Crash today on black ice

Sorry to hear about your accident, Eric.
Crashing on black ice happens instantaneously and is unavoidable. The fall is always face down, and the injuries may hurt for 6 weeks or more.

After I had my first and only black ice crash, I immediately ordered a set of Schwalbe studded tyres. I now ride all my e-bikes on studded tyres in the winter.

Ow Ow Ow!
Tis the season to ride careful!
Just recovered from a big dose of major bruised ribs that took FOREVER to heal up!

My black ice crash was in 1971 and on a motorcycle. Everything started out ok, and there was no ice where the ride began, but a few turns later the bike just went out from under me and we slid across the other lane and into a granite curb. Luckily, there was nothing coming the other way, but I did manage to break my wrist and the front brake lever.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your accident, Eric.
Crashing on black ice happens instantaneously and is unavoidable. The fall is always face down, and the injuries may hurt for 6 weeks or more.

After I had my first and only black ice crash, I immediately ordered a set of Schwalbe studded tyres. I now ride all my e-bikes on studded tyres in the winter.
Good idea. Especially for days with uneven icy road conditions. Yesterday I should not have ridden (was too eager after a week and a half without riding because i had to wait for a new battery). Went back home, took the car to go to work and almost had a car crash!

Is there such a thing as snow tires for bikes or way to add chains to your tires? Boy just looking at that road gives me a flashback to losing control of a car back in the day in Boulder. On a downhill....
Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pros are pretty good, but there's many choices out there.
I have them for both my bikes - I wouldn't ride in the winter without. Noisy as all heck, but amazing grip.

you never know what roads will be like. when I went to work yesterday there was ice on the road so I walked my bike to the train and it was dry when I got to work.
yesterday it was 38 degrees when we were on ur tandem and on the bike path I noticed frost on the path shining in my light. I am sure it was ok as the path was not sopping wet but I got off it because why take the chance? I watcxh my garmins temp on my ride as it can be plenty warm till the middle of my ride and it can be 32.

My last ice crash was in 2019 on Christmas Eve morning. Trains weren't running so I had to ride early to work in the next town 20K. One path ends and another picks up the other side of a vacant lot. I hit frost on a piece of melamine. Boom. This morning the risk would be slipping on worms. It rained and the worms have come out. A broken collar bone takes months to heal and there is no real way to set it. I hope you are okay with nothing broken.

Are you guys riding on ice and in cold weather because you have to or you are choosing to do it?

Are you guys riding on ice and in cold weather because you have to or you are choosing to do it?
The choice here, but NEVER on icy streets without studded tires. And even then ultra caution. Making low-speed turns I used my legs and feet like outriggers. That said being in my 70s brittle, and having watched this, I've decided to no longer ride on ice. Thanks for the share OP. I hope your recovery is quick and you're riding again soon!!

@Eric0976 - Sorry to hear about your crash and hope that your recovery is swift.

I’ve had a few close calls but have never have never been involved in a serious crash. Studded tires make a world of difference but even they have limits of adhesion. Lower PSI provides better traction as more studs are able to come in contact with ice or hard pack. I also wear traction devices such as Yaktrax on the bottom of my boots when I know for sure there is ice present when dismounting from my bike. In our cold and snowy climate, one can either stay indoors or venture out with the proper tires and a bit of common sense. Personally, I choose to ride in winter as it beats the alternative of either sitting on the couch or training like a lab rat in the basement which I reluctantly do when it's too cold out.

Man, that can happen so easily. I stepped on wet leaves on a sloped driveway last week, and fell on my butt. No bike necessary.

I hope you have a speedy recovery, @Eric0976!

Back