Considering a Gazelle, Pros and Cons?

The only complaint I have, is that a Medium frame T10+ is too tall. I'm 5:11, 194 lb's. Why Gazelle insisted of putting 29r's on a mid sized bike is beyond my understanding. At the very least, 650b's (27.5) would have been a better choice.
Wow, that is really tall for a medium if it doesn’t fit you. Yeah, I had to find a small frame to test ride at 5’4”.

I know I am a bit late into this thread, but it has been useful. The C380+ is on my shortlist. I am 5'6" and the tall tyres have concerned me. On my current ebike (home built) I needed up switching from the 27.5 that the donor came with and putting 26" wheels on it.

I am thinking of the small mid-step frame. I kid you not, I was on the phone yesterday with a Gazelle salesman and he was recommending the 57. Yes, it was all he had in stock.

My shortlist includes: Priority Current, Serial 1 Speed, and the Gazelle C380+

I have had a belt drive bicycle, converted to a front-driven wheel bike, it is on a long term loan to a family member. It had a VuVinci N360. My current bike has a Nuvinci N380. As you can see, I am pretty sold on the Nuvinci for commuting and want to get back to a belt drive.

Where I am, it is several hundred miles, each way for a test ride. Given 5'6", do you think the 46 mid-Step makes more sense than the 53 mid-step?

I know I am a bit late into this thread, but it has been useful. The C380+ is on my shortlist. I am 5'6" and the tall tyres have concerned me. On my current ebike (home built) I needed up switching from the 27.5 that the donor came with and putting 26" wheels on it.

I am thinking of the small mid-step frame. I kid you not, I was on the phone yesterday with a Gazelle salesman and he was recommending the 57. Yes, it was all he had in stock.

I have had a belt drive bicycle, converted to a front-driven wheel bike, it is on a long term loan to a family member. It had a VuVinci N360. My current bike has a Nuvinci N380. As you can see, I am pretty sold on the Nuvinci for commuting and want to get back to a belt drive.

Where I am, it is several hundred miles, each way for a test ride. Given 5'6", do you think the 46 mid-Step makes more sense than the 53 mid-step?
He was just trying to sell you anything. I’m 5’10” and I was steered towards the 53 at my LBS. The 46 mid-step makes WAY more sense IMO. Don’t let them sell you on a bike that’s not appropriately sized for you. 👍🏾

I'm 5'4", and I have the small (46) Gazelle C8. I didn't try a 53, but the 46 is just perfect for me. The tall tires are fine for me, and there's plenty of adjustment in the seat post, and it has an adjustable stem. I use the bike for urban transport, it is much more upright than my non-electric road bikes and really nice for bike paths and light traffic.

The only complaint I have, is that a Medium frame T10+ is too tall. I'm 5:11, 194 lb's. Why Gazelle insisted of putting 29r's on a mid sized bike is beyond my understanding. At the very least, 650b's (27.5) would have been a better choice.
Thought they have 28’s.

28" means tyres narrower than 2", and 29" are the tyres from 2" up.
Eh, not really. Different brands use the numbers differently. Continental and other Euro tire companies like the 28" for some reason. The MTB industry refers to that size as a "29er" and the road/hybrid/non MTB groups call them a 700c

Eh, not really. Different brands use the numbers differently. Continental and other Euro tire companies like the 28" for some reason. The MTB industry refers to that size as a "29er" and the road/hybrid/non MTB groups call them a 700c
Ahh, that makes more sense. wondered what the 700c meant.

Hey, Brendon. All three sizes mean exactly the same rim diameter (and you know it). If you look to the Schwalbe product catalog, you will notice that all 622 mm tyres of width >= 2" magically become 29" while narrower tyres are designated as 28". The historical reason behind it was the wider tyre produces a higher wheel. By chance the higher wheels are used inter alia by MTB but also SUV e-bikes.

I can show you sidewall molds of both 28 and 29" Specialized tyres. Both are 622 mm but the 38-622 is 28 x 1.5" and 51-622 is 29 x 2.0".

Last edited:
Hey, Brendon. All three sizes mean exactly the same rim diameter (and you know it). If you look to the Schwalbe product catalog, you will notice that all 622 mm tyres of width >= 2" magically become 29" while narrower tyres are designated as 28". The historical reason behind it was the wider tyre produces a higher wheel. By chance the higher wheels are used inter alia by MTB but also SUV e-bikes.

