Clattering sound on Bosch Performance Speed

hurricane56

I'm nearing 5000 miles on my Haibike Trekking S with Bosch Performance Speed motor. I recently changed the chain with the exact stock Shimano replacement. This is the 3rd chain for this motor. The drivetrain is a 10-speed Shimano Deore XT. After changing the chain I've noticed that the front chain ring is making a certain clattering sound when the motor is engaged. Once I get up and above 20mph, there is a noticeable vibration and resonance as I pedal. It's tough to get a video of this, since the vibration only shows up when the drivetrain is under load. Has anyone ever worn out a Haibike front chainring? The replacements are expensive and to top that all off, my right side crank arm has stripped threads due to the crank manufacturer making parts with too soft alloy.

Any other ideas would be appreciated!

I'm nearing 5000 miles on my Haibike Trekking S with Bosch Performance Speed motor. I recently changed the chain with the exact stock Shimano replacement. This is the 3rd chain for this motor. The drivetrain is a 10-speed Shimano Deore XT. After changing the chain I've noticed that the front chain ring is making a certain clattering sound when the motor is engaged. Once I get up and above 20mph, there is a noticeable vibration and resonance as I pedal. It's tough to get a video of this, since the vibration only shows up when the drivetrain is under load. Has anyone ever worn out a Haibike front chainring? The replacements are expensive and to top that all off, my right side crank arm has stripped threads due to the crank manufacturer making parts with too soft alloy.

After 5000 miles on the original sprocket there is a good chance the noise may be due to it being worn out. It is good that you changed your chain regularly, I did it too late and my sprocket and cassette were worn out to the point of slipping under load after 1500 miles.
Yes, the original Haibike sprockets with the built-in guard are super expensive, but there are cheaper options out there. I am currently using a Connex 20t sprocket and also added a Miranda guard, both of which ran less than half of a Haibike sprocket shipped.
I also found out how crappy and soft the stock Miranda cranks are and had to buy a $30 removal tool in an automotive shop to pull the cranks. I didn't care if they got damaged because I replaced them with SRAM EX1cranks. Those are much better and they have built in extractor bolts, so you can remove them with just an Allen key.

After 5000 miles on the original sprocket there is a good chance the noise may be due to it being worn out. It is good that you changed your chain regularly, I did it too late and my sprocket and cassette were worn out to the point of slipping under load after 1500 miles.
Yes, the original Haibike sprockets with the built-in guard are super expensive, but there are cheaper options out there. I am currently using a Connex 20t sprocket and also added a Miranda guard, both of which ran less than half of a Haibike sprocket shipped.
I also found out how crappy and soft the stock Miranda cranks are and had to buy a $30 removal tool in an automotive shop to pull the cranks. I didn't care if they got damaged because I replaced them with SRAM EX1cranks. Those are much better and they have built in extractor bolts, so you can remove them with just an Allen key.

Can you link to the type of puller tool that you used? Failing that I could use a cut off wheel, but would rather use less invasive methods.

Can you link to the type of puller tool that you used? Failing that I could use a cut off wheel, but would rather use less invasive methods.
I used a gear puller similar to the one in the picture. There are many different models available so the easiest is to bring your bike to your local store and see which ones will have the reach you need. Place an old screw or similar on the axle to protect the threads as you apply pressure.
There are several videos online that show how it is done. Google "remove cranks with stripped threads" and you will find what you need.

I would avoid a cutter or saw so that you don't get any sharp particles into the bearings of the motor by accident.

Attachments

• Two-Jaw-Twin-Legs-Bearing-Gear-Puller-Remover-Hand-Tool-Removal-Kit-0.jpg
    Two-Jaw-Twin-Legs-Bearing-Gear-Puller-Remover-Hand-Tool-Removal-Kit-0.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 274

Hello,
I have a Trek XM700+ commuter with 2400 miles, Bosch Performance Line Motor, Shimano Deore XT. I experienced a very similar vibration and resonance at 18-19 mph.
The vibration was very noticeable throughout the frame, handlebars etc....My LBS replaced the chain and cassette and that reduced the
vibration and resonance significantly, but it's still there. My LBS didn't have a chain ring or they would have replaced that as well which was my first choice.

A good friend of mine who's a serious traditional road biker had the same anomaly and it was his chain ring.

Hello,
I have a Trek XM700+ commuter with 2400 miles, Bosch Performance Line Motor, Shimano Deore XT. I experienced a very similar vibration and resonance at 18-19 mph.
The vibration was very noticeable throughout the frame, handlebars etc....My LBS replaced the chain and cassette and that reduced the
vibration and resonance significantly, but it's still there. My LBS didn't have a chain ring or they would have replaced that as well which was my first choice.

A good friend of mine who's a serious traditional road biker had the same anomaly and it was his chain ring.

Thanks for the input. I just ordered a crank puller and the new chain ring with the Miranda chain guard. Luckily I knew that someday I’d have to remove that crank with the stripped thread and have a spare set of cranks ready to go.

Back