Cleaning e bike

dodgeman

Region
USA
City
Macomb, Illinois
So how do people clean their e bikes. I’m into cars also so I’ve been spraying a automotive detail sprays and the wiping down the frame, rims etc, no problem there.

What are people using on the gear sets, derailor and other mechanical part? I use a wax type chain lube every 100 miles. Is that enough?

So how do people clean their e bikes. I’m into cars also so I’ve been spraying a automotive detail sprays and the wiping down the frame, rims etc, no problem there.

What are people using on the gear sets, derailor and other mechanical part? I use a wax type chain lube every 100 miles. Is that enough?
Good question. I use a spray bottle with Dawn and a little shampoo with water. Then rinse using a low pressure yard sprayer. Flipping the bike upside down helps. Then you can work the drivetrain. Spray automotive liquid wax on a soft cloth to wipe dry. Then lube the pivot points with gun oil. And lube the chain with your dry lube. Of course remove the battery first. Low pressure is important to protecting the bearings.

The general rule about mid-drive e-bikes is never wash your e-bike upside down.
That does make sense for many of them. Particularly with in-frame batteries. My batteries typically are as easy to remove as a water bottle. I then cover and seal the connector with a very small ziplock bag. Here is a bike with the battery removed so you can see the connector. It is easier for me to flip a bike that to bring a portable stand outside.

Attachments

• MercianCycles02.JPG
    MercianCycles02.JPG
    367.1 KB · Views: 179
There is a thing called "a kickstand", Uma :) Even with kickstand-less e-bikes it is not that difficult to support the e-bike against something for washing...

Mid-drive motors have some holes in the motor cover (to remove rainwater, for instance, or for better cooling). While the motors are waterproof, you don't want washing water to accumulate inside and possibly ingress the frame tubes from inside.

There is a thing called "a kickstand", Uma :) Even with kickstand-less e-bikes it is not that difficult to support the e-bike against something for washing...

Mid-drive motors have some holes in the motor cover (to remove rainwater, for instance, or for better cooling). While the motors are waterproof, you don't want washing water to accumulate inside and possibly ingress the frame tubes from inside.
I will use a kickstand when I flip one back to get the top side. Or I will put a bike against a wall. I seal my motors and just have a small breathing port deeply recessed and covered by a plate. I use very low pressure. Spray bottle pressure. Precisely directed. It is very important to not use a pressure washer. I also cover leather parts such as grips and saddles.
1640122665289.jpeg

Clean? I’m thinking of making one a rat rod. Uglier the better. It seems the bike world redefined the term.

This is what I know as rat rod.

1640136753363.jpeg

I used Spic-n-Span spray on the frame 2 weeks ago where the oil drops off the chain & glues on dirt. Wipe off with a paper towel. Equivalent 409 Fantastic , non-bleach spray cleaners. Had the bike upside down for a leaking tube (no road trash involvement). I cleaned the back rim same process for the first time, spots of dirt from oil drips.
I clean my sprocket cluster with a flat blade screwdriver. Grass stems & string, out. Dirt, stays. Dirt band on the deraileur takeup sprockets, I scrape off with screwdriver about yearly. When I have the pannier off to change a tire or tube. I oil chain & all steel parts every other week. 5W non-detergeant oil from pump oiler. Bike has ~8000 miles. 1 new chain, 0 new sprockets, 1 new derailleur takeup (stick damage). 1 new front shifter (worn bearings).

Last edited:
I use the same auto detail spray I use on my vehicles for the bikes to keep them looking nice and shiny. I found that Simple Green Bike cleaner works well with the mechanicals. Non corrosive too.
5A01E3F9-34E5-4F21-B08E-29812AA37386.jpeg

I have used Simple Green before, didn’t know the had a bike version. I also have Purple Power. I have a pressure washer also I might use when it gets bad. It’s strong enough to strip the hair off the cat but if I throttle back and change tips, it should be fine.

I have a pressure washer also I might use when it gets bad. It’s strong enough to strip the hair off the cat but if I throttle back and change tips, it should be fine.
My second electric bike had a 750 BBSXX. I would wash is with a pressure washer. The bearings rusted, including the wheel bearings. Water got into things such as the jockey pully wheels and headset. No matter how dirty, a little surface soap foam will lift off the dirt particles, putting them into suspension. Then a light rinse with a low pressure yard sprayer will easily remove the soap and the dirt. Surprisingly, when little bubbles collapse they create very large forces over small distances.
1640209514372.jpeg

Pressure washing is a big NO. If you are rich enough to replace bearings soon (and that might include the motor), I can give you my bank account number: transfer your funds there.

Idk, I guess these videos are ok but it also has nonsense suggestions like "don't use car shampoo".

I find Car shampoo to be the best thing to use on my bikes. They are designed to be very gentle on paint(after all they are formulated to be used on car paint). Just pick one without added wax then you will never have any brake contamination or whatsoever. It will also not mess up your matte finish if you have one.

I have been using meguiars gold class and seems one bottle will last me forever. I tried bike specific cleaners and found them to be not any better if not worse than this one.

I try to use a car wash mitt on the frame to prevent any scratches. I use brushes only on drivetrain components or very hard to reach areas like hubs etc. Unfortunately the brushes from parktool, finishline etc are not soft enough to prevent any micro scratches so I try not to use them on the frame. Of course if you are not too obsessive about the shape of your paint these brushes will be perfectly fine. I believe the only truly nonscratch brush is a boar's hair brush but those are expensive and unnecessary for bicycle cleaning, car wash mitt does an excellent job for the most part.

Other than that, I just remove battery and cover the terminals with a towel to prevent splashes. After washing my bikes countless times I never had an issue.

I rode a mountain bike from 1981 until around 2000 and used Hondabrite. It is very powerful and crud and grease just rinse off easily, but be warned it will turn polished aluminum and gloss black powder coated accessories into a duller, matte finish. The dull finish polishes right up again with a little effort. I considered diluting it with water, but I didn't really care about the astethics of the bikes so I was fine with not having them shiny.

I only ride on the road and occasional paved trail these days, so wiping down the bike, rims and hubs with a microfiber rag and Griot's Garage Ceramic Speed Spray cleans the bike with no water and it leaves the surfaces very slick so not much sticks to the bike after you use this once. It's also good for plastic, vinyl, rubber, etc.

Last edited:
Just some good detail spray for the frame and rims with a microfiber towel. If needed some non-corrosive degreaser for the mechanicals with some detail brushes and rags. Remember to relube the mechanicals.

Don't degrease chain while it is on bike as degreaser can drip into motor bearings and degrease them. I remove it and clean in container with kerosene or citrus degreaser. Remove wheel and clean cassette with citrus degreaser.
Chain ring is done with cloth to avoid degreaser getting to motor bearings.

Only use hose on shower setting to avoid driving water into motor.

I thought you weren't supposed to wash your Ebike, cuz it washes the character out and it's bad for your bike's ego. Sort of like never washing your coffee cup makes a better brew.😊 These Ebikes are smart. They're all controlled by computers. Nothing worse than a computer (or Ebike) with an attitude.

Since I only ride on roads, the only place dirt builds up is on the down tube by the bottom bracket and inside the fenders, both places I rarely look at while riding.

Back