Ride the rim, Crater Lake

EMGX

Saturdays Sept 10 and 17.
They close the east rim road to motor vehicles until 6pm
I've done this ride a few times on regular non-assist bikes and it is not to be missed. I've met people from Europe who came over for it. Ebikes allowed but no throttles - it's a hike/bike event not a motor scooter event. I hope there aren't any idiots riding their pseudo - ebikes throttling along like little motorcycles, or if they are they get kicked off the route unless they have a real disability.
FYIs
- there are well provisioned rest stops about every 5 miles with porta johns, water, oranges/bananas clif and other energy bars etc - free and registration isn't required although a $10 donation is suggested and well deserved.
- past years you could ride 24 miles down to the visitors center, leave your bike and take a free (donation) bus back to the start of the ride where most people park, this year no buses apparently. The west rim road isn't as long but doesn't have a shoulder (or much of one) and traffic can be heavy including wide RVs. I'm just going to ride the east rim most scenic area which is about 20 miles to the last rest stop before a long downhill, then turn around and ride back. That is the most scenic area and will get to experience it twice.

Edit:
the web site seems to have removed the statement that there will be no shuttle this year, at least I can't find that info today (9/5).

I'm sort of going back and forth about riding ebike or regular bike. It is hilly and I thought a good workout but past years I've only seen a couple ebikes and I've seen very obese people riding the entire route on beach cruisers with rusty chains so an ebike isn't at all necessary but might make it more fun instead of a more strenuous/exercise ride.
20190914_093405.jpg

Last edited:
sounds like a great biking opportunity. Why not take the ebike? After all, you don't need to use power if you don't want to, but it's there if you need it.

sounds like a great biking opportunity. Why not take the ebike? After all, you don't need to use power if you don't want to, but it's there if you need it.
The big negative of an ebike to me is simply the weight. I have a BH (Yamaha PW-SE) gravel bike that is supposed to be one of the lighter ebikes but weighs 41#. My DIY bikes (like the Schwinn in the above picture that I have converted with a TSDZ2 torque sensing mid drive) weighs about the same with an equivalent battery. Without the motor and battery the Schwinn weighs less than 30#. For whatever reason the extra weight bothers me, especially when riding without assist unless on flatter areas. I've taken the motor off of that bike a few times just to revert back to the joy of riding it in its lighter state.
I'm thinking that I might take the Schwinn ebike and a sub 30# Dahon Jack 26" folder and ride both scheduled Saturdays, once on each bike.

The Crater Lake ride is a fantastic biking experience, especially with the rest stations so you don't really have to carry anything other than a water bottle to fill. I'm really looking forward to doing it again, especially since it was cancelled in '20 and '21.

I've ridden it also when snow blocks some of the road in the spring so no cars allowed then either. Want to do that again also, maybe next year for that.
IMG_0268.JPG
IMG_0269.JPG
IMG_0259.JPG

Here’s a link: https://ridetherimoregon.com/
Looks outstanding except…….for me anyways…….I’m NOT a big fan of riding with VERY VERY LARGE GROUPS.
Maybe it will be more crowded this year but the ones I've done in the past didn't seem crowded at all to me. The riders were mostly spread out and not everyone starts at the same time. When I've arrived early there was almost no-one else within sight (the road closes to motor vehicles the night before so you can start riding as early as you want.
I don't remember when the rest stations are staffed, maybe that is listed on the web site (edit: 8am). A couple spur roads to view points had very few riders on them. Much better than when motor vehicles are allowed in any case.

Last edited:
That’s encouraging !!
This ride has been a long time desire of mine to do.
So I have to convince myself that the cost of about $800 is worth the roughly 5 hours of spectacular riding and the camaraderie of course of the ride experience.
I’d be driving up from the Las Vegas area with my Riese and Muller Delite (less than 2 years old with over 10,000 accumulated miles on it) for the event.

That’s encouraging !!
This ride has been a long time desire of mine to do.
So I have to convince myself that the cost of about $800 is worth the roughly 5 hours of spectacular riding and the camaraderie of course of the ride experience.
I’d be driving up from the Las Vegas area with my Riese and Muller Delite (less than 2 years old with over 10,000 accumulated miles on it) for the event.
You'll be riding in style then!
I cant imagine anyone being disappointed, unless it rains, sleets, snows. The times I've ridden the weather has been spectacular, sunny with mild temps.
I'm camping on Diamond Lake but one year when my wife came with me we stayed at Diamond Lake Resort at one of the lakeside cabins, they were dated but clean.
I might bring a kayak.

Okay, I’ve convinced myself to go on this epic ride. I’ll be riding the Sept. 10th date.
What pushed me over the edge was the fact that I don’t get many opportunities to make new memories so why not go and have a GREAT time I’m sure.
I’ll also be camping on Diamond Lake….looks like a fantastic spot and hopefully it won’t be full since it’s off season/first come first serve.
Plan is to arrive Friday, Sep. 9th afternoon at Diamond Lake CG.
Anyone else going?

Edit: Like the OP I plan on starting at North Junction and riding the east rim about 20 miles, turning around and riding back to North Junction.
Hopefully I can park or carpool to North Junction but if not will adapt :)
Looks like about 40 miles total with approximately 4,500’ elevation gain riding this route according to Google maps elevation guide.

