Creo SL Comp upgrade to Carbon wheelset

Greetings, I’m a new member so excuse my first post in case this has already been discussed. I have a Creo Turbo carbon comp which I’m in the process of modifying to better suit my riding and location. I’m in North Florida so I don’t encounter any climbing to speak of and I’ve found the stock cassette and chainring to offer inadequate gear ratios. I will swap in an Ultegra 11-32 and Wolftooth 50 ring instead. Those ratios will be closer to what I ride on my analog Colnago so I can better compare heart rate, effort etc. bike to bike. I’ve rarely used anything other than the Eco mode but find I spend most of the time on the smallest 3 cassette cogs. I’ve also purchased the turbo remote control, and will do the entire makeover once I purchase the Roval Terra carbon wheels as described above. My question is this: has anyone (maybe mschwett above?) who has swapped out the stock wheels done anything with them such as converting them to occasional gravel use with fatter tires? Sold them? Not sure what bikes could use the boost hubs. Just looking for ideas or suggestion. Thanks so much.
Sorry I can't answer the questions. I just wanted to welcome you from the complete diagonally opposite end of the country. I guess I have more elevation gain/loss just walking four blocks down to the lake from my house than you have in most of Florida! o_O

Greetings, I’m a new member so excuse my first post in case this has already been discussed. I have a Creo Turbo carbon comp which I’m in the process of modifying to better suit my riding and location. I’m in North Florida so I don’t encounter any climbing to speak of and I’ve found the stock cassette and chainring to offer inadequate gear ratios. I will swap in an Ultegra 11-32 and Wolftooth 50 ring instead. Those ratios will be closer to what I ride on my analog Colnago so I can better compare heart rate, effort etc. bike to bike. I’ve rarely used anything other than the Eco mode but find I spend most of the time on the smallest 3 cassette cogs. I’ve also purchased the turbo remote control, and will do the entire makeover once I purchase the Roval Terra carbon wheels as described above. My question is this: has anyone (maybe mschwett above?) who has swapped out the stock wheels done anything with them such as converting them to occasional gravel use with fatter tires? Sold them? Not sure what bikes could use the boost hubs. Just looking for ideas or suggestion. Thanks so much.

hi! our riding situations are quite different :) i can’t ride more than 50 feet without encountering a steep grade 😂😂

you should also get some very nice rotating weight savings from that ultegra cassette. the cassette on the comp carbon is HEAVY.

i put a matching cassette and rotors on my stock DT470 wheels along with some tubeless 42mm knobby tires for gravel use. haven’t had any issues yet, but have only done the back and forth a few times. i typically have to loosen the front brake caliper after the swap and tighten it with the brakes clamped to realign, but other than that, everything seems to go over nicely. pay close attention to the alignment of the rear cassette and driver or you’ll have shifting issues when switching back and forth. the terra wheels required an XDR driver with 1.8mm spacer for my cassette of choice, but the DT470 required an XD (no R) driver, no spacer.

since you’re sticking with shimano cassette i assume the stock driver will work on the 470s, but make sure you get the right one for the Terra wheels.

if you’re a traditional roadie who likes really skinny tubed tires, the terras may not be the best choice - they’re very wide. 32mm fits really nicely, 28mm might be too narrow.

Thanks so much, that really helps! Also I had assumed that I could use 28’s on the Terra wheels, you are correct that I am basically a roadie. I’ll have to check with my wrench on that one, I suppose I could live with 32’s say but prefer to stick with a nice set of Continental 28’s. Thanks for that tip, I may have to rethink the Terras.

Thanks Kahn! Have a buddy in Port Townsend that I’m overdue to visit, I do love the Pacific Northwest.

Thanks so much, that really helps! Also I had assumed that I could use 28’s on the Terra wheels, you are correct that I am basically a roadie. I’ll have to check with my wrench on that one, I suppose I could live with 32’s say but prefer to stick with a nice set of Continental 28’s. Thanks for that tip, I may have to rethink the Terras.
roval definitely says 28s fit. (28-47c). i’d like to try them too, but as you can see from the pics my tubeless GP5000s in 32mm are nearly flush with the widest part of the rim. it’s not like another 2mm on each side is going to move the needle much but i also doubt you’ll get too much reduction in drag given that it’s stretched pretty wide.

amazingly, the 25mm internal width terra CLX is only 48g heavier for the pair than the alpinist CLX!

