Conventional Road Bike to Vado SL. Thoughts?

Yeah one dealer said that "official" supply was Zero, but there might be one in Denver and it would be another $200 shipping. Kind of ticked me off since they said they continued to expect supply to improve.. I'm not desperate at this point.
Don't just shop on price details. The LBS is your contact for support from Specialized. Make sure the one you select is willing to fully support the bike. An e-bike is not quite like a standard road bike where you can find parts and support at any bike shop. Some parts are just bike parts but the major parts are computerized parts that need the Specialized proprietary dealer tools for support. If there are any warranty issues then it's your LBS that will be the one dealing with Specialized. The low bidder may not be so cheap if support is needed.
I bought the Vado 4.0 medium three weeks ago (Oregon) but also had my head-turned by the Creo as a road-biker. But, price was a factor - particularly as there is no track record (yet) of how long the battery lasts and Speciailized long-time support etc. I am happy with the bike. It is a little less comfortable: straight handlebars, more upright, harder 'feel'. I may change the grips going forward. I rationalised buying it because I borrowed an aluminium bike for a 10 day cycle-trip of circa 450 miles once. The first day it was tough but by day 3, I forgot it was aluminium and did not find the bike uncomfortable. I bought the mudguards separately and will not install a rack. I will add either a large seat-post bag or a handlebar bag for my commute. I am actually glad it is different than my road bike as I want to keep road biking with a club. This is for commuting, when I am on my own, going up steep hills, maybe touring. It is nice to take the intimidation away.
I would not worry about how long the Specialized battery lasts. The "warranty guarantee minimum" is 300 cycles but that is not the expected life. Most likely you will have upgrade-itis long before the battery wears out.

Don't just shop on price details. The LBS is your contact for support from Specialized. Make sure the one you select is willing to fully support the bike. An e-bike is not quite like a standard road bike where you can find parts and support at any bike shop. Some parts are just bike parts but the major parts are computerized parts that need the Specialized proprietary dealer tools for support. If there are any warranty issues then it's your LBS that will be the one dealing with Specialized. The low bidder may not be so cheap if support is needed.

I would not worry about how long the Specialized battery lasts. The "warranty guarantee minimum" is 300 cycles but that is not the expected life. Most likely you will have upgrade-itis long before the battery wears out.
Thanks. This was from a Specialized-only dealer that wanted more $ to relocate from another one of their own stores. But they are not the only dealer in town.

FWIW, after several rides on my Vado 4.0 and many on my conventional hybrid, the last couple of weeks I've been taking my Felt VR5 carbon road bike down and using it on some of the same paved trails. It is great to be back on it -- so light, responsive, quiet, and smooth-rolling! I'm still planning on a Vado SL 5.0 when one becomes available, but it seems like every time I think I can eliminate one of my bikes (out of three), I take a ride that reminds me while I still like them all so much.

So why replace your Roubaix as long as you have room to keep it? I doubt it's worth that much any longer and there are still many nice roads in Ohio for actual road riding.

FWIW, after several rides on my Vado 4.0 and many on my conventional hybrid, the last couple of weeks I've been taking my Felt VR5 carbon road bike down and using it on some of the same paved trails. It is great to be back on it -- so light, responsive, quiet, and smooth-rolling! I'm still planning on a Vado SL 5.0 when one becomes available, but it seems like every time I think I can eliminate one of my bikes (out of three), I take a ride that reminds me while I still like them all so much.

So why replace your Roubaix as long as you have room to keep it? I doubt it's worth that much any longer and there are still many nice roads in Ohio for actual road riding.
Yes I expect I'll keep it. At a minimum, I still enjoy riding it on my trainer where it lives most of the time now. I will probably sell my Charge hybrid though. Had dinner with some Road riding friends on Friday and they are intrigued with the whole "fitness ebike" idea, so maybe I'll be starting a trend with them! Of course, if I could only find one...

U
Yes I expect I'll keep it. At a minimum, I still enjoy riding it on my trainer where it lives most of the time now. I will probably sell my Charge hybrid though. Had dinner with some Road riding friends on Friday and they are intrigued with the whole "fitness ebike" idea, so maybe I'll be starting a trend with them! Of course, if I could only find one...
Unless you want a Creo Carbon comp Evo in M. Thinking of selling mine for a more upright ride.

I just purchased a 2021 Turbo Vado SL 4.0 (Not EQ) this week in Minnesota and the dealer had quite a few Vados and Creos. This dealer has 30 outlets in the Midwest.

Disclaimer, I have no association with this dealer.

Just to determine how many might be available I did a search for the Vado SL 4.0 before I purchased and Specialized indicated none online and when I searched the US it came back with one in Michigan and New York, I believe. I see Erik's now has 2022 Vados

I see Erik's now has 2022 Vados
The only '22 I see on there is the step-through (ST) version, which is also what shows up on the main Specialized web site. The specs there show that it has the SRAM drivetrain and MasterMind TCU. What I keep checking for is to verify that the 2022 5.0 SL non-ST also has those changes before I put money down on one. I'm assuming that's the case, but don't want to put in a deposit only to have a current-model SL show up that they found somewhere in current stock.

The only '22 I see on there is the step-through (ST) version, which is also what shows up on the main Specialized web site. The specs there show that it has the SRAM drivetrain and MasterMind TCU. What I keep checking for is to verify that the 2022 5.0 SL non-ST also has those changes before I put money down on one. I'm assuming that's the case, but don't want to put in a deposit only to have a current-model SL show up that they found somewhere in current stock.
I think Velome meant full power Vados.

Is there a price increase from 2021 version?

Is there a price increase from 2021 version?
On the Japan site there is about an ¥85,000 (~$800) price increase with the non-ST, about ¥200,000 (~$1850) more for their new top end bikes. I think everything went up. Step through is not sold here.

Last edited:
Pictures!
Absolutel blast to ride!
20210808_121110.jpg

Wow, nice! How much was it? I wish I could find a used one exactly like this and in medium.
I will keep the details private other than to say I got a nice discount and the seller saved a bike shop consignment fee. Everybody wins. It was a Medium too so lucky me!

Back