Conserving battery power

bikerjohn

Being a 240# biker, there is no question that to go the distance one needs to use battery power conservatively. Having enough reserve battery capacity to assist pedaling effort at critical moments, is what I am trying to achieve.

Here is a technique which seems to preserve battery power while maximizing motor performance: Keep the "pedal assist" mode set at "low" or "medium" power. If an extra boost of power is desired in order to maintain or increase speed, boost battery output by utilizing the "full electric" mode. On the EG Zurich 350 IX bike that I recently purchased that is accomplished by engaging the thumb actuated throttle control.

Using the fully electric mode only at moments when a full power assist is wanted, minimizes battery drain. Using the thumb throttle along with pedal assist, decreases battery drain when compared to "throttle only" use, or pedal assist mode set at high.

UPDATE: 05.11.14;
On an 8 mile morning commute I am able to average 20+ mph on the 58 pound EG Zurich 350 IX , with no discernible drain on the 36 volt -12ah -not too shabby for a rider my size!
Yesterday, I did a 20 mile R/T commute averaging 17.4 mph, finishing with more than 1/2 battery capacity still in reserve. Typical for me on this route would be 13 mph average speed, using a 32 lb, non-E bike. The E bike power difference is stunning!

Last edited:
O.K. I have a grasp of understanding on how to maximize ride time/distance -miserly utilizing battery energy. What technique(s) can be employed to prolong battery usability life?
What I am unsure about:
Is it better to use battery power to the point of minimal energy reserve (1 LED on the power meter after 40 miles /2.5 hours of use) before recharging? Or is it better to recharge the battery after every ride?

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips on extending range bikerjohn, I've read and heard from professionals in the industry that charging after ever ride (even partial charge) is a good thing. Lithium is more durable than the older sealed lead acid tech but can still wear out if you let it completely discharge and leave it that way. I was told to treat your battery like a puppy... feed it often and keep it from getting to hot or too cold :)

...I've read and heard from professionals in the industry that charging after ever ride (even partial charge) is a good thing. Lithium is more durable than the older sealed lead acid tech but can still wear out if you let it completely discharge and leave it that way. I was told to treat your battery like a puppy... feed it often and keep it from getting too hot or too cold :)
Thanks Court! Much appreciation for the insider lowdown

The 36 volt 12 Ah system works really well. With conservative use, the battery seems to last and last between charges. I have run the power down to 1 LED light on the power meter, -but that was 40 miles over two days. I am now topping off the battery daily thanks to information provided here.

The 350 watt system on the 57 lb Zurich seems to be perfect for my commutes. With pedal assist set at low or med, with an occasional boost on the thumb throttle, I get an exhilarating 8 miles down the road. This involves significant rider effort, but averaging 19-20 mph is a typically attainable speed. All that speed hauling my 240 lbs and no discernible loss of power in the first 10-12 miles or so.

Last edited:
I was curious about the batteries having a memory effect similar to laptops, so I emailed emotion to ask the question. Here is what they told me about charging...

###########
I typically recommend a full drain and recharge for the first 3 times. Its also best to not constantly charge it after only ¼ drain, but no memory issues to worry about.
###########

Last edited:
I was curious about the batteries having a memory effect similar to laptops, so I emailed emotion to ask the question. Here is what they told me about charging...

###########
I typically recommend a full drain and recharge for the first 3 times. Its also best to not constantly charge it after only ¼ drain, but no memory issues to worry about.
###########
I've heard mixed things from different people I speak with. Generally speaking, Lithium batteries are less sensitive than any of the older tech like sealed lead acid, nickel cadmium and nickel metal hydride. Most chargers for ebikes have built in sensors that keep from overcharging the batteries as well. I disagree with the full discharge recommendation, based on how cell phones and electric cars are managing their batteries it's best to keep them between 40% and 90% at all times. I've heard some software actually tells the user that the battery is at "100%" but it's actually cutting out early to maintain this range.

Back