Clicking noise on Colt 604

Datsforshore

My Colt has always made this clicking noise when pedaling. My friend just bought the same bike and he asked me if my bike made a clicking noise when pedaling. Any one else have this problem or a fix for it? Thank you.

Some good youtube videos on bike noises. Oddest noise fix I have done was tightening the bolts on the seat. I think the most common are loose bolts on the crank arms. I put a little grease on the pedal threads and the crank bolts when I install them.

I think i figured it out, at least on my bike. The rear wheel spokes cross and bend each other. If they aren't tight enough, the looser ones flex and rub against the others. The clicking noise is from stiction and the loose spokes flicking as the wheel flexes under the rider's weight. I hear two beat frequencies on mine: one when coasting at the wheel rotation rate and one when pedaling at cadence from my weight shifting left to right slightly. Together they make quite a bit of racket.

The spokes need to be tightened or they will wear over time. The wheel also needs to remain true or it will wobble.

Thanks for the tip, I think you maybe right, found a couple loose spokes, have to buy the proper tool and snug things up, I’ll keep ya posted. Thanks again

I also had a clicking noise...It was the front brake. The housing was a tad close to the disc and would rub against it so loosened it off and cinched it up further so it ran with a bigger gap. Sometimes it also could be a worn out chain. One of the kinks could seize and not rotate as it moves around the chain rings. Heard of this happening just recently on this forum. The person brought back the bike thinking it was the motor. Got a new motor and the clicking was still there. Replaced the chain solved the mysterious clicking.

I also had a clicking noise...It was the front brake. The housing was a tad close to the disc and would rub against it so loosened it off and cinched it up further so it ran with a bigger gap. Sometimes it also could be a worn out chain. One of the kinks could seize and not rotate as it moves around the chain rings. Heard of this happening just recently on this forum. The person brought back the bike thinking it was the motor. Got a new motor and the clicking was still there. Replaced the chain solved the mysterious clicking.
Mine is a brand new bike. I'd only put about 50 miles on it on smooth paved roads when the clicking began. If it's the chain (which I doubt), it must be a pretty crappy chain. It's also present whether or not I'm pedalling. If tightening spokes doesn't cure it, I'll be at a loss what to do next. I've checked everything else except the motor, which I wouldn't know how to check anyway.

All this aside, I still love riding it.

I’ve torqued the crank and sprocket and still clicking :( not sure if I want to play with the
torque sensor. Thanks for all the tips everyone. I’m going to phone City E Cycles where I bought it. When I first got the bike I mentioned the clicking and he said probably chain has to break in.

I tightened the spokes on my rear wheel that were very obviously too loose. Did it by feel; squeezed them in pairs and tried to get about the same tension on both and so there was almost no bending with a minor squeeze. The wheel is no longer perfectly true, but the clicking noise is GONE. So that's all it was in my case. The next step will be to squirt some blue Loctite down into every one of the nipples. I don't want to be doing this every month.

Glad it did the trick for you but I did not have the same luck. City E Cycle says the chain has to break in. I will give it more time and if it doesnt get better I will try a upgraded chain.

I have the same problem with my new Colt, the clicking started after less than 50 miles(80kms), took it back to the shop and they did some work, told me it was fixed but the clicking is still there. it's so annoying that I keep riding my old ebike instead of my new one.

On another note I was told that batteries on a 2018 and on a 2017 were interchangeable. That's not true, you can fit a 2018 battery on a 2017 bike but the 2017 battery won't fit the 2018.

The bikes are my only mode of transportation, that's why I have 2, if one is in the shop I can use the other one. The Colt is a good value bike unfortunately Surface 604 has to learn about customer support, my bike shop had to bypass them and go straight to the manufacturer in China to get parts that I needed on the 1st one, It took 9 weeks to replace a malfunctioning display and calls to Surface 604 were routinely ignored

Clicking is back on mine as well. Previously, tightening loose spokes quieted the noise, but additional adjustments seem to have no affect. I still think it's the spokes, but perhaps this is just a nuance of the wheel design? Getting a lot of looks and compliments on the bike lately. :)

I have a Shred model but would like to share some info about an issue that may concern your bike. The sound could be a faulty freewheel assembly. Photo attached. bafang part yh td10.jpg
The part is housed/mounted in the hub motor case. The clicking sound is easy to hear because the Bafang motor on my Shred model operates so quietly. The bike performs OK, but with 500 miles racked up I'm now concerned about the tension of the derailleur. The clicking might be caused by the freewheel mechanism not seating properly and this could cause some slack. I can't verify this yet, but I do want to eliminate the noise coming from the hub motor.
I'm looking for an assembly drawing of the Bafang hub motor that illustrates how the freewheel assembly fits with the other parts in hub motor case. I need the drawing to make sure I have the right replacement part without disassembly. A couple of photos would be great, too. I can't find anything on the web that shows mounting. Here is the ID on the Bafang motor. If anyone has mechanical drawings or photos of this motor I would appreciate sharing or directing me to the access. This is stamped on the Shred motor:
BF RM G360.500.DC
48 V 500W 27.5-18120147-6
Thanks!

Clicking is back on mine as well. Previously, tightening loose spokes quieted the noise, but additional adjustments seem to have no affect. I still think it's the spokes, but perhaps this is just a nuance of the wheel design? Getting a lot of looks and compliments on the bike lately. :)
those reflectors they install on the spokes are a common source for clicking noise. either you tighten them or remove them. works wonders.

I have a Shred model but would like to share some info about an issue that may concern your bike. The sound could be a faulty freewheel assembly. Photo attached. View attachment 36481
The part is housed/mounted in the hub motor case. The clicking sound is easy to hear because the Bafang motor on my Shred model operates so quietly. The bike performs OK, but with 500 miles racked up I'm now concerned about the tension of the derailleur. The clicking might be caused by the freewheel mechanism not seating properly and this could cause some slack. I can't verify this yet, but I do want to eliminate the noise coming from the hub motor.
I'm looking for an assembly drawing of the Bafang hub motor that illustrates how the freewheel assembly fits with the other parts in hub motor case. I need the drawing to make sure I have the right replacement part without disassembly. A couple of photos would be great, too. I can't find anything on the web that shows mounting. Here is the ID on the Bafang motor. If anyone has mechanical drawings or photos of this motor I would appreciate sharing or directing me to the access. This is stamped on the Shred motor:
BF RM G360.500.DC
48 V 500W 27.5-18120147-6
Thanks!
I also have a Bafang hub with a clicking noise. It occurs twice with each rotation of the rear sprocket. I was able to isolate it to the cassette ratcheting mechanism (freehub body). In certain spots it double clicks under pressure. My bike is theoretically under warranty from Bikes Direct, but I was hoping to be able to buy just the freehub as shipping the wheel back and forth is expensive. Any idea where I can purchase a freehub cassette mechanism?

I also have a Bafang hub with a clicking noise. It occurs twice with each rotation of the rear sprocket. I was able to isolate it to the cassette ratcheting mechanism (freehub body). In certain spots it double clicks under pressure. My bike is theoretically under warranty from Bikes Direct, but I was hoping to be able to buy just the freehub as shipping the wheel back and forth is expensive. Any idea where I can purchase a freehub cassette mechanism?
Surface will send you a new freehub if you just ask. They sent me one.

Back