commuting jacket "armor" type stuff? road rash protection?

Andy_in_CA

hey everyone,

As winter is coming I am gearing up with a new set of tires and gloves. (doesn't get that cold here in LA) but there are a lot of stupid people. I was wondering if there is any type of ebike equivalent to a motorcycle jacket with some pads for road rash protection.

I'm not looking for full leathers :) but wondering if there is a hybrid between a lightweight cycle jacket and motorcycle armor. :)

thanks in advance

Andy

Neat idea... will be curious to see what may show up here... I can imagine there's not a ton out there, given that the protection elements would likely make for a more uncomfortable (ie, trapping heat) ride... whereas full leathers/padding for motorcycle use, doesn't entail constant exertion during the ride. But I sometimes secretly ponder how bad my first crash/fall will be for road rash, in my thin little windbreaker, wool base shirt, cycle shorts... nothing to stand up to asphalt and gravel under impact!

Some mountain bikers use knee and elbow pads, and a few even use other body armor. IMO that would be more practical than a top or bottom with integrated pads, because you can choose the apparel's fabric depending on the weather.

I think if you are that concerned about stupid people possibly taking you out, you might also consider wearing long fingered gloves (even in the summer), and a full face helmet.

I remember all those crashes when I was mountain biking. The first thing I would do is put my hands out to break a fall so good protective gloves are probably the first thing I would consider. Elbows and knees are the next thing to hit the dirt (pavement) so perhaps a jacket with elbow protection of some sort.

Hi Andy,
Here in New Jersey, we have our 4 seasons. When winter arrives; the winds come from the northwest and they can be biting cold. As I was fatbiking using my Specialized Fatboy (prior to getting the Haibike Full FatSix), I too started to think about a jacket that would be able to keep the wind out and my body core warm on those longish rides I like to do.

Cycling gear for me leaves a lot to be desired with their lightweight materials. Though I found that layered shirts underneath my Columbia Sportswear rain jacket worked well above freezing, I started to read about these heated jackets that are popular with the construction crowd. This is what I wound up buying: https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/safety-workwear/bosch-psj-120-heated-jacket/9263/

Without the battery, the jacket stands alone as a really nice looking piece of clothing. And as a safety feature, it has reflective material on it. Just be advised that it's not made for tossing about carelessly as the heating elements in the jacket could then break if handled roughly.

When I took the below pictures of the FatSix of a frozen over Delaware River at Trenton, NJ, I was wearing the Bosch Heated Jacket on that 20 mile plus run. A little unconventional for sure, but something any biker here who is out in the sub freezing cold might like to try.....

Attachments

• 100_2990.JPG
    100_2990.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 426
  • 100_3001.JPG
    100_3001.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 416
  • 100_3003.JPG
    100_3003.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 439
yeah I don't need a heated jacket, but I am considering a full helmet like the troy lee designs Stage helmet. I do wear full finger gloves.

I have an REI jacket cycle jacket that I layer with a sweat shirt in the winter that is a good balance between ventilation and heat retention. I'd just love if it has a few pads built in.. like elbow pads.

I'm in the camp that I ride enough for my commute that something will happen....(fingers crossed that it won't) best case.. i have to ditch and get scratched up.

With Ebikes going 28mph it feels like there is a niche there for the commuter. I just might get a lightweight motorcycle jacket..... we'll see thanks for all the input.

i'll report back.

As far as I can tell, there is no combination abrasion AND impact protection gear but there are some promising options starting to come out.

For abrasion

Scott sell abrasion resistant road cycling gear but at the moment it's targeted at the clown suit lycra brigade.

Klim make a few jerseys with more abrasion resistance on the elbows than a standard mtb / mx versions, the " tactical pro" is their most protective

For impact protection

Anything with d30 or equivalent armour - from the slim gforce gear up to full down hill mtb shells

We're starting to see aramid / kevlar panels on the knee / elbow guards, eg icon and nukeproof guards , so hopefully in the near future we'll see an integrated abrasion resistant top at least?

I'm still working on the cobbled together approach - gform elbow guards, icon knee guards, and toro camelback with hydration / back protector , then an outer shell to suit the temperature.

By comparrison, I slipped into my klim badlands jacket for a motorbike ride yesterday - goretex, ventilated, d30 armour everywhere, pockets everywhere....the bike gear manufacturers have a lot of catching up to do!!!

Hi Andy,
Here in New Jersey, we have our 4 seasons. When winter arrives; the winds come from the northwest and they can be biting cold. As I was fatbiking using my Specialized Fatboy (prior to getting the Haibike Full FatSix), I too started to think about a jacket that would be able to keep the wind out and my body core warm on those longish rides I like to do.

Cycling gear for me leaves a lot to be desired with their lightweight materials. Though I found that layered shirts underneath my Columbia Sportswear rain jacket worked well above freezing, I started to read about these heated jackets that are popular with the construction crowd. This is what I wound up buying: https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/safety-workwear/bosch-psj-120-heated-jacket/9263/

Without the battery, the jacket stands alone as a really nice looking piece of clothing. And as a safety feature, it has reflective material on it. Just be advised that it's not made for tossing about carelessly as the heating elements in the jacket could then break if handled roughly.

