Commuters, how far is your commute (one way)?

How far is your commute, one way?

• Less than 3 miles / 5 km

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 - 5 miles / 5 - 8 km

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • 6 - 10 miles / 9 - 16 km

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • 11 - 15 miles / 17 - 24 km

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • 16 - 20 miles / 25 - 32 km

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • More than 20 miles / 32 km

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
My commute is pretty short, about 12 km.
That being said I rarely do it because the only 2 logical routes have high speed semi trucks going by. One route they are doing around 60 - 70 km/hr, and the other around 90km/hr.
It freaks me out to have those coming up behind me.
If they put a trail beside a little used train track I'd do that every week.

My commute is pretty short, about 12 km.
That being said I rarely do it because the only 2 logical routes have high speed semi trucks going by. One route they are doing around 60 - 70 km/hr, and the other around 90km/hr.
It freaks me out to have those coming up behind me.
If they put a trail beside a little used train track I'd do that every week.
Ugh, not nice at all. I think I'd give that a wide berth too. Too many friends have been hit commuting in fast and heavy traffic. A couple are lucky to be alive.

I've won the golden ticket with my commute. It's a perfect 9km with about 80% shared pathway skirting playing fields, sporting facilities, parks and those huge storm water concrete channels like you see in the LA movies. The other 20% is lightly trafficked back roads.

It makes a lovely change from the scrappy roads of the previous 30-odd years of on and off commuting.

in portland I have a ton of choices that all get me there between 9.5 miles and 8.5 miles each way lose about 200 feet getting to work but it is up and down most of the way. I can ride on busy to quiet streets to bike paths. ll the streets have bike lanes. but I have commuted about 5 years so its all the same. though I did discover a way to cut that one mile off. it would have been a real pain without a e bike as it has one steep 20% grade 2 block hill.

Ugh, not nice at all. I think I'd give that a wide berth too. Too many friends have been hit commuting in fast and heavy traffic. A couple are lucky to be alive.

I've won the golden ticket with my commute. It's a perfect 9km with about 80% shared pathway skirting playing fields, sporting facilities, parks and those huge storm water concrete channels like you see in the LA movies. The other 20% is lightly trafficked back roads.

It makes a lovely change from the scrappy roads of the previous 30-odd years of on and off commuting.
Perfect. I'm not worried about regular car type traffic, I ride around that all the time.
But those massive trucks... Too easy to imagine some tired smartphone lover moving into the bike lane and launching me into the river.

Mine was 17 miles each way. The last year before buying an ebike I did ~1700 miles and my first ebike year 6k miles. The ebike was a game changer for commuting in a place with 4 real seasons. Other cyclists I knew probably got tired of hearing me talk about my new found power to tame the commute;)

Mine is about 16.5 miles
1608828652670.png

At one time, I did ~30 miles each way from College Park to Annapolis,MD.
The roads had wide shoulder and it was not too risky.

1608828604483.png

Back