• F8A86C7B-D764-458B-BA80-9AFCBE9DF956.jpeg
    F8A86C7B-D764-458B-BA80-9AFCBE9DF956.jpeg
    207.8 KB · Views: 91
  • BDBFB6E4-251F-4133-B5BF-FEC64102B490.jpeg
    BDBFB6E4-251F-4133-B5BF-FEC64102B490.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 90
Any idea on how to repair this crack on 2 yr old Rize
We own 2 and this is shocking to me
it cant really be repaired it would cost more for someone who is qualified to do it then the bike may be worth. the bike only has a 1 year warranty that looks like it includes the frame. You can contact them and maybe they would be good about it? but still you will need someone to build you the bike back again if they replaced the frame and did not pay for the labor.

it cant really be repaired it would cost more for someone who is qualified to do it then the bike may be worth. the bike only has a 1 year warranty that looks like it includes the frame. You can contact them and maybe they would be good about it? but still you will need someone to build you the bike back again if they replaced the frame and did not pay for the labor.
Pitiful bike for $2500

This is a tough one. It looks like the metal is very thin by the picture so welding does not seem like it would work without fish plating. Maybe a a piece of pipe or a piece of a seat post could be inserted all the way down inside to bridge the crack. If the pipe could be epoxied (JB weld epoxy) in place well would make a much stronger repair.

I wish you would post this problem on the RIze known problems thread: https://forums.electricbikereview.c...ze-bikes-products-help-solutions-fixes.32386/
That way future prospects that want a Rize can count the posts and have some measure of the brand's quality. There is no excuse for a cracked frame, in the USA lawsuits by consumers are prevalent. Perhaps in Canada a company has less potential cost for a broken frame?
will do re the Rize post as their reply simply was out of warranty need new frame
2 yrs old we bought 2 totalling $6000
my wife is 120 lbs
stored in side house during winter months
needless to say a bit pissed

That looks really strange, did the bottle boss/braze on get ripped out by something. Possibly something other than a water bottle? Or it just fell out on its own?

Could you have over-tightened the screw or did you have a heavy lock mounted there? Or could you be catching the bottle cage getting on or off the bike, slowly stressing the mounting point? That's a weird crack for sure.

I've seen something like that happen on a early Cannondale road bike.

Could you have over-tightened the screw or did you have a heavy lock mounted there? Or could you be catching the bottle cage getting on or off the bike, slowly stressing the mounting point? That's a weird crack for sure.
My wife quite possibly caught her foot on the holder but the crack is something entirely unrelated
I have never put a wrench to any of the screws on either bike
just very frustrating after paying so much for a bike
i will attempt to insert pipe in the tube wrap the bottom with a rad hose type hose then put 2-3 clamps around the tube

Are you certain that the crack is into the tubing, kind of looks like it is just in the paint to me? It is also cracking lower down towards the weld. There really is no good way to repair aluminum tubing other than welding and then heat treating. I don't think hose clamps would fix it if it is in fact the tubing that is cracking.

Regardless it is a bad scenario that reflects on Rize and their manufacturer. Even if out of warranty they should work with you in some regard.

Are you certain that the crack is into the tubing, kind of looks like it is just in the paint to me? It is also cracking lower down towards the weld. There really is no good way to repair aluminum tubing other than welding and then heat treating. I don't think hose clamps would fix it if it is in fact the tubing that is cracking.

Regardless it is a bad scenario that reflects on Rize and their manufacturer. Even if out of warranty they should work with you in some regard.
yes maybe just paint pick it off and see.

I've never used aluminum brazing rod but it might work for your cracked frame (IMO that looks like a crack in the frame, not a paint defect). There are plenty of youtube videos using brazing rod on aluminum beverage cans and I'd practice on cans before tackling a bike frame crack. I have MIG welded thin aluminum which is a very fussy task and tends to melt away the part being welded because aluminum melting point is around 1200 degrees. Brazing uses a much lower temperature 700-800 degrees so there is less risk of melting but it might lose its temper.

It's not worth the effort to try and mend it.
Around here there are talented tig welders capable to replace seat tube with
thicker aluminum walls.
Common flaw on hardtail rigid frame step thru is something will break if you are overloading or another factor that caused the Crack is "shockload " this happens when rear wheel is lock and you ride over deep potholes you try to avoid but rode through it anyway.
I kind of like Frey savanna frame for a stepthru. It comes with bar gusset welded on seat tube to downtube.
My advice is sell it on Craigslist best offer Crack seat tube and post lots of pictures.
You rode it for two years it paid for itself.
Gift yourself more funner Ebike for Christmas.

Yeah, that's just get a new frame. I had a Miata steel frame crack, though this was quite a few years ago. They did give me a new frame. Though I had to swap everything out. The crack started in the top tube where there were holes drilled to route the cables internally.
It would be nice if they at least gave you a new frame.

My friend repaired a completely snapped down tube on his Scott ebike with a seat post knocked in and two bolts drilled through top and bottom, you can barely see it and it's lasted years with serious abuse.

Doubtful that you will find a welder who is willing to put his butt on the line in repairing that frame crack. Forget about JB Weld (or any other epoxy) and forget about learning how to braze or weld aluminum. Your safety is not worth it when you find yourself going down some grade at 30 plus mph and a homemade crack repair. After reading your thread, I went down below to the "Similar Threads" section to read of the run around given by Rize to @James F. Smith, who also made the well intentioned but big mistake of buying from this business.

1 year warranty on a frame is a bit weak, imo.

For safety and peace of mind, sell the remaining good ebike you have, strip the components off the broken frame bike, include everything in a package deal and walk away from this 3rd tier ebike. Get yourself and the missus a Trek, Zen or Specialized, one with a good warranty and the people who want to stand behind their product because they believe in it.

Back