Last edited:
Yes, I am also real interested in the New Zip line riding, I love Zip lines, have done the one in Calif over the wild animal park, even the better half thought it was a fun ride,
but she won't do Ebikes??
I wonder if the "Old man" is still around? I seen it in the early 60's, it was always a treat to find it before grandpa did.

Okay, I’ve convinced myself to go on this epic ride. I’ll be riding the Sept. 10th date.
What pushed me over the edge was the fact that I don’t get many opportunities to make new memories so why not go and have a GREAT time I’m sure.
I’ll also be camping on Diamond Lake….looks like a fantastic spot and hopefully it won’t be full since it’s off season/first come first serve.
Plan is to arrive Friday, Sep. 9th afternoon at Diamond Lake CG.
Anyone else going?

Edit: Like the OP I plan on starting at North Junction and riding the east rim about 20 miles, turning around and riding back to North Junction.
Hopefully I can park or carpool to North Junction but if not will adapt :)
Looks like about 40 miles total with approximately 4,500’ elevation gain riding this route according to Google maps elevation guide.
When I've been there after the reservation season there have been plenty of available campsites, just not along the lakeside. This time I might ride all the way from the campground. It would add about 15 miles and 2700 feet of climbing. But hey, I'm riding an ebike.

When I've been there after the reservation season there have been plenty of available campsites, just not along the lakeside. This time I might ride all the way from the campground. It would add about 15 miles and 2700 feet of climbing. But hey, I'm riding an ebike.
I looked at that too.
What kind of range does your ebike have?
Do you carry a spare battery or ?
It looks like it would be about 70 miles total with almost 7000‘ total climbing !
My bike and I could do it with a reduced average speed from my usual 15 mph average.
Edit: After taking a closer look at Google maps, there are at least a few smaller places to park before arriving to the start of the ride point, North Junction.
This is coming from the north entrance to Crater Lake. It would cut down the riding distance/time considerable. FYI.

Last edited:
the last 15 miles of that 70 mile total is almost entirely coasting downhill so I don't count that against range. When I'm riding up grades I don't ride very fast and try to put in a lot of my own effort so I think I could make the other 55 miles even with the elevation gain. I've ridden as far as 130+ miles on my Schwinn hybrid with TSDZ2 mid drive conversion with a single charge 48v 15ah battery including several thousand feet of climbing (not on one day's ride though). On my BH/Yamaha drive bike the longest ride I did was 73 miles on a 400w battery with 33% charge remaining. I don't want to give the false impression that I'm a strong or fit rider, if I was I wouldn't be riding an ebike - but I do put in as much effort as I can. I'll be there a couple days early so I'll have a chance to give it a test ride, maybe that will change my plans.

Last edited:
webcam image looks good so far. Not sure about any wildfires affecting the area but except for California smoke a while ago Washington has been pretty clear this summer.

I rode around crater lake today. Very little car traffic. Yesterday it rained in the morning then clear. Today smoke was thick especially on the west rim. Thick enough to get a sore throat. East rim was clear in places. If it doesn't clear I might not do the Saturday ride.
IMG_20220908_143432260_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220908_114336844_HDR.jpg

V

Thanks for the update !
I received this today from Klamath Visitor and Convention Bureau:

ARE FIRES IN THE AREA IMPACTING THE EVENT

At this time there is a fire burning in Klamath Falls that is affecting the air quality in Klamath Falls only; Van Meter Fire. There is also a fire near Crater Lake, Cedar Creek Fire, though not too close and is not impacting Crater Lake much. We've seen a small amount of haze yesterday and will see some today, however, after reviewing the wind patterns, it looks like we will have a clear Friday and Saturday and may see a little haze again Saturday evening. At this time, no roads are closed to make it to Crater Lake either. Please use the following resources:

Windy.com – to view wind patterns
AQI – to monitor air quality
National Weather Service – to see a weather forecast
Webcams – to view webcams at Crater Lake
Tripcheck.com – to view road conditions

Did you make it for the ride?
I wasn't able to reply because very spotty and weak cell coverage.
Besides the ride I did completely around Crater Lake on Thursday I did the sponsored ride on Saturday. Instead of riding around the lake on Saturday I rode to the 4th rest stop ~20 miles then rode back to the start. Smoke wasn't bad and had a great time. I had wanted to hike up Mt. Scott today but the smoke was oppressive so I drove home. There was smoke the entire 270 mile drive home but it was the worst in the Crater Lake area up to LaPine.

No I didn’t.
I just couldn’t convince myself in the long run of driving 26 hours (roundtrip), spending $360 for gas and camping for three nights all for a half day of bike riding. And when I saw that smoke was forecast that was the nail that ended it for me.
Now if “they” did something for Lake Tahoe count me IN :)

No I didn’t.
I just couldn’t convince myself in the long run of driving 26 hours (roundtrip), spending $360 for gas and camping for three nights all for a half day of bike riding. And when I saw that smoke was forecast that was the nail that ended it for me.
Now if “they” did something for Lake Tahoe count me IN :)
Completely understand
Here is view from my campsite on diamond lake after Thursday ride. Couldn't even see the opposite shore.
IMG_20220908_180524008.jpg

Saturday started somewhat smokey but it cleared and it was a beautiful day for the ride.
IMG_20220910_114010875.jpg

Back