Counter-intuitive: Lower gas prices lead to higher e-bike sales

• Thread starter Deleted member 4210
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4210

Of course no big study has been done, however I've noticed that more e-bike purchases come from people who drive pick up trucks, and larger SUV's, and when gas prices are lower there seems to be an uptick of those folks buying e-bikes. Maybe its the fact that the low gas prices allow them to spend big money on pick ups and SUV's, and while fuel is a relatively lower expense (versus insurance, depreciation, etc), the low gas price helps them feel good about their decision, and adds a psychological boost. Maybe the e-bike option added to their mix of transportation choices, can become a more regular mode of transportation (than just a normal bike with no assist), allowing them to ditch a 2nd or 3rd car ? The pick ups and SUV's are much more utilitarian than sedans, so it makes sense to these folks to keep that vehicle, and then have their 'fun' in getting from point A to point B for simple errands, and then exercise too ! The e-bike solution becomes their 'environmentally' conscious choice, rather than maybe even a Prius. Consider too how all these car manufacturt

Gas today is $1.89/gallon at local Costco !

Happy E-Biking folks !

P.S. Don't take this post too seriously. And puhlease, no politics.

Possibly having a utility vehicle helps to enable transport for a couple of heavy e-bikes to trails and other riding opportunities. It is one thing to transport a couple of lightweight road bikes on a rack strapped to the trunk lid of a Prius, but a whole different problem to transport a couple of 60# e-bikes. I probably wouldn't have bought my e-bikes if I didn't have a pickup with the 2" heavy duty hitch.

I've seen zero other e-bikes in Clark Cty IN since September. Plenty of pedal bikes are still out despite 20 deg days and freezing rain. If pickup owners are buying e-bikes now, they are hiding them in the shed for Santa Claus.

Of course no big study has been done, however I've noticed that more e-bike purchases come from people who drive pick up trucks, and larger SUV's...

More Americans are driving trucks and SUVs (hence GM and Ford cutting sedan lineups). Lots of reasons to buy an e-bike apart from some sense of environmental responsibility.

I drive a hybrid sedan and a Subaru Forester (I guess classifies as an SUV). If I were coming to your shop to buy a bike, I'd definitely drive the Subaru and not the hybrid. And you would conclude "see, another SUV driver buying an e-bike".

Gasoline a giffen good? Examples in eco class are potatoes in Ireland and vodka in Russia/Poland, when the price goes down of a staple item real inome increases and less is cosumed as there is more real income for superior goods.

Back