaha makes a great motor we all ended up being beta testers for a faulty frame design. And I haven’t seen anything new from them this year. So, unfortunately the ultimate fix I found was to replace it.
John

Back