Creo SL carbon paint job

Rhinojon

Region
United Kingdom
I just purchased a new 2021 Turbo Creo SL in smoke/black/carbon colour for my wife (from a well known UK Specialized retailer) - it was just about the last XS size in the UK and the shop is about 5 hour's drive from us, so I purchased from their online store. The paintwork on the top tube appears blotchy and faded and in my view spoils the appearance - it almost looks 2nd hand - see pics. The retailer says this is normal for this type of bike/carbon, and sent me a few pics of similar finishes on bikes on their shop floor. Is this so - the finish is nothing like that on my black carbon turbo creo, which is still spotless after 6 month's use? Any advice appreciated...

Attachments

• IMG-7467.jpg
    IMG-7467.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG-7481.jpg
    IMG-7481.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG-7477.jpg
    IMG-7477.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 318
Which model and color name is this exactly?
If it's no wet or with flash on your photos, this doesn't look normal.
I've got just a "simple" colour (satin sage green), not a shimmering colour like the expensive versions. But I've seen some in real live, even if they can look strange on photos with some bad light or direction, in real life they look always great. And all Creo paintings I've seen so far where of very high quality and very durable.
Also it's strange if it's only on your top tube, it should be similar on all tubes. My first feeling is, this isn't right and I would not accept it like this.

I have the same model/color/year. Looks like they neglected to paint the top half of the top tube. Mine is glossy black on the top, rendering the tube two-tone.
Creo Top Tube.JPG

I have a ‘20 Creo CC in blue. The upper face of the top tube is unpainted and has only a clear coat. The carbon fiber doesn’t have a consistent color so IMHO it looks bad. I think in later iterations and other color schemes Specialized painted that surface.
30FADA91-1961-4C50-AD29-FBE6C13094BA.jpeg

Which model and color name is this exactly?
If it's no wet or with flash on your photos, this doesn't look normal.
I've got just a "simple" colour (satin sage green), not a shimmering colour like the expensive versions. But I've seen some in real live, even if they can look strange on photos with some bad light or direction, in real life they look always great. And all Creo paintings I've seen so far where of very high quality and very durable.
Also it's strange if it's only on your top tube, it should be similar on all tubes. My first feeling is, this isn't right and I would not accept it like this.
Thanks Jodi2, for confirming my thoughts. Its a 2021 Turbo Creo SL Expert - not cheap at £7,500. The colour combination is Smoke/Black/Carbon. I can't contact Rider Care via the online form (perhaps this is only for USA customers?), so I'll take the bike in to a Specialized store local to me asap. The attached pics illustrate what I believe the finish should look like (photo credit to another forum member, with thanks).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 12.34.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 12.34.06 PM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 226
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 12.33.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 12.33.52 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 233
I have a ‘20 Creo CC in blue. The upper face of the top tube is unpainted and has only a clear coat. The carbon fiber doesn’t have a consistent color so IMHO it looks bad. I think in later iterations and other color schemes Specialized painted that surface.View attachment 107135
Thanks, beautiful colour BTW, and yours has a lovely glossy clearcoat - mine looks like its been badly sandpapered and then not finished. I'll see what the local store says tomorrow and take it from there...
Thanks for confirming my suspicions, all

I just purchased a new 2021 Turbo Creo SL in smoke/black/carbon colour for my wife (from a well known UK Specialized retailer) - it was just about the last XS size in the UK and the shop is about 5 hour's drive from us, so I purchased from their online store. The paintwork on the top tube appears blotchy and faded and in my view spoils the appearance - it almost looks 2nd hand - see pics. The retailer says this is normal for this type of bike/carbon, and sent me a few pics of similar finishes on bikes on their shop floor. Is this so - the finish is nothing like that on my black carbon turbo creo, which is still spotless after 6 month's use? Any advice appreciated...
My Creo SL Expert looks the same. That is the appearance of this particular color or "non-color". It's even shown on the web page if you scroll through the images and look at the enlarged top tube photo. If I had not gone to the dealer to purchase and ride a specific size I would have been surprised by the finish. I was checking two sizes and the one that fit was the Smoke/Black/Carbon color. The dealer just said that's the way they look and I rode it away. Later I confirmed by looking at the web page.

Last edited:
Looks really strange on the Website photos below...

Each Creo Model has different colors available and the "black" is different on each model that has a black color. I have a Creo SL Expert and the color matches the original post.

Turbo Creo SL Comp Carbon - Satin Carbon / Holo Reflective / Black (This model has the shiny top tube)

Turbo Creo SL Expert - Smoke/ Black/ Carbon (This model has the natural color top tube.)

S-Works Turbo Creo SL - Black Tint - Spectraflair / Satin Black/ Chrome (example)

It will be interesting to hear what the dealer says.

@Rhinojon I believe your bike looks as intended by specialized. It’s sort of the opposite of the comp carbon version, which has a gloss black top half of the top tube, but elsewhere the finish is somewhat like the image you show with the topography of the carbon layup visible.

Guys, I need some rettach for my creo.
Anyone knows what is the paint that will match to this color?

1639186083012.png

I have cleaned my frame using Meguires Ceramic Wax. I have the black matt frame with glossy top and was never sold on the colour. The wax coating has given it a nice all over sheen and nothing sticks to it like mud or crap. Does an awesome job with leveling up frame paint imperfections.

I recently bought a 2021 Creo, in Black Tint - Spectraflair/Satin Black/Chrome, and it has the same blotchy finish on the top bar as others have mentioned. I had it shipped from an out-of-state retailer, so I didn’t know it looked like that until I picked it up from the LBS. I talked with a Specialized Customer Care rep today, and was told that it’s just the way it is. He then told me about a warranty-approved custom painter in case I want to fix it. On my dime, of course. At least I got it at the 25% discount sale price.

Back