Class sticker?

Understand the legal distinction between capability and action discussed earlier. Just passing on another data point...

Purchased our 2023 V Rooks at San Diego Electric Bikes in Solana Beach, CA in September, 2022. California law explicitly requires class stickers on ebikes, but (a) ours came with none, and (b) the manager was surprised we even wanted them. According to her -- grain of salt -- the odds of getting stopped while riding responsibly in San Diego County are nil.

The Rooks are sold as Class 2 ebikes here. They have throttles and ship with max assist speed set at 20 mph. The County allows Class 2 ebikes nearly everywhere bicycles are allowed. And we specifically wanted Class 2 ebikes to get in on the top-notch bike infrastructure and off-road riding in the area.

Problem was, we liked the stickerless Rooks far more than any stickered Class 2 ebike we tested in our price range. So we bought the Rooks anyway and slapped on the stickers @PetalUma mentioned, fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Many bikes will come with their own branding either on the paintwork or stickered on, but there's still plenty of space to add your customisation. You can either stick over painted branding or apply new stickers after removing the old ones to make a bike feel more your own.

I come from the make-your-own-ebike world, and they don't come with no sticker. I say when in doubt move your feet. Your speed may give you away as far as class, but doing thirty-plus mph, if your pedals are going around, you're good. On the street that is, though on mixed use trail one must go slow. Guess that's why we're heading for stricter ebike regulations. Tragedy of the commons, I suppose.

I just removed the throttle mechanism from my bike, and contemplating whether to paint over the Class 2 paint on the bike or simply cover it with an innocuous sticker of some sort. The Class replacement stickers I see on Amazon are not subtle. They are at least twice the size of the paint marking on the bike, and I don't need something screaming Class 1. I'm planning a few road trips to neighboring states with stricter regulations than I deal with locally, and do not want to encounter any compliance problems just because the bike is marked Class 2. I'm curious to learn how others have handled this.

With the throttle gone, then how about a "NOT Class 3" sticker?

I'll let myself out.
I was thinking of making a custom sticker. I don't know exactly why these things always reveal wattage, but they do. I can understand the reasoning if they exceeded 750 watts, but I'm only familiar with ordinances that require 750w or less (although a few statutes are clumsily worded. If I design a custom, I might print "749 watts".

My Vado came with an additional "class II" sticker unpeeled and ready for potential application within the included paperwork while the appropriate Class III sticker was already affixed to the bike frame.

I was thinking of making a custom sticker. I don't know exactly why these things always reveal wattage, but they do. I can understand the reasoning if they exceeded 750 watts, but I'm only familiar with ordinances that require 750w or less (although a few statutes are clumsily worded. If I design a custom, I might print "749 watts".
IIRC, 500W nominal is the limit for Classes 1 and 2 — at least here in California.

My Vado came with an additional "class II" sticker unpeeled and ready for potential application within the included paperwork while the appropriate Class III sticker was already affixed to the bike frame.
My Priority Current was shipped as a Class 1, but has an unlock option for Class 3, which I did on day one, inasmuch as I usually do not exceed 20mph. My Evelo Omega shipped as a Class 2, but also with a 20mph limit unless unlocked. I'll repeat a point I've made elsewhere: This e-bike class business has turned into a fool's errand. Enforce rider behavior, not whatever it is they're riding. (The exception being the new generation of 40 mph bike-scooter hybrids that do not belong on public paths or trails).

Jeremy said:
IIRC, 500W nominal is the limit for Classes 1 and 2 — at least here in California.
Good to know. I've been suggesting e-bikes to old friends who live in your area.

Enforcement has been a huge source of discussion. Ever seen a cop on any trail? How about a park ranger? Ever seen an inspector at a trail head? All of that is extremely rare RIGHT NOW. This it will become a more serious matter in the future. With riders using throttle only, riding at 30+mph on multi-use trails, and increases in accidents, it's my opinion this will be a strong issue in many jurisdictions. I've had 2 close calls on our Greenway Trail with high speed ebike "scooters" riding dangerously and too fast. First was on a blind curve with two scooters filling up the trail, and second was a guy coming up through the ditch onto the trail at speed without looking. Enforcement will happen.

