Crater Lake Ride the Rim

EMGX

A ride to not miss, Sept 9 and 16th this year. I've done it 4 times, only once with an ebike last year. When I first did this ride several years ago I saw no ebikes, few years ago (pre-COVID before the ride was cancelled for a couple yrs) only saw one couple on ebikes, last year a majority of bikes were ebikes. Porta-johns and wide array of free snacks every 5 miles or so, unbeatable scenery, east road closed to car traffic from 8am to 6pm. If you miss out it's your loss.

Regarding the east rim road closure:
"access will be temporarily reopened for special events like Ride the Rim on September 9th and 16th"

I've ridden entirely around Crater Lake when normal traffic is allowed. It's a much nicer ride on the Ride the Rim event dates.

A ride to not miss, Sept 9 and 16th this year. I've done it 4 times, only once with an ebike last year. When I first did this ride several years ago I saw no ebikes, few years ago (pre-COVID before the ride was cancelled for a couple yrs) only saw one couple on ebikes, last year a majority of bikes were ebikes. Porta-johns and wide array of free snacks every 5 miles or so, unbeatable scenery, east road closed to car traffic from 8am to 6pm. If you miss out it's your loss.
Assuming you stay overnight, where do you hang out?

Anyone else ride it this year? Yesterday was a beautiful smoke free day, fewer riders than the other times I've done it. Did a ride down to pinnacles which I had never seen before, only saw 4 other riders on that 14 mile out and back road. Added a bit extra for total of 60 miles and over 6500 ft elevation gain with lots of scenery stops in almost 9 hours. Wanted to get the most out of it since it was over 500 miles round trip drive. A wonderous ride, well worth the trip.

IMG_20240914_080005499_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240914_101738638.jpg
IMG_20240914_104834094_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240914_105544910_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240914_110555832_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240914_154539613_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240914_160847267_HDR.jpg

Soooooo wanna do that ride! Stunning place. Mt. Mazama's climactic caldera-forming eruption some 7,000 years ago had huge impacts on the surrounding landscape and on indigenous PNW cultures of the time.

I've done the "ride the rim" event 4 or 5 times and greatly enjoyed it every ride, last couple times with ebikes (TSDZ2 converted bikes both times). Worst part for me is the ~270 mile drive down to the park. I've thought about taking the train to Klamath Falls but haven't yet. It might be a good option for you if Amtrak runs from where you live up to Klamath Falls. I think there is a bus shuttle from Klamath Falls to the park, not sure. I've usually camped at Diamond Lake but stayed at both Diamond Lake lodge as well as lodging in the park when with my wife. During the event there are stops with water/snacks/facilities about every 5 miles on the vehicle closure area which is very nice but I've ridden it during regular non-closure days and it was OK then too. If you ride all way round there is about 9 miles on the west road with vehicle traffic which was very light last Saturday but can be heavy. The east side road is receiving a much needed re-pavement and was very smooth where it has been completed, next year should be a good time to do the ride with paving being completed. Your new steed should be a great bike for doing the ride.

Pics from several years ago in the spring in areas of partial vehicle closure due to snow
IMG_0270.JPG
IMG_0259.JPG
IMG_0255.JPG
IMG_0268.JPG

Back