Clicking sound after new chain fitted

mordase

Over the weekend I replaced the chain on my 2019 Turbo Vado 4 as the chain was down to 0.5% wear. Today, I went out riding and could hear a clicking sound somewhere from the drivetrain especially when the motor was assisting. Initially I thought the rear derailleur needed to be re-indexed but making small adjustments made little difference. It then dawned on me that because my bike has a Praxis Wave chainring I may have placed the chain on it incorrectly. Sure enough when I checked it was not lined up as shown on the chainring and a quick realignment by moving the chain one link on the ring silenced the clicking sound. If anyone else has a similar issue then best to check the chain is aligned properly. At one point I thought it could have been due to a worn chainring or cassette with the bike having done 3500 kilometres but luckily it was a simple fix. I have attached a picture from Praxis and in fact on my chainring there is a clear picture stamped onto the inside of the ring showing how it should be aligned. Hope this helps.
7ECA8CB8-5DE8-4784-AF81-2A7AB57AAED1.jpeg

I've also made a line mark with a silver Sharpie on the outside of the chain ring so I can see it if I drop a chain while riding. The pictogram is on the inside of the chain ring and no so easy to see by the side of the road.

Over the weekend I replaced the chain on my 2019 Turbo Vado 4 as the chain was down to 0.5% wear. Today, I went out riding and could hear a clicking sound somewhere from the drivetrain especially when the motor was assisting. Initially I thought the rear derailleur needed to be re-indexed but making small adjustments made little difference. It then dawned on me that because my bike has a Praxis Wave chainring I may have placed the chain on it incorrectly. Sure enough when I checked it was not lined up as shown on the chainring and a quick realignment by moving the chain one link on the ring silenced the clicking sound. If anyone else has a similar issue then best to check the chain is aligned properly. At one point I thought it could have been due to a worn chainring or cassette with the bike having done 3500 kilometres but luckily it was a simple fix. I have attached a picture from Praxis and in fact on my chainring there is a clear picture stamped onto the inside of the ring showing how it should be aligned. Hope this helps. View attachment 116711
While I've had that picture for a while, your posting it leads me to download it again and add it as a Shortcut on my phone where I also now have an Shortcut to the Shimano "clutch on" image. Home screens are getting crowded with such helpful images.

I had the same experience. At .5 wear on my park tools piece I replaced the chain. After I invested in another park tools pendulum type chain wear device, it indicated wear at .75. So what happens at that point is my front aluminum oem chain ring was wore to the point a new chain would make noise. Replaced the front chain ring with a steel unit and the rear cassette at the same time. I don't know the best solution at that point on what to replace or just run everything till it is inop. At that point some of the cogs on the cassette will be toast while others will be fine. But the aluminum chain ring idea had to be dismissed.

Regarding chains - KMC with a carbon fiber offering - save some weight at a price. Wonder if it's noisier, no matter the position.

Attachments

• BLABLU_D4.jpg
    BLABLU_D4.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 217
Back