Wondering how this one has aged. I still never see any enforcement on our greenbelts and they are hella crowded. I've seen lots of motorcycles, quads, yesterday a Subaru, wunderwheels, scooters, leashless dogs, you name it. Zero enforcement.

Most state laws allow for the DIY'er to set up a bike in the class they choose. It has to be fixed and labeled.
Not in California it doesn't. CA law requires manufactured bikes after a certian date to require a sticker applied by the manufacturer, but the DIY builder is not covered by that.
On and after January 1, 2017, manufacturers and distributors of electric bicycles shall apply a label that is permanently affixed, in a prominent location, to each electric bicycle. The label shall contain the classification number, top assisted speed, and motor wattage of the electric bicycle, and shall be printed in Arial font in at least 9-point type.
I've never heard anyone so much as ask for one, including the police who carted me off in an ambulance when I was hit by a car. They were very nice to take the wrecked bike home for me and put it behind the gate at my house though.

EDIT: EEK! its Return Of The Living Thread. Didn't realize these comments were years old.

Last edited:
Wondering how this one has aged. I still never see any enforcement on our greenbelts and they are hella crowded. I've seen lots of motorcycles, quads, yesterday a Subaru, wunderwheels, scooters, leashless dogs, you name it. Zero enforcement.
Same here in coastal north San Diego County. We have our share of MUPs and trails, and after riding several days a week for 18 months here, have yet to see law enforcement on any of them. And not for lack of irresponsible riding to crack down on — roadies old enough to know better included.

All this despite new bike safety ordinances in Carlsbad and Encinitas since mid-2022. These were designed in part to make enforcement less subject to dispute.

Nor do I see any enforcement against cars and pedestrians blocking clearly marked designated bike lanes and forcing cyclists into traffic.

The class system has pretty much disintegrated here. Local shops and D2C sites are selling throttle-equipped ebikes that would otherwise be Class 3s. Male teens terrorizing the trails on Surrons, high-power Super73s, and the like are all too common. And California's 750W limit to qualify as a true ebike (in no need of registration) is widely ignored.

No change in sight. Per a sheriff I talked to last fall, law enforcement agencies throughout the county are woefully short-staffed — more for attrition and lack of qualified applicants than for lack of funding.

Same here in coastal north San Diego County. We have our share of MUPs and trails, and after riding several days a week for 18 months here, have yet to see law enforcement on any of them. And not for lack of irresponsible riding to crack down on — roadies old enough to know better included.

All this despite new bike safety ordinances in Carlsbad and Encinitas since mid-2022. These were designed in part to make enforcement less subject to dispute.

Nor do I see any enforcement against cars and pedestrians blocking clearly marked designated bike lanes and forcing cyclists into traffic.

The class system has pretty much disintegrated here. Local shops and D2C sites are selling throttle-equipped ebikes that would otherwise be Class 3s. Male teens terrorizing the trails on Surrons, high-power Super73s, and the like are all too common. And California's 750W limit to qualify as a true ebike (in no need of registration) is widely ignored.

No change in sight. Per a sheriff I talked to last fall, law enforcement agencies throughout the county are woefully short-staffed — more for attrition and lack of qualified applicants than for lack of funding.

Same here on the Colorado Front Range. Cops be like - are you actively being murdered? If not, go away.

. Male teens terrorizing the trails on Surrons, high-power Super73s, and the like are all too common. And California's 750W limit to qualify as a true ebike (in no need of registration) is widely ignor
I'm seeing those as well here in rural Vermont. These are not really bicycles, inasmuch as they have supplemental pedals. Since they do seem marketed toward male teens, it's only a matter of time before serious accidents lead to restrictive laws crafted by legislators that wouldn't know a tricycle from a Harley. I'm afraid it's going to affect all of us.

Last edited:
Same here on the Colorado Front Range. Cops be like - are you actively being murdered? If not, go away.
When even a simple traffic stop can turn into a fatal encounter for the cop, hard to blame them for passing on the small stuff. No idea why anyone would go into law enforcement these days.

