Class sticker?

Understand the legal distinction between capability and action discussed earlier. Just passing on another data point...

Purchased our 2023 V Rooks at San Diego Electric Bikes in Solana Beach, CA in September, 2022. California law explicitly requires class stickers on ebikes, but (a) ours came with none, and (b) the manager was surprised we even wanted them. According to her -- grain of salt -- the odds of getting stopped while riding responsibly in San Diego County are nil.

The Rooks are sold as Class 2 ebikes here. They have throttles and ship with max assist speed set at 20 mph. The County allows Class 2 ebikes nearly everywhere bicycles are allowed. And we specifically wanted Class 2 ebikes to get in on the top-notch bike infrastructure and off-road riding in the area.

Problem was, we liked the stickerless Rooks far more than any stickered Class 2 ebike we tested in our price range. So we bought the Rooks anyway and slapped on the stickers @PetalUma mentioned, fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Many bikes will come with their own branding either on the paintwork or stickered on, but there's still plenty of space to add your customisation. You can either stick over painted branding or apply new stickers after removing the old ones to make a bike feel more your own.

I come from the make-your-own-ebike world, and they don't come with no sticker. I say when in doubt move your feet. Your speed may give you away as far as class, but doing thirty-plus mph, if your pedals are going around, you're good. On the street that is, though on mixed use trail one must go slow. Guess that's why we're heading for stricter ebike regulations. Tragedy of the commons, I suppose.

Back