Crank Arm Options for the Hydra

I've got a raceface on mine now but during the swapover it's very noticeably thinner, hence needing shorter chainbolts, i did this changeover a few weeks ago so im speaking from experience not outta my arse.
Never said you were. Waiting for the parts to arrive and then I’ll source new chain ring bolts. Probably going to grab some Wolf Tooth Components bolts in the same color as the chain ring.

Yeah I ditched the big steel chainring that came with the motor and got a Wolftooth 39t chainring. Mounting bolts fit fine also. Seems to be holding up good . Nine months and no skipping, chain suck or drop. I think having the KMC E-bike chain (about $50) and keeping the drivetrain clean and lubed really makes a difference in longevity creating less stress and resistance which is a good thing JMO.

@greeno - the Wolf Tooth, was it the oval or round, and narrow/wide or standard? I love my Wolfie and how well it works on my analog bike (Cannondale Bad Boy)…
-BB

My Wolftooth chainring is round and has the narrow/wide tooth config. I think I paid about $60 for it. For my bike i can't go any smaller and still be with the 130BCD mount. I can get an adapter down to 110BCD that fits but then it has the (4) mounting bolts instead of the (5) I currently run.
Just checked online and they run $89 now and I don't see the 39t. They have 38t and 40t. Wolftooth Components website has them, Jenson to I think. Gotta go for a ride now. Good luck.

Last edited:
I can confirm the Hope crank arms in standard size fit. I have the 155's.
My LBS ordered me the specialized ones with zero offset o_O i just shook my head when he showed them to me, i could've walked to Hope they're about 20 miles away grr.

Has the shorter length affected torque sensing?

My LBS ordered me the specialized ones with zero offset o_O i just shook my head when he showed them to me, i could've walked to Hope they're about 20 miles away grr.

Has the shorter length affected torque sensing?
I haven't been able to ride with them. My Kindernay was leaking and has been sent back to Norway so I'm waiting on it to get back so I can get my rear wheel out back together.

But if it does impact it some, which I suspect it will, I can adjust the PAS in the settings which is the great thing as about the programming cable.

Yes I like know what it is?
I would do a 100mi shake down ride. Determined what is the reason for why I need to change anything..
I'm gonna ask WW to make my Hydra ready to ride out of the box.
No need changed anything.
Motor and drive train should go 500miles .
I don't wanna change anything before 500miles.
Everyone is going to ride these things differently. I wanted a shorter crank arm due to some pedal strikes I was getting on a singletrack near my home when the suspension was flexing hard. If I was just riding a typical offroad trail or fire road, I wouldn't have cared. There are threads in here of people buying Hydra's for commuting and there would have been no reason to change. And, with the assist the motors provide I wasn't as concerned about leverage so I went from 170 down to 155.

I changed my handlebar because the one I purchased was damaged (by FedEx) and I didn't want to have to look at the damage on a new bike because where it was it stared me in the face. There was nothing wrong with the one I had.

I also changed my display because of a thread I saw in here on the smaller Bafang 500C. I like the smaller footprint of the smaller display. The other one worked just fine. I didn't need to ride the bike to know I wanted to replace the dispay to something more discreet. I also removed my throttle because it's not something I'll use and because I wanted to clean up the cockpit of my bike with all the wires. Getting rid of the throttle and the brake cut-off wires on my levers eliminated 5 different wires on the front of my bike and removing the display got rid of another since the buttons are integrated on the 500C.

This was all personal preference for me, nothing to do with any issues or problems with the way it came from WW.

I love the clarity and personal responsibility outlined. Sounds like a top end custom bike is now uniquely personalized.

Everyone is going to ride these things differently. I wanted a shorter crank arm due to some pedal strikes I was getting on a singletrack near my home when the suspension was flexing hard. If I was just riding a typical offroad trail or fire road, I wouldn't have cared. There are threads in here of people buying Hydra's for commuting and there would have been no reason to change. And, with the assist the motors provide I wasn't as concerned about leverage so I went from 170 down to 155.

I changed my handlebar because the one I purchased was damaged (by FedEx) and I didn't want to have to look at the damage on a new bike because where it was it stared me in the face. There was nothing wrong with the one I had.

I also changed my display because of a thread I saw in here on the smaller Bafang 500C. I like the smaller footprint of the smaller display. The other one worked just fine. I didn't need to ride the bike to know I wanted to replace the dispay to something more discreet. I also removed my throttle because it's not something I'll use and because I wanted to clean up the cockpit of my bike with all the wires. Getting rid of the throttle and the brake cut-off wires on my levers eliminated 5 different wires on the front of my bike and removing the display got rid of another since the buttons are integrated on the 500C.

This was all personal preference for me, nothing to do with any issues or problems with the way it came from WW.
Yup, all about personal preference. Only reason I modded mine to the max. Still waiting on a few parts to come in and then it will be done.

Each individual Hydra is a sight to behold. Someone used the analogy of a work of art with regard to a frame or a bike. I definitely feel that way when I look at a picture of Cuz Vinny's bike that is so personalized and color cordinated.

Not what I would do with mine....but maybe that's part of the beauty in it for me - that wouldn't even occur to me!

Back