When even a simple traffic stop can turn into a fatal encounter for the cop, hard to blame them for passing on the small stuff. No idea why anyone would go into law enforcement these days.

I think it's more of a regional thing. I grew up in the Southeast and lived there for a while and the cops just loved to make contact with anybody. I've been here for over a decade & it's rare that they want anything to do with anybody shy of a serious crime. I think you'll find that in most big cities though - too many little things going on all the time.

Covid had an impact too. I've watched kids ride through town on one wheel on unplated motorcycles and the cops just look the other way. Probably a double whammy there - don't wanna get the 'rona + I imagine whoever is in charge discourages them chasing bikes...probably figure they're take themselves out of the gene pool without the cops' help & don't care for the liability & bad publicity.

But yeah, if it were me out there, I'd engage as few people as possible too. Unless they let me chase people on a moto. I'd wear that out braaaaaaaaaaaap 🚨

Not in California it doesn't.
"The bill would prohibit a person from tampering with or modifying an electric bicycle to change its speed capability, unless he or she appropriately replaces the classification label."

A few years I corresponded with the office of a CA Rep when I was researching to fight a local ban here. The above was put in place as a catchall for builders and shops.

It doesn't really matter; the horse has left the barn. Bans are increasing. Illegal bikes are everywhere, and communities are pissed off they are taking over paths and trails. My comments were from 2 years ago. 10 Years ago, was the golden age of ebiking for me. Everyone said what's an ebike?

It doesn't really matter; the horse has left the barn. Bans are increasing. Illegal bikes are everywhere, and communities are pissed off they are taking over paths and trails. My comments were from 2 years ago. 10 Years ago, was the golden age of ebiking for me. Everyone said what's an ebike?
I rode my first e-bike in 2008 but did not return to the e-bike scene until 2019. I was overwhelmed by the different configurations. Actually, I know a number of potential buyers now frozen by confusion and indecision. Cadence sensors, torque sensors, throttles, hydraulic vs mechanical brakes, folding, fat, etc. It all sounds like gobbledygook to first-timers.

To the point, what is an "illegal" bike now? That's not a rhetorical question. I'm in rural Vermont, but I've seen three teens riding high speed scooters with nominal pedals in different locations. The kid I saw last week I clocked at 40mph (give or take 1 or 2 mph). I know for sure because I was behind him in my car doing 35mph. He was running up on the sidewalk and then doing Evil Knievel jumps back onto the road. Admittedly, the road and sidewalk were empty, but I still can't believe any parent would allow this, and if I saw this on one of our glorious rail trails I'd be pissed. These exceed Class 3. Is there a Class 4? Are they legal without a drivers license and insurance?

I rode my first e-bike in 2008 but did not return to the e-bike scene until 2019. I was overwhelmed by the different configurations. Actually, I know a number of potential buyers now frozen by confusion and indecision. Cadence sensors, torque sensors, throttles, hydraulic vs mechanical brakes, folding, fat, etc. It all sounds like gobbledygook to first-timers.

To the point, what is an "illegal" bike now? That's not a rhetorical question. I'm in rural Vermont, but I've seen three teens riding high speed scooters with nominal pedals in different locations. The kid I saw last week I clocked at 40mph (give or take 1 or 2 mph). I know for sure because I was behind him in my car doing 35mph. He was running up on the sidewalk and then doing Evil Knievel jumps back onto the road. Admittedly, the road and sidewalk were empty, but I still can't believe any parent would allow this, and if I saw this on one of our glorious rail trails I'd be pissed. These exceed Class 3. Is there a Class 4? Are they legal without a drivers license and insurance?
Read your local motor vehicle laws. That is where they are regulated. In my state (VA), certain classes of ebikes may be ridden on the road and are required to obey the law as if they are automobiles, once off the road, they are not regulated. Ebikes that fall outside of the certain class ratings are not "street legal", but may still be ridden. The Federal statutes (Dept. of The Inteiror) regulates ebikes on Federal Lands. Citites and municipalies sometimes have their own regulatons. There is no one-size standard. There are no "illegal' bikes.

Back