Crank Arm Options for the Hydra

Cuz Vinny

Currently the only options for crank arms for the Hydra are the aluminum and carbon versions from WW. I came across two possible alternatives from Hope Tech and Lekkie. The Bafang Ultra uses the ISIS mount so I’m pretty sure these would fit but the question is the offset and frame clearance. The Lekkie arms are probably the better bet as far as fitment as you can get them in a wider offset which should clear the frame on the Hydra. I’ll have to send them an email to confirm as well as Hope. If these two will fit the Hydra it will give us alternative options and lengths vs what comes on the bike. Keeping fingers crossed.

Hope all the way. No way am i going near lekkie cranks again. When mine show up i'll let you know.

The cranks will fit its the clearance i'm mindful of with it being a fatty, pretty sure they'll be ok, i'm even more sure they'll be fine for a standard chainstay. Question is 155 or 160?

You guys are amazing. Glad you're working this out as I know I will want crank arms as short as is reasonable and workable.

Hope there's something left to be checked out where my efforts can benifit you.

Am I missing something, what is the problem with the standard WW crank arms?

No problem for me. Where I ride I am climbing almost all the time first half of the ride then coasting down for second half. As my but is sore by then I frequently stand up. Sometimes for short periods with pedals equadistant from the ground, more frequently with one pedal or the other all the way down.

Infrequent pedal strike or heal drag. Bad form I'm sure but it feels comfortable.

I asked Pushkar and he said neither the Lekkie or the Hope will work with the Hydra. Will be interesting to see your results.
That's why i've ordered through the LBS, no problem taking them back. I'm not sure which one pushkar has tried/seen tried, there are 3 variants, the 'standard' is more recent and has the greatest offset.

Screenshot 2021-07-02 at 13-51-14 E-BIKECrankFitmentDiagram_web pdf.png

Screenshot 2021-07-02 at 13-51-34 E-BIKECrankFitmentDiagram_web pdf.png

Screenshot 2021-07-02 at 14-33-56 E-BIKECrankFitmentDiagram_web pdf.png

Just another choice for you guys on crank arms. Like many of you I got my motor with the standard 170mm WW cranks and had numerous pedal strikes mostly due to the rear suspension flex. So I ordered a set from a company in the UK. Merlin cycles and they fit great. They are actually KTM brand and I got the 160mm and they have worked out fine. Cost was about $60 plus reasonable shipping and I got them in less than a week, yes a week. They also carry the 152mm crank arms also. They are Aluminum and splined to fit the Ultra.

Last edited:
That's great. I was thinking 170 down to 150 would be a worthwhile reduction for me. (This from a person with 2.5 months ebike experience.)

Just another choice for you guys on crank arms. Like many of you I got my motor with the standard 170mm WW cranks and had numerous pedal strikes mostly due to the rear suspension flex. So I ordered a set from a company in the UK. Merlin cycles and they fit great. They are actually KTM brand and I got the 160mm and they have worked out fine. Cost was about $60 plus reasonable shipping and I got them in less than a week, yes a week. They also carry the 151mm crank arms also. They are Aluminum and splined to fit the Ultra.
I spent some time on single track today and also experienced more pedal strikes than anticipated due to the suspension flex. I'll be looking into some new arms as well.

I got a killer deal on the Hope crank arms from my local LBS. Only $189.00 shipped to them. They list for around $220.00 so naturally I jumped on the offer. I figure if they don’t fit I can easily sell them and get my money back. They are orange, of course, and 165mm length. Also have a 104 BCD chainring adapter and 36T RaceFace narrow wide chainring coming. I don’t need a 40+ mph bike and want the additional torque the smaller front ring will give.

Those are some nice looking cranks. I think I only paid about $50 for my Miranda’s. They seem fine but no way are they the quality of Hope‘s. 150’s definitely cut down on peddle strikes but doesn’t completely eliminate them. Installed on my Travelanche but will fit the Hydra as well.

I got a killer deal on the Hope crank arms from my local LBS. Only $189.00 shipped to them. They list for around $220.00 so naturally I jumped on the offer. I figure if they don’t fit I can easily sell them and get my money back. They are orange, of course, and 165mm length. Also have a 104 BCD chainring adapter and 36T RaceFace narrow wide chainring coming. I don’t need a 40+ mph bike and want the additional torque the smaller front ring will give.
I'm not sure about the raceface chainrings you know. They're thinner than the standard bafang chainring and i'm not sure how well they'll do vs an ultra. You'll need some shorter chainring bolts too.

Surly do a steel one that i might give a go.

I'm not sure about the raceface chainrings you know. They're thinner than the standard bafang chainring and i'm not sure how well they'll do vs an ultra. You'll need some shorter chainring bolts too.

Surly do a steel one that i might give a go.
Had RaceFace on my CYC X1 powered fat bike with no issues. Guess I’m gonna find out.

Had RaceFace on my CYC X1 powered fat bike with no issues. Guess I’m gonna find out.
I've got a raceface on mine now but during the swapover it's very noticeably thinner, hence needing shorter chainbolts, i did this changeover a few weeks ago so im speaking from experience not outta my arse.

Back