When I took the below pictures of the FatSix of a frozen over Delaware River at Trenton, NJ, I was wearing the Bosch Heated Jacket on that 20 mile plus run. A little unconventional for sure, but something any biker here who is out in the sub freezing cold might like to try.....
How do you wash it with it having heating elements?

Last edited:
I'm thinking personal protection is one part of work commuting. I use G-Form elbow and knee pads under my regular riding cloths for extra protection against road rash. I also use padded gloves, WYND blocker wrap motorcycle glasses (clear for night/polarized for day), and switched to Northwave MTB Escape Evo shoes. I wear all year in NM and they are very comfy. I can use the safety gear equally well with summer cloths (+100 degrees) or heavy layered winter gear (teens to 30 degrees in morning).

I would also add:

- Brightly colored and/or reflective riding cloths. Loud neon color might be the difference for a distracted driver seeing you. I see a lot of before sun up morning commuters wear dark colors and I don't see them sometimes until I'm about 20 feet away.
- Extremely bright lights for night. I see some early morning bike commuters with lights about the same brightness as an iPhone light. I want cars to think I'm a slow moving vehicle and use the brightest lights that don't blind traffic and the vehicle can see my headlight from behind me (I use Niterider 3600 Pro on the lowest setting).
- Helmet headlight. Comes in handy at night to brighten up the road to avoid obstacles/debris, look down turns before making them, light up the area if you have night time repairs to make, and (my favorite) alert drivers coming up to a stop sign if they look like they are going to do a "California Stop". I use Niterider Pro 2200 on the lowest setting.
- Extremely bright blinking headlights for daytime commuting. We are conditioned to think a blinking light means emergency and caution. Having so many vehicles using daytime running lights, a solid daytime bike headlight will be invisible to a distracted driver.
- Extremely bright rear light that blinks or pulses. I use a rear light that is 70 lumens and can be seen clearly in the middle of the day in summer with clear skies (Light and Motion Vis 180). I have two of them (one on rear rack bag and the other on the back of my Fox helmet).
- Side illumination. Some bike have very good side reflectors or head/tail light that can be (sorta) seen from the side. It might be helpful to use more reflective tape on the side or add additional side illumination for night riding. Want someone to know 100% they are looking at a bike from every direction.

I had a denim jacket that was woven with Kevlar for motorcycling. Looked like any denim jacket but way more durable in case of going down. It had pockets for armor but I didn't use any. In cooler weather I put a sweater on underneath.

yeah i have a ton of lights on my bike for both seeing things and to be seen. (LEDS lining the frame as well). Reflective side wall tires, and my new favorite the Orp horn!

i'll be adding a helmet and that is a great link for Bohnarmor! I that will fit nicely under my lightweight jacket!

Having lots of scooter/motorcycle clothing around...a great idea. However, the calorie expenditure on a bike is so much greater that even a light jacket with many vents will still feel overwarm, I'm thinking. Try and report...

A further thought...hot weather motorbike gear is made with mesh. As a starter, wind layers could be added to achieve an acceptable mix of protection and warmth.

Last edited:
good point, but my goal in the morning is not to overheat. I don't want to be a sweaty mess when I get to work. Normally, I let the bike do most of the work in the a.m.

I usually crank it up and sweat on the way home. :)

Have you considered a windshield? It will also help your performance. I've seen some scooter ones that would work on a bike, if you can find room for them on the handlebars! Often it's the wind chill that gets you, windshield/fairing is the solution..

I hit the gravel at >20 mph November 2017, the dickies workwear long shirt & pants kept the road rash off my knees & elbows. I was wearing kevlar work gloves. I was wearing a top only helmet, so my chin was ripped open, 6 stitches,and I broke the jaw in 3 places. I wear a fox rampage helmet with chin guard now. At $160 it is cheaper than the troy lee designs and in stock at jensonusa. Plenty of ventilation for biking, I had no trouble with sweat this summer. I have to wrap the vents with saran wrap when the temperature is below 20 F. I wear a green safety vest with reflective stripes from mcmaster all the time, and the helmet has yellow lettering.
Long underwear, dickies, 2 pairs socks and a Bulwark protective wear jacket take me down to 0 deg F, but serious gloves are required, available at the farm supply. Before I bought the Westies I went into shock a coupla times when my hands got too cold. Had to sit on the beer in a store. I wear a helmet liner from the welding supply under the helmet below 20. Uvex wrap around safety glasses (cloudy) or #3 welding glasses (sunny) are worn always since we have a lot of gravel trucks spraying product. If I go a long way under 10 deg I wear a carhart overpant with suspenders that goes up to my chest. Work gave me that for laying in the ice on the roof and hammering the corn chutes to make it flow to the cooker.

just so happens that the specialized store around the corner was having a TLD pop-up store and I got the new Stages helmet!

its pricey but I feel much more protected! I'll take some pics this weekend. but its a really nice helmet.

Indianajo, sorry about your wreck..... hopefully you have healed up back to normal.

A

Thanks. Due to the endomorphine effect of pedal powered biking, the chin injury hardly hurt. And the e-room surgeon did a great job on the chin, I can't even see the scar anymore. I'm out riding as much as ever, with my chin guarded by plastic. More riding, actually, working electricity extends my bike range to 50 miles from 30 human powered.

Back