I can show you sidewall molds of both 28 and 29" Specialized tyres. Both are 622 mm but the 38-622 is 28 x 1.5" and 51-622 is 29 x 2.0".
I suspect that difference is due to Spec. using different vendors for making tires potentially? I know their high end road race tires are made by Vittoria.

I suspect that difference is due to Spec. using different vendors for making tires potentially? I know their high end road race tires are made by Vittoria.
No. I have used numerous Schwalbe and Continental tyres as well. The 29" just denotes a 622 mm "Plus" tyre, that is, 2 - 3" wide. As the whole matter of 28/29" is so confusing, the ultimate system is called ETRTO. If you say ETRTO 66-584 then there is no doubt the outer rim diameter is 584 mm and the tyre width is 66 mm (that would be 27.5 x 2.6").

Specialized is to some extent a funny company. If anyone else makes 50-622 tyres (29 x 2"), Specialized has taken the 2" figure exactly to make 51-622 tyres. No one except of Specialized makes 51 mm tyres! All other make just 50 mm ones, which is a tad less than 2" :)

Schwalbe is notorious of using ETRTO sizes which are not exactly inch sizes. A proper 1.5" tyre would be 38 mm (38-622). Schwalbe take their freedom to make 37 mm tyres (37-622) for the same nominal inch size! There are many more examples of this kind.

I have been pleased with the quality of my Gazelle. It is not the Madeo. I have an Arroyo. I probably ride it where I shouldn't but it has held up great and I have 2000 miles on it. I ride on paved and unpaved roads and live in mountain foothills. The one thing that I seriously hate about the bike is the access to the chain. The Arroyo has a plastic chain guard on it and to clean and oil the chain without taking that off must be done through a small, access panel.

I've had the bike get rained on, been on some muddy roads, been on dusty roads, been on rocky roads, and it feels like new--except I suspect the brakes may need work as they are squealing now. The Schwalbe tires have not gone flat although the rear one now shows wear. My bike is an upright nerdy looking bike but very comfy to ride.
I just purchased an Arroyo C7 but have not picked it up yet. My first e-bike. I was pleased to read that you ride on unpaved roads as I plan to bring the bike on the back of an RV for National Park/Forest land riding and have been concerned with the tire size. Did you upgrade your tires?

I just purchased an Arroyo C7 but have not picked it up yet. My first e-bike. I was pleased to read that you ride on unpaved roads as I plan to bring the bike on the back of an RV for National Park/Forest land riding and have been concerned with the tire size. Did you upgrade your tires?
We just got our C8's and C7's in the shop, what an impressive bike! I love the changes they made on these revised bikes! The tires included with the bike are plenty capable for gravel/trails!

My only complaint with Gazelle is related to their USA corporate offices in Santa Cruz.
my local bike shop and I have been trying to reach out to them with an issue we have with one of our bikes.
They ignore all emails, and phone support is non existant.
Im not at all impressed with Gazelle support.

I can vouch for this! I have been trying to communicate with Gazelle about my new Ultimate ebike purchases. Their website is notoriously vague about what components come on the bike. When I asked them a specific question about spokes I got a quick response. Next I explained I am trying to locate the specs for our bikes, particularly the front shocks (no user manual on how to adjust or maintain them) and the gear sets (not the same as the Medeo, but what they heck are the differences?). Just crickets from Gazelle. Zero follow up or response. Very dissapointed and not at all what I was led to believe about their service.

My only complaint with Gazelle is related to their USA corporate offices in Santa Cruz.
my local bike shop and I have been trying to reach out to them with an issue we have with one of our bikes.
They ignore all emails, and phone support is non existant.
Im not at all impressed with Gazelle support.

Couldn't disagree with this more, perhaps the shops ability to communicate effectively is the issue? Our outside rep and everyone with Gazelle has been incredible and we usually move 150+ units a year. Not only has warranty support been great (infrequent too, well built stuff) but they'll compensate for my technician's time too, lots of other brands don't do that.

Anyway I can help out?

RE vague specs, that's across lots of brands due to the parts shortage. What info are you looking for?

Back