I did check with Mike’s Bikes and the guy I chatted with said he had Specialized Turbo Pros on those rims and said it rode great, he added that the 28mm will measure out to 30mm when mounted. I’m going to get everything put together and after a few rides I’ll report my feedback. Thanks for all the info.

My question is this: has anyone (maybe mschwett above?) who has swapped out the stock wheels done anything with them such as converting them to occasional gravel use with fatter tires? Sold them? Not sure what bikes could use the boost hubs. Just looking for ideas or suggestion. Thanks so much.
The rear wheel with 12x148 enters in several frames. But mostly MTb Frames, I doubt that tehres is a high intereset in narrow 20-622 wheels. The front wheel dimension 12x110 ist afaik apart form Creo and Vadlo Sl only used in some Focus bikes (Parallane?), so even less demand.
As the R470 wheels are quite cheap you also won't make much money with them. I would keep them ready with some different tires or in case thee good wheelset has do go to some longer mainetenance.

I’ve ordered the Roval Terras from Mikes Bikes. Based on advice from Jodi2 & others I’ve decided to keep the stock set & put fatter tires on them to use where I would ride gravel. My question now is, should I have also ordered brake rotor? If so any ideas on which? I know the stock calipers are Shimano GRX. Thanks.

I’ve ordered the Roval Terras from Mikes Bikes. Based on advice from Jodi2 & others I’ve decided to keep the stock set & put fatter tires on them to use where I would ride gravel. My question now is, should I have also ordered brake rotor? If so any ideas on which? I know the stock calipers are Shimano GRX. Thanks.
yep, they are 160mm standard thickness center lock rotors. there are a lot of choices, i’m current running these on both sets of wheels

the stock rotor is shimano sm-rt800 in 160mm. easily found online as well.

you’ll need the rear speed sensor lock ring

and a standard lock ring for the front.

and of course… you need a rear cassette. that’s where it gets interesting if you don’t want to use the stock one. each creo trim level has a different rear cassette. make sure the driver which comes with your wheels is the right one, SRAM and Shimano use a couple different types.

Thanks so much, you guys are the best! I will order the TRP rotor, lock ring, & speed sensor as above. I already have an Ultegra 11-32 cassette & Wolftooth 50 ring to better suit me here in Florida. I’ll check on the driver, pretty sure it’s Shimano.

One more question 😱. Do I also need another set of quick release levers or non quick release for the thru axles? I’m an old school caliper brake road bike guy, ergo all the dumb questions lol.

One more question 😱. Do I also need another set of quick release levers or non quick release for the thru axles? I’m an old school caliper brake road bike guy, ergo all the dumb questions lol.
you can use the same set (the original ones or otherwise) for both wheels. i use robert axle project through axles, they’re sleeker and lighter and i don’t really want to advertise that my wheels come off so easily 😂

Thanks so much, you guys are the best! I will order the TRP rotor, lock ring, & speed sensor as above. I already have an Ultegra 11-32 cassette & Wolftooth 50 ring to better suit me here in Florida. I’ll check on the driver, pretty sure it’s Shimano.

are you using the same 11-32 cassettes on both wheels? (i.e. did you buy two of them?)

No, my stock wheels have the 11-42 it came with, but it would make sense to get another 11-32 for it.

No, my stock wheels have the 11-42 it came with, but it would make sense to get another 11-32 for it.
yeah - that’s a big enough difference that i doubt the same chain will work for both of them….. you’ll want a much shorter chain for the 32

In getting this wheelset ready for your Creo did you also place the speed sensor magnet on the rear wheel too? Isn't that absolutely necessary? Besides that, what other modifications had to be made to work with the Creo?

In getting this wheelset ready for your Creo did you also place the speed sensor magnet on the rear wheel too? Isn't that absolutely necessary? Besides that, what other modifications had to be made to work with the Creo?
yes, you need to use the speed sensor lockring made for the creo. specialized part S199900012 - although they seem to be listed as unavailable right now. of course you can reuse the one from your current wheels. you’ll need the correct driver for whatever cassette your creo has - different models have different cassettes.

yes, you need to use the speed sensor lockring made for the creo. specialized part S199900012 - although they seem to be listed as unavailable right now. of course you can reuse the one from your current wheels. you’ll need the correct driver for whatever cassette your creo has - different models have different cassettes.
Thanks for the confirmation/reply. I actually bought the speed magnet (it was very inexpensive) in anticipation of buying an extra set of wheels some time in the future. No wait for me! ;)

Back