Cross core stem adjustment

bones774

Hi Just picked up my first ebike, Yamaha Cross core. Looking to raise handlebar stem height, i'm used to old fashioned bike with binder type stem. Read the Yamaha manual, and it talks about moving spacers, Is there any adjustment on the stem? Looking to raise the height. thanks

Hi. Cable length is a big issue. You can only go so far or you need to use new wires, cables, hoses and housings.
Look at 31.8 stem risers of the articulating type, of up to 120mm.

Attachments

• HBupdate02.JPG
    HBupdate02.JPG
    382 KB · Views: 319
  • HBupdate04.JPG
    HBupdate04.JPG
    474.9 KB · Views: 337
  • HBupdate03.JPG
    HBupdate03.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 320
  • HBupdate05.JPG
    HBupdate05.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 337
I used one of these adjustable stem risers. Cost ~$20 on amazon. Moves the bar up and back. You need to have enough cable length to allow this though.
1615499636818.png

A nice thing about cable brakes is that it isn't that difficult or expensive to replace with longer ones. The electrical cable would be more critical. My gravel bike with same motor and display as yours had just enough of both brake and electrical cables to allow use of the adjustable extender. It made a big difference in comfort for my bike.

By the way, the Cross Core looks like a great bike, enjoy it.

For the HB update I did on that old MTB I used both of the above products and a HB that rises can curves back.

Hi Just picked up my first ebike, Yamaha Cross core. Looking to raise handlebar stem height, i'm used to old fashioned bike with binder type stem. Read the Yamaha manual, and it talks about moving spacers, Is there any adjustment on the stem? Looking to raise the height. thanks
I have the Cross Core and tried to raise the handlebars using an extender. There was not enough length of the electrical cable to be able to do it. I was really disappointed that I couldn't raise them..

I have the Cross Core and tried to raise the handlebars using an extender. There was not enough length of the electrical cable to be able to do it. I was really disappointed that I couldn't raise them..
That's unfortunate. Maybe check with the dealer to see how much a longer electrical cable or an extension would cost - may not be reasonably possible or available though. Another less elegant option is riser handlebars, they come in various styles and amount of rise. Mount the display and control centrally near the stem, replace the brake cables with longer ones if necessary. The control button wouldn't be close to the handlebar grip but maybe better than nothing if it is important to you. I've done this with my Dahon Jack. Cables are inexpensive and easy to replace but a bike shop could also do it for you.

Here is my Jack with riser handlebars, the stock bars were almost flat (I was only temporarily testing the Tongsheng mid drive shown in the picture on this bike, no longer has assist motor).
20201101_142909.jpg

I was hoping to hear from someone that had actually tried to raise HB. Sorry to learn that. Would be nice if they made an extension type cable.

You could solder in an extension in an unseen place. Use shrink tube on each little wire, then adhesive shrink tube on the outside to seal it. I do this when I make electric bikes thru-frame. See no wires on the down tube.

Attachments

• Katies2104.JPG
    Katies2104.JPG
    407.9 KB · Views: 325
  • Katies2105.JPG
    Katies2105.JPG
    404.7 KB · Views: 309
You could solder in an extension in an unseen place. Use shrink tube on each little wire, then adhesive shrink tube on the outside to seal it. I do this when I make electric bikes thru-frame. See no wires on the down tube.
I'm a pretty decent E.T. and I understand what you say but it would void the warranty. Does anyone know of a yamaha parts schematic? Could take a look and see about extensions avail. Must be available to dealers.

Spoke to the dealer I bought the bike from. He called Yamaha and they have no extension to use for the cable. . Thinking about switching to riser handlebars instead of doing anything that might void the warranty. Any suggestions on riser bars that would work best with the CrossCore?

Went to the shop I had bought the bike from, they were coming up with some creative ways to raise the bars. There ended up being enough cable inside the frame that they were able to raise the bars just with the extender I provided. Just ordered a set of Yamaha fenders to put on the bike.
After all the add ons I have added to the bike, should have bought the Cross Connect which already had the fenders, rack, and front fork suspension.

What size frame do you have? I wonder if cables are same length for all frames with little excess avail on large frame?
What extender did you use?
Did you pay full retail for fenders, they are a bit pricey?
Thanks

I have a large frame. When I tried to raise the bars, I couldn't get the wires to extend at all. There seemed to be some bunches up cable inside the frame of the bike.
Yamaha didn't have the fenders in stock, bought from an online bike shop for the same price Yamaha sells them for. I believe $70 for both front and back.
Just a cheap extender I bought from Amazon. It makes a big difference. I was thinking about getting rid of the bike because how uncomfortable it was..

Are those yamaha OEM fenders?
Jets fan? Did you get your bike in Tarrytown?
You're extender just straight up raised , no set back?

Ok I'm gonna look at cables carefully today and see what's up. I'll update here later. Have fun, good luck, thanks

Back