Creo SL Comp upgrade to Carbon wheelset

abercrombie

I have the base Creo SL Comp with the alloy DT Swiss wheelset. Looking to upgrade to Carbon Fiber wheels and wanted to know if there are any sizing differences from standard bikes. Could've sworn there might be issues with sizing or spacers might be required?

Thinkig of getting these Reynolds:

Last edited:
yes, the creo wheels use "road boost" axle spacing.

12mm diameter x 148mm long in the rear
12mm diameter x 110mm long in the front.

it's sort of halfway between a mountain bike and a road bike. there are not a ton of wheels available off the shelf with those axles. the reynolds are probably 12x100 and 12x142.

yes, the creo wheels use "road boost" axle spacing.

12mm diameter x 148mm long in the rear
12mm diameter x 110mm long in the front.

it's sort of halfway between a mountain bike and a road bike. there are not a ton of wheels available off the shelf with those axles. the reynolds are probably 12x100 and 12x142.

Thanks, makes sense since I often hear many having them made to order.

Does Specialized sell wheels that fit? Are they different across the various Creo lines?

Does Specialized sell wheels that fit? Are they different across the various Creo lines?

Found a thread similar to this one that explains the hub sizes. A forum member emailed Specialized back in June 2020 and support replied:

"... we actually do not currently have an afermarket wheel upgrade for the Creo at this time but we might have aftermarket carbon road wheels for the 2021 model year"

Ref: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/new-carbon-wheels-for-creo.34355/post-284798

there are three or maybe four wheelsets that come stock - the DT Swiss 470s on e5 and comp carbon, Roval C38s on the expert models, Roval Terra CLX on the 2021 s-works models, Roval CLX 50 on the 2020 s-works models …. i assume if you had one of those bikes and cracked a wheel, your specialized dealer could get you one, they just don’t stock/sell them in that hub spacing as accessories.

I think these will do the job. Are they worth the price?

Another option is to go with a Chinese carbon wheel manufacturer.
Last December I ordered a set of custom carbon wheels for my Cannondale Topstone Lefty 3, which has a single front shock and Special Left 3 hub from Yoeleo.
Yoeleo was able to build me a front wheel with the Lefty 3 hub, at no additional charge.
I've had the wheels on my bike for approx. 3000km with no problems. I'm a very happy customer.
I suspect they would have to problem building a set of wheels to fit a Creo and the price is very reasonable.
Another Chinese wheel company that is getting very good reviews is Winspace.

I think these will do the job. Are they worth the price?
beautiful wheels, very light. there are i think only reasons you might not want those:

1. $$$$
2. not the most aero, if you are more into going fast that climbing hills a different profile is better

i didn’t realize mike’s had those readily available !

Last edited:
What about the new Bontraeger Aeolus RSL wheels? They use DT Swiss hubs so the end caps might be changeable. They also claim no rider weight limit.

those look nice! no idea what it would take to get the right spacing, it isn't just the end caps, afaik, but the actual hub in order to keep the wheel centered and the cassette in the right place.

i decided to go the easy route, and picked up the roval terra clx, since they tick all of my boxes - light, tubeless ready, understated, slightly more aero than stock but not too deep for the crazy crosswinds i ride in.

for the weight weenies, the total weight of my original rear wheel including cassette, driver, wheel, tire, tube, and QR axle was 2,176g. current setup (10-42t instead of the stock 11-42t) weighs in at 1,679g - more than a pound of rotating mass in just the rear wheel!

apologies for the terrible photo. it's nighttime.

7425-wheels.jpg

those look nice! no idea what it would take to get the right spacing, it isn't just the end caps, afaik, but the actual hub in order to keep the wheel centered and the cassette in the right place.

i decided to go the easy route, and picked up the roval terra clx, since they tick all of my boxes - light, tubeless ready, understated, slightly more aero than stock but not too deep for the crazy crosswinds i ride in.

for the weight weenies, the total weight of my original rear wheel including cassette, driver, wheel, tire, tube, and QR axle was 2,176g. current setup (10-42t instead of the stock 11-42t) weighs in at 1,679g - more than a pound of rotating mass in just the rear wheel!

apologies for the terrible photo. it's nighttime.

Looks like it's a hazard of reading the forums. Answer a question on Thursday and new wheels for yourself by Saturday. What were the starting wheels?

Looks like it's a hazard of reading the forums. Answer a question on Thursday and new wheels for yourself by Saturday. What were the starting wheels?
lol yeah, i had been debating what wheels to get / have made for a long time. didn’t realize the Terra CLX were tubeless compatible, and readily available in boost spacing. stopped by the shop on a quick break from work friday morning!

mike’s didn’t have the right freehub driver, and it would have taken them much longer to get it than me (?!?!?), so i took the bike back and did it myself after they mounted and filled the tires with sealant. i’ll try and do that myself next time too!

Mounting tires with sealant isn't hard. It just takes a little patience, attention to detail and an easy to clean up work area in case of mishaps. I'm going the other way with heavier wheels. Mine came with the Roval C38's but I'm a little heavy for them so I've ordered a custom 650B wheel.

Mounting tires with sealant isn't hard. It just takes a little patience, attention to detail and an easy to clean up work area in case of mishaps. I'm going the other way with heavier wheels. Mine came with the Roval C38's but I'm a little heavy for them so I've ordered a custom 650B wheel.
I watched one guy do them. but he changed the bike over to tubeless. he left the sealant out aired up the tire till the bead snapped in place let the air out and put the sealant in. I wonder if it works ok that way?

Greetings, I’m a new member so excuse my first post in case this has already been discussed. I have a Creo Turbo carbon comp which I’m in the process of modifying to better suit my riding and location. I’m in North Florida so I don’t encounter any climbing to speak of and I’ve found the stock cassette and chainring to offer inadequate gear ratios. I will swap in an Ultegra 11-32 and Wolftooth 50 ring instead. Those ratios will be closer to what I ride on my analog Colnago so I can better compare heart rate, effort etc. bike to bike. I’ve rarely used anything other than the Eco mode but find I spend most of the time on the smallest 3 cassette cogs. I’ve also purchased the turbo remote control, and will do the entire makeover once I purchase the Roval Terra carbon wheels as described above. My question is this: has anyone (maybe mschwett above?) who has swapped out the stock wheels done anything with them such as converting them to occasional gravel use with fatter tires? Sold them? Not sure what bikes could use the boost hubs. Just looking for ideas or suggestion. Thanks so much.

Back