Connection Device on the handlebar of Turbo Vado SL EQ?

Qamera

The bike came with a small device on the middle of the handlebar. Is this for mounting a phone?

Does it look like this? If so, that's for mounting the TCD. Not sure which Vado SL EQ you have. If 5, you were supposed to get a TCD.

Attachments

• IMG_1459.jpg
    IMG_1459.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 481
I was hoping to put an iPhone mount onto the handlebar as well, as I think I'll get more use out of Maps in roaming my area than just having the TCD stats available. Is there an iPhone mount out there that utilizes the connection that comes with the bike (that Jeff showed above), or would you recommend something else?

I was hoping to put an iPhone mount onto the handlebar as well, as I think I'll get more use out of Maps in roaming my area than just having the TCD stats available. Is there an iPhone mount out there that utilizes the connection that comes with the bike (that Jeff showed above), or would you recommend something else?
The Specialized mount is GARMIN compatible. If you can find an iphone case with a Garmin adapter that would work. There are "stick on" thingies that are garmin compatible but I'm not sure I would trust a stick-on's glue!!

There are "stick on" thingies that are garmin compatible but I'm not sure I would trust a stick-on's glue!!
That’s exactly what I’ve done . Works like a charm! Just got a new case that also has holes for a strap - I’ll put a safety string on and tie it to the handlebars.

F564C78B-098E-4F99-91C4-5C82B3FC0194.jpeg

Last edited:
Quadlock with the dedicated iPhone case cannot fail. It is because the dedicated case has the adapter moulded as the part of it. No glue.

Quadlock with the dedicated iPhone case cannot fail. It is because the dedicated case has the adapter moulded as the part of it. No glue.
But is Quadlock compatible with the Garmin mount he already has on the bike or is Quadlock proprietary and a slightly different standard?

You wouldn't like to mount a costly iPhone on a Garmin mount.
But why not? Actually the Garmin mount requires a full 90° of rotation prior to disconnect, whereas the Quad Lock requires only 45° of rotation prior to disconnect. Meaning an easier / shorter tap could break your phone free on the Quad Lock. And I hate to bring it up, but Quad Lock’s mount interface is actually a direct copy of a Japanese motorcycle and bicycle mount called Rec-Mount. That’s why you won’t find a Japanese patent for Quad-Lock. Quad-Lock is cheaper but it’s manufactured in China, unlike Rec-Mount which is domestically made in Japan. Still Quad-Lock is good value, but they are not the innovators they try to come off as.

But why not? Actually the Garmin mount requires a full 90° of rotation prior to disconnect, whereas the Quad Lock requires only 45° of rotation prior to disconnect. Meaning an easier / shorter tap could break your phone free on the Quad Lock. And I hate to bring it up, but Quad Lock’s mount interface is actually a direct copy of a Japanese motorcycle and bicycle mount called Rec-Mount. That’s why you won’t find a Japanese patent for Quad-Lock. Quad-Lock is cheaper but it’s manufactured in China, unlike Rec-Mount which is domestically made in Japan. Still Quad-Lock is good value, but they are not the innovators they try to come off as.
Whether a copy or not, Quadlock does have, well, the LOCK as part of its system. You need to press that lever to release it.
But in any event, the mount already on the bike is the Garmin compatible. I will allow others to decide if it is worthy!

i don’t believe the rotation has anything to do with it - it’s unlikely that vibration on a bike is going to produce a 45 degree rotation in the phone lol. it has to do with the degree, depth, and friction of the engagement of the tabs in the locked position, plus the strength of the tabs themselves. the up and down vibration of the bike stresses those tabs, and while i have no doubt the garmin interface is adequate for a garmin, an iphone is much heavier - at least twice, typically, and much larger, creating rotational forces on those tabs several times greater, i’d guess.

it’s too bad because many handlebars have a nice attachment point for garmin type mounts.

an iphone is much heavier - at least twice, typically
Edge 1030 - 124g, iPhone XS - 177g not exactly twice but measurable I guess. Still I’ll use the Garmin mount because it’s there already. The Garmin interface also requires pressure to overcome lock tabs inside.

Edge 1030 - 124g, iPhone XS - 177g not exactly twice but measurable I guess. Still I’ll use the Garmin mount because it’s there already. The Garmin interface also requires pressure to overcome lock tabs inside.
yeah, i was comparing my 228g iphone 12 pro max.

more typical garmins only weigh 75g, the entire range is 33-124g. i’ve been very happy with quad lock but i’d love to try out a more integrated bar mount, which are mostly garmin compatible it seems?

i don’t believe the rotation has anything to do with it - it’s unlikely that vibration on a bike is going to produce a 45 degree rotation in the phone lol. it has to do with the degree, depth, and friction of the engagement of the tabs in the locked position, plus the strength of the tabs themselves. the up and down vibration of the bike stresses those tabs, and while i have no doubt the garmin interface is adequate for a garmin, an iphone is much heavier - at least twice, typically, and much larger, creating rotational forces on those tabs several times greater, i’d guess.

it’s too bad because many handlebars have a nice attachment point for garmin type mounts.
I guess I've seen threads where the tabs have cracked off. Now I don't know if it happened in crashes, just lots of use/abuse or just simply broke. I don't know if these were early builds and Garmin has increased their durability. I have not looked to see if the Quadlock tabs are more robust or their real sales pitch is the locking mechanism (including theft prevention). There seem to be a couple of different outfits that provide aftermarket "fixes" to replace the broken tabs or "coupler" for Garmins.

Back