Civante Upgrades

So far so good on the Pirelli SmartTube. I haