Commuting Advice Needed

NDB

Hey guys! I just started commuting this week with a Class 1 Raleigh Misceo ie. I can hit 20mph very easily, but it's difficult above that. I attend Clemson University, which is pretty bike-friendly, but I commute from a small town about 6 miles away. Once I get to the main road, there's a bike lane the entire way. Unfortunately, I have to travel about 2 miles of busy back roads with no bike lane that's 45 mph to get there.

Any tips on this part of the commute? I'm honestly a little nervous on it everyday, often pulling into driveways to let cars pass every now and then. Is this just something I'm gonna have to do, even with 5-10 cars pilling up behind me, as I go 20-25 mph?

Any advice or wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Some things you can do (I what I ended up doing) are:
- Find longer alternate routes or side streets you can take to lessen your interactions with traffic
- Ride slower on sidewalks if the roads or bike lanes are not safe or too close for comfort with +45 mph traffic (if local laws allow)
- adjust your school/work times to arrive/leave before rush hour traffic

My work commute is about 6.5 miles one-way with only about 1 mile on dedicated bike paths. It is mostly 35-45 mph roads with about 1 mile with marked bike lanes (entire route is marked as share the road with bikes). I also have a section where I zig-zag through neighborhoods avoiding the main roads. I adjusted my work hours to arrive/leave before normal rush hour. I also added Aux headlights that strobe/blink, 70 lumen LED strobe taillight you can see mid-day in the southwestern sun, neon yellow commuter backpack cover, and neon bright riding shirts.

I've noticed leaving early can get me home faster because I can make more lights compared to the peak of rush hour. I end up hitting every single light for 1-5 minutes during rides home if I leave after 3:30pm.

Distracted driving is my biggest concern. Wife has been rear ended twice in 2 years in her car, while stopped at a stop light both times. I would light myself up like a Christmas tree if I had to run those 2 miles everyday. Flashing light on the back of your helmet would be a good idea. I saw a picture of a rider mounting a bright foam pool noodle sideways on their rear rack. It helps define a wider footprint for your bike. I don't care for the look, but cheap and simple safety.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 9.01.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 9.01.18 AM.png
    159 KB · Views: 253
Small towns can have few road options--I'm not a small town resident myself, but from visiting relatives over the years I've been amazed at how there can be so many country roads that are so charming, but then so few roads that really connect between places one needs to go.
  • Be very visible, and make yourself large. Love the noodle idea. Wear all high-viz. Light yourself up. If your bike has integrated lights, keep them on. For rain, instead of nice-looking goretex, how about bright yellow construction worker slicker and pants? Easier to see. Some colleges have lockers available for students who are on campus for long hours. Maybe you can get a locker where you can stash commuting gear?
  • On pulling over for cars: I do this frequently myself, as a courtesy, just as I do when driving if I'm on a road where folks can't pass and there's a car or cars behind me who want to go faster.
  • Commute at non-peak hours. My husband has a commute that can be pretty busy on his preferred route to our university, but if he goes at 6AM, no problem. He has an alternate route for when he can't do that (I know that your problem is the LACK of alternate routes.
  • Can you find riding buddies? Two or three ebikes are more visible than one. People organize carpools--can you organize a "bike pool?" Safety in numbers.
  • Advocate for bike lanes and bike paths. Join your local cycling advocacy group.
  • And, I have to say there are routes I just don't want to take on a bike. If you feel unsafe, maybe this particular commute won't work for you. Can you move? Carpool? Drive? Take the bus? Be safe!
Glad to have you here! :)

• Play with Google maps. In particular, play with Google maps with the "bicycle" option turned on and see what it finds.
  • Explore. You might find an alternate and non-obvious route that gets you to the bike lane and isn't on any map.
  • Not all (or even most) of those alternate routes will be "roads".
  • Play with Google maps some more.

Hey, guys! I really appreciate all the great advice and suggestions here! I think I have found a good intermediary plan while I get more comfortable riding on roads w/o bike lanes. There is an Ingles (grocery store) right at the end of the road with no bike lanes, so I asked the store manager if I could park my car there and commute there to and from school everyday and they were very accommodating! Obviously, the eventual goal is to not need my car at all for my everyday commutes, but for now, this plan fixes my biggest problem!

Vehicular Cycling

1- cyclists fair best when they act like, and are treated as vehicles. (Larry beat me to it).
2- be predictable
3- be seen and recognized as a cyclist (conspicuity). Reflective gear, lighting (DRLs), create a cycling signature
4- sidewalks are often much more dangerous
5- be alert to hazards

Reactions: NDB
From a road rider:
#1. Effective Cycling, by John Forrester. John is a traffic engineer, and takes the time to explain how traffic works, and where the bike fits in. Not necessarily where you think, for your safety.
#2. Mirror to let you know all that's coming up.
#3. Visibility...White helmet, bright colours, front and rear flashing lights.
#4 Practice, practice...present a stable picture to following traffic...maintain a straight line, no weaving. Obey all traffic rules. Fingertips over brakes when passing parked cars.
#5. As with motorbiking, be the best driver on the road...your reward is being able to do it again tomorrow.
#6 No distractions...stow the phone, no music. You must survive, the two ton cages all around you have the luxury(!) of driving with two fingers, radio, eating breakfast, applying makeup, watching facebook. You don't.
#7. Your commute route will change traffic volume every fifteen minutes...find a lesser populated time, preferably not when parents drop off children at schools.

Last edited:
Back