Considering a Gazelle, Pros and Cons?

Couldn't disagree with this more, perhaps the shops ability to communicate effectively is the issue? Our outside rep and everyone with Gazelle has been incredible and we usually move 150+ units a year. Not only has warranty support been great (infrequent too, well built stuff) but they'll compensate for my technician's time too, lots of other brands don't do that.

Anyway I can help out?

RE vague specs, that's across lots of brands due to the parts shortage. What info are you looking for?
Thanks for the quick response (I’m still waiting to hear back from Gazelle, so perhaps experiences differ). We test road the Medeo t10+ and really liked them, but I am a big guy so I wanted the best wheels I could get on the stock bike hoping I wouldn’t need to get a custom wheel made.

Reading/watching the reviews that Gazelle links to on their product page, we were led to believe upgrading to the Ultimate series would get us: Better wheels & tires, Deore XT shifter /or groupset (reviewers were not always crystal clear on this), different seat, different grips, and a Suntour 80mm travel air shock ( nice for a bigger guy as air suspension is more adjustable). So we ordered the Ultimates, which the LBS had to bring in from another store.

I was really surprised when we went to pick up the bikes that two of the key features we wanted (XT groupset and air suspension fork) were not on the bike. While dissapointed, I could live with the deore groupset, as one can add XT shifters to the standard Deore and get the double shift feature the XT provides. However, missing the adjustable air suspension fork was a huge disappointment as I don’t think /know if the spring suspension will work well with my weight.
So I contacted Gazelle about the wheelset and got the info I needed. I replied, thanked them, and asked for details on what fork came with my bike (there is zero documentation included with the fork and no details on their website). Also, doing a side by side comparison with the Medeo t10+, there is a different shifter on each of our Ultimates that are not used on the Medeo.

So two questions perhaps you can assist with:
1. What spring based fork suspension was used in place of the Suntour 45 air suspension, and where can I get a manual on it to see how best to set the pre-load and percent lockout features?

2. What shifter is being used with the deore set on our bikes? I’m wondering if Gazelle switched to deore groupset due to supply chain issues, but did include the XT shifters?

I can’t find any information stating what we purchased. I like to do as much of my own setup & maintenance as I can, but I have almost exclusively ridden touring bikes (no suspension systems), so I would like to find the manuals and specs for what is on our bikes. Sorry for the long post, and I do hope you, Gazelle or someone else on this forum might have this info.

Cheers!

Thanks for the quick response (I’m still waiting to hear back from Gazelle, so perhaps experiences differ). We test road the Medeo t10+ and really liked them, but I am a big guy so I wanted the best wheels I could get on the stock bike hoping I wouldn’t need to get a custom wheel made.

Reading/watching the reviews that Gazelle links to on their product page, we were led to believe upgrading to the Ultimate series would get us: Better wheels & tires, Deore XT shifter /or groupset (reviewers were not always crystal clear on this), different seat, different grips, and a Suntour 80mm travel air shock ( nice for a bigger guy as air suspension is more adjustable). So we ordered the Ultimates, which the LBS had to bring in from another store.

I was really surprised when we went to pick up the bikes that two of the key features we wanted (XT groupset and air suspension fork) were not on the bike. While dissapointed, I could live with the deore groupset, as one can add XT shifters to the standard Deore and get the double shift feature the XT provides. However, missing the adjustable air suspension fork was a huge disappointment as I don’t think /know if the spring suspension will work well with my weight.
So I contacted Gazelle about the wheelset and got the info I needed. I replied, thanked them, and asked for details on what fork came with my bike (there is zero documentation included with the fork and no details on their website). Also, doing a side by side comparison with the Medeo t10+, there is a different shifter on each of our Ultimates that are not used on the Medeo.

So two questions perhaps you can assist with:
1. What spring based fork suspension was used in place of the Suntour 45 air suspension, and where can I get a manual on it to see how best to set the pre-load and percent lockout features?

2. What shifter is being used with the deore set on our bikes? I’m wondering if Gazelle switched to deore groupset due to supply chain issues, but did include the XT shifters?

I can’t find any information stating what we purchased. I like to do as much of my own setup & maintenance as I can, but I have almost exclusively ridden touring bikes (no suspension systems), so I would like to find the manuals and specs for what is on our bikes. Sorry for the long post, and I do hope you, Gazelle or someone else on this forum might have this info.

Cheers!

Every manufacture puts "subject to change" with regards to their componentry and we're seeing that more and more but I would imagine that'll settle down some with the improvement in spare part inventory. Gazelle never used an XT shifter or derailleur, it's always been Deore (which works just fine). Additionally Shimano XT is 11 or 12s only, hasn't been 10s for quite a long time. On the Medeo it's a M6000 and on the Ultimate it's M4120 I believe. Functionally they're interchangeable, it's just where the gear indicator window is located.

Here's the site for the Suntour fork, it's part of the Mobie family and is commonly spec'd on e bikes. The "air suspension" you're mentioning isn't like in mountain bike application where a fork has a valve that you can adjust the pressure of with a shock pump. This is an air spring and the knob at the top is what you'll use to adjust the preload of the spring. It's more rudimentary but totally appropriate for the application compared eMTB stuff.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, this is very helpful, and I very much appreciate your efforts and follow up on this. Since this info isn’t typically covered in the generic bike manuals, I was at a bit of a loss in trying to figure out how these operate.

On another note, after pinging again Gazelle they did finally respond. I have now sent them my bike serial number, and they state they should be able to get me my full build out based on that. Glad to see that they do follow up. I am guessing my emails just fell through the cracks, which can happen with any company. Again, I really appreciate the info you provided and taking the time to follow up. I feel like things are getting back on track!
Thanks!
Bobj.

I can vouch for this! I have been trying to communicate with Gazelle about my new Ultimate ebike purchases. Their website is notoriously vague about what components come on the bike. When I asked them a specific question about spokes I got a quick response. Next I explained I am trying to locate the specs for our bikes, particularly the front shocks (no user manual on how to adjust or maintain them) and the gear sets (not the same as the Medeo, but what they heck are the differences?). Just crickets from Gazelle. Zero follow up or response. Very dissapointed and not at all what I was led to believe about their service.
I emailed Gazelle a couple of questions when I was shopping, and a couple more after purchasing my Ultimate T10+. They've always responded, but have always been a bit slow.

Following up on the correct bike size question. My wife is 5'6" and the small (46) low step Ultimate C8 frame fits her well. I'm looking to buy the 380 low step and I felt the medium frame (53) was too tall. I'm 5'10"/190 lbs and all the charts clearly say that the medium should be correct. My "logic" says that getting the small frame and adjusting it up as needed would be a better solution than getting a medium frame that cannot be adjusted lower. Anyone in my dimensional category with input relative to which frame would work best with the 380 low step? Thanks!

I think I found my answer. Just downloaded the Gazelle Ultimate Geometry page and compared the frame dimensions of the small (46) and medium (53). The ONLY difference in the frame dimensions between the small and medium is the seat tube height. All other dimensions are the same. Given this, I think the small frame would be best for me and just adjust the seat height a little higher. I think that makes sense.

I think I found my answer. Just downloaded the Gazelle Ultimate Geometry page and compared the frame dimensions of the small (46) and medium (53). The ONLY difference in the frame dimensions between the small and medium is the seat tube height. All other dimensions are the same. Given this, I think the small frame would be best for me and just adjust the seat height a little higher. I think that makes sense.
I'm 5'9" and an owner of a Medium size Gazelle Ultimate c380+ for a year and a half. Have 1455 miles on it. When I bought it this model was new and rare in my area, so lack of choice influenced the decision to purchase what was available. The medium seemed a little large for my size, but when I sit and ride it I feel like the king of the road! Don't regret a thing now.

I am 5’9” and have a medium frame Gazelle Ultimate C380. It’s the right size for me. I think a small frame would be too short.

I'm 5'9" and an owner of a Medium size Gazelle Ultimate c380+ for a year and a half. Have 1455 miles on it. When I bought it this model was new and rare in my area, so lack of choice influenced the decision to purchase what was available. The medium seemed a little large for my size, but when I sit and ride it I feel like the king of the road! Don't regret a thing now.
Gazelle bikes tend to be larger than other bikes of the same size.

Average height of men and women in the Netherlands rank among the tallest in the world!

Back