Compulsory insurance "likely" on ebikes if 3-class becomes federal law

This is the most overused dismissive comment on locks ever. Most thefts are unpremeditated and not by career criminals. Nearly always someone takes advantage of the time we leave our rides unlocked. Sure, New York City and its ilk have high crime and bold thieves but in every city, I've lived in with bicycles, 7 cities, and 6 states, I always lock and leave in the most secure spot possible and never lost a bike. There's no substitute for a decent lock.
someone tried to steal my commuter a while back. ABUS u-lock to a city bike rack. they cut through one side of the lock completely, made it about 1/3 through the other side of the U, then was scared off by either passers, building security, or the electronic alarm on the bike flashing and beeping a skull on the screen at them, not sure which.

in any case the robust lock (requiring two cuts with a grinder, not one) saved me a lot of hassle.

someone tried to steal my commuter a while back. ABUS u-lock to a city bike rack. they cut through one side of the lock completely, made it about 1/3 through the other side of the U, then was scared off by either passers, building security, or the electronic alarm on the bike flashing and beeping a skull on the screen at them, not sure which.

in any case the robust lock (requiring two cuts with a grinder, not one) saved me a lot of hassle.
In my experience, big cities like SF are different animals. I'm glad to read you made it difficult. I have a similarly difficult lock to cut. Even though it's extremely unlikely here.

^^^ this exactly. I use one U lock that has an 18mm(!) hardened molly-chrome steel shackle and stainless monobloc chassis. You'll need two cuts to get around it. If a thief decides against that, they can try the 2-meter boron steel 13mm long-link noose chain. 2 cuts there too. So to get past the chain lock you are going to need two cuts and for sure more than one cutoff wheel and probably a spare battery.

And when you get done with that? Screw you I put another 16mm U lock around the rear wheel and thru the frame. 2 more cuts, and you won't be carrying this bike off after the first two unless you have 3 or 4 guys along to do the lifting.

I take a pic each time I park the bike at the store for insurance purposes. My coverage only applies if I have locked the bike to an object so you can see it all here. It only takes about a minute to set it up, too.

20221217_102444.jpg

"60 seconds" my ass :D

Sure but thats them... not you, right? I take what is apparently extraordinary care around pedestrians on multi-use paths. At least thats what it seems like compared to how I see most others behave. Especially regular cyclists who regard pedestrians as something in their way who deserve to be brushed back.

Do ordinary cyclists need Liability insurance? The answer to that from USA society at least is no. I carry theft coverage on my cargo bikes and thats it. But I also use Sold-Secure Diamond-rated locks that I guarantee you even an angle grinder with a spare blade and battery isn't going to get thru in less than about 4 minutes. Just because that rare ultra-prepared thief exists doesn't mean they won't look at a bike locked like mine and decide to steal a car instead.

If we're being chased by a bear, I don't have to outrun the bear. I only have to outrun you. :D
I believe most cyclists are careful, even extraordinarily careful. However, we all have moments where we are distracted and have accidents. People who drive automobiles have accidents everyday. If you are at fault, and do not have liability insurance, you could be sued in court and lose your home and all your possessions.
Certainly everyone has to make the choice to carry liability insurance. For me personally it is not worth the risk to not have it.

^^^ this exactly. I use one U lock that has an 18mm(!) hardened molly-chrome steel shackle and stainless monobloc chassis. You'll need two cuts to get around it. If a thief decides against that, they can try the 2-meter boron steel 13mm long-link noose chain. 2 cuts there too. So to get past the chain lock you are going to need two cuts and for sure more than one cutoff wheel and probably a spare battery.

And when you get done with that? Screw you I put another 16mm U lock around the rear wheel and thru the frame. 2 more cuts, and you won't be carrying this bike off after the first two unless you have 3 or 4 guys along to do the lifting.

I take a pic each time I park the bike at the store for insurance purposes. My coverage only applies if I have locked the bike to an object so you can see it all here. It only takes about a minute to set it up, too.

View attachment 145533

This lock set up is certainly one that does not meet the 60 second rule. The vast majority of cyclists do not have a lock set up like this one.

View attachment 145533

lol, that’s very impressive. what’s the total weight of all the locks?

what’s the total weight of all the locks?
On a 65lb plus eBike what's another pound or two? In 1973 I carried a 10 lb hardened steel chain and heavy lock around my waist to lock up my Schwinn Paramount at the college I was attending. NUTS! And someone stole my Brookes saddle. But my ($4000+ by today's standards) 100% Campagnola butted frame bike was secure. Sucks but what's a mother to do?

lol, that’s very impressive. what’s the total weight of all the locks?
About 14 lbs. Maybe thats before the big stainless Xena lock is factored in. but ...
On a 65lb plus eBike what's another pound or two?
^^^ this. A cargo bike is both expensive and large. Its designed specifically to carry heavy loads, and thats a 27-gallon (102L) Costco bin whose lid is strong enough for me to net down excess shopping stuff on top of it... and thats not counting the pannier capacity, which is about another 26L each side. Overall weight on a bike like this can reach or even exceed 400 lbs, and since the load is low and centered, its easily balanced - you won't know its loaded except for inertia. So a heavy lock is literally not noticeable.

Back