Comfortable City E-Bike under 2k

siciliano88

Hi all,

I've read though so many great reviews and posts here the last month. Thank you all for your knowledge and experience sharing, it has educated me quite a bit!

I'm trying to find a comfortable e-bike under 2k, mainly for city usage. I live in the Pacific Beach area of San Diego, so I'll be using the bike for getting around the beach towns. I work from home, so technically no commute :) I went to test drive some Juiced Bikes and Pedgeo as they both are local.

Cross Current and Rip Current S 2018 models are pretty nice. Having the local maintenance support is a huge plus. The Pedego's were clearly more zippy and comfortable, but I don't want to shell out that kind of cash. I test drove the Hyper Scrambler 1100 watt - it was fun, but not practical. I got up to 32 -34mph on throttle alone! Wow! It was pretty "lurchy", however like it just wanted to blast off all the time.

I was considering the fat-tire bikes only for the fact that they are more comfortable and stable when riding on the bumpy pavement. I won't be doing much off-roading, so I don't think I truly need a fat-tire, but they are the same price so I want to give them fair consideration.

Alas, my finalists are mainly between the RadCity/RadRover and CrossCurrent S/Rip Current S. The new Teo looks great as well - I'm also open to other suggestions/modifications to make the most comfortable city commuting experience.

Since I'm local to California, I have to pay sales tax on Juiced Bikes. This means the RadCity and RadRover options are effectively 450 cheaper. I'm trying to justify if the local technical support and Juice batteries/features are worth that extra price (hyrdaulic brakes, torque sensor, etc). I've not actually driven the Rad, but there are just so many great reviews about them that'd I'd be willing to risk it. The manager at Juiced also said they'd assemble the bike completely and deliver it to my house. I'd love to hear some thoughts from folks who've ridden both the Rad and Juiced Bikes (or any others that are a great value in this category).

Thanks guys!

If you want to get a great comparison of the Rad Rover with the Juiced CCS and RCS, check out this guy's videos. Kobe owns a Rad Rover. He got to try out the CCS for a long time, so it's a different kind of review from what Court does. He also got to try the RCS but for only a couple of weeks. So you get some good input on all three bikes. Also, I just like his sense of humor and calm demeanor -- his videos are fun to watch.

Having Juiced set up and deliver your bike would be one heck of an inducement for me -- maybe not worth $450, but maybe so!

I love my CCS and haven't regretted the purchase for an instant. It's so great to ride, I chose to ride to work in the 90+ deg. heat today instead of driving my car. We just had a week of torrential rain and I missed riding the CCS so much.

Hope that helps a little.

Rad has a deal with Velofix. They will set up your bike and come back for a check up/tune up. It's $200.00.
I will give Rad 5 stars for their customer service. Love the fat tires, ride is smooth and fun. The Rad is very heavy. For what you pay, it's a good bike. The Rad is what I consider an entry level ebike.

We actually have two ebikes, a Rad Rover and a Specialized Como 3.0. I mention this because the Rad does not have a torque sensor like the Como 3.0. I prefer a torque sensor over the candence sensor.

As far as my Rad purchase, I would have gone a different route if I knew what I knew now. I would have spent more money for a lighter bike from an LBS with torque sensor, hydraulic brakes and more of an updated frame/battery set up.

Great info, thanks guys. I'll review Kobe's videos. Is the Juice battery superior to the 2018 Rad bikes, which use Samsung 35E?

Do you find the CCS comfortable during long rides? I suppose I could always upgrade the seat (I have a boney butt).

Seattle ebikes has a deal on the 2017 Gazelle NL HMB, step through frame, internal gear hub, cruiser handlebars, sprung saddle, Bosch motor.

Last edited:
Juiced is way ahead of almost everyone as far as batteries are concerned. They offer a range of batteries, from 8.8 Ah up to 21 Ah. As far as I know they are the only manufacturer currently offering 52 volt batteries*, which means more power or greater distance for the same amperage. I wish they had been available when I bought mine, I'd have paid the premium price in a heartbeat. According the their website they use LG Chem cells.

I do find the CCS comfortable on long rides. I made two modifications that helped. One is a stem extender that raises the handlebars about 3 in. The other is a Cloud 9 seat. Cheap mods.

*DIY ebike builders can easily opt for a 52 volt system.

Take a look at the EProdigy. Base model is at 1999. I did upgrade a few items, such as the battery (750W 14.5Ah Battery)
and fenders. 120 nm torque. Nice hydraulic breaks and its comfortable for city riding

Back