Como 2.0 chain slap/derailleur tension

Adjusted the chain into the correct teeth. Cleaned the whole drivetrain, and also noticed that after the latest chain went on, it looks like the shifter cable has been adjusted about 1/2" 'tighter' than it was.

Also turns out, I can't get back into the high gear - it stops one gear shy.

I'll adjust to the original position, and then readjust the at the shifter and derailleur, and report back.

Sorry to have gone dark here for a while, death in the family (non-covid, but still crappy).

Managed to get things sorted with a lot of adjustment. That said - tended to end up with adjustments that didn't take because of a too loose barrel adjuster at the shifter, and because the derailleur was apparently pretty bent.

Went to a new shop, the new shop offered to swap on a 10 gear cassette, and shifter, and a new derailleur. Experienced IMMEDIATE chain slap that was dramatic enough to wrap the chain around and risked a caught/snapped chain.

I appreciated their willingness to try new things but I'd like to keep the bike closer to the original intent (9 speed) and simply update/upgrade the components in question.

I'm ready willing and able to change:
  • Chainring
  • Cassette (back to a 9 speed)
  • Clutch'ed derailleur
But have no idea what specific models of any of the above to order. I know this is a big request, but can anyone recommend a compatible chainring, cassette, clutch'ed derailleur and chain? I'm terrified of screwing up my wife's bike or continually promising 'one more thing is needed' to address it.

Previously in the thread folks mentioned Microshift Advent 9s - I'd appreciate any thoughts on building out a compatible setup - and no longer have the parts that were originally on the bike (shifter etc) so I'd need the whole kit and caboodle.

Would greatly appreciate the help to get it right in the first go around.

Last edited:
Sorry to have gone dark here for a while, death in the family (non-covid, but still crappy).

Managed to get things sorted with a lot of adjustment. That said - tended to end up with adjustments that didn't take because of a too loose barrel adjuster at the shifter, and because the derailleur was apparently pretty bent.

Went to a new shop, the new shop offered to swap on a 10 gear cassette, and shifter, and a new derailleur. Experienced IMMEDIATE chain slap that was dramatic enough to wrap the chain around and risked a caught/snapped chain.

I appreciated their willingness to try new things but I'd like to keep the bike closer to the original intent (9 speed) and simply update/upgrade the components in question.

I'm ready willing and able to change:
  • Chainring
  • Cassette (back to a 9 speed)
  • Clutch'ed derailleur
But have no idea what specific models of any of the above to order. I know this is a big request, but can anyone recommend a compatible chainring, cassette, clutch'ed derailleur and chain? I'm terrified of screwing up my wife's bike or continually promising 'one more thing is needed' to address it.

Previously in the thread folks mentioned Microshift Advent 9s - I'd appreciate any thoughts on building out a compatible setup - and no longer have the parts that were originally on the bike (shifter etc) so I'd need the whole kit and caboodle.

Would greatly appreciate the help to get it right in the first go around.
Went ahead and purchased the Deckas 104BCD narrow/wide 40t. You can literally feel the new chain sticking the old chainring.

For sure the experience of just trying to get this addressed has been eye opening- bike shops don't know what they're selling, and haven't got much skill in advocating for the best ways to maintain and tune as the bikes see wear and tear.

I've learned more in the posts here than I have from any of the shops we've visited. I guess that's to be expected. The ebike gold rush as it were.

I am a big believer in doing my own bike maintenance. With that said, I also frequent our LBS for ebike specific stuff, as we have for years.

They aren't perfect, but they've been there for us for decades.

Ride on! 😎

Just got the Deckas 104BCD - right number of teeth, and right bolt pattern, but not pre-threaded, and the chaingard holes don't line up. Back to the drawing board!

Just got the Deckas 104BCD - right number of teeth, and right bolt pattern, but not pre-threaded, and the chaingard holes don't line up. Back to the drawing board!
Right. You need to use four 8x8 mm MTB chainring bolts with nut to fasten the chainring, and the original chainguard cannot be used.

... the original chainguard cannot be used.
Not?

Right. You need to use four 8x8 mm MTB chainring bolts with nut to fasten the chainring, and the original chainguard cannot be used.
I feel like a ding dong. Thank you very much for the help!

Most of the bolts I've seen on amazon aren't exactly 8x8 - should I continue searching until I find exactly that - or contact the LBS maybe for an easier search?

I feel like a ding dong. Thank you very much for the help!

Most of the bolts I've seen on amazon aren't exactly 8x8 - should I continue searching until I find exactly that - or contact the LBS maybe for an easier search?
You should be fine with M8x8 or close.

I. Am. Psyched.

Thanks to the efforts of @TS25 and @Stefan Mikes - this. bike. is. perfect...again.

Did it need a new derailleur? Maybe. Did is need a new cassette? Possibly. Did it need it's SECOND new chain in like 200 miles? Probably not.

But did it need that new Deckas chainring, and 2 part bolts. Oh you bet it did.

My goodness what a difference. No chain suck. Smooth shifting. Easy assist, and NO EXCESS NOISE.

Thank you all for your help.
I know more because of you and know a pinch more about working on bikes and specifically this bike.

Thank you!

63883916740__4F06FEC9-F6F9-4E26-9CD3-1652E9A7236C.jpeg

Last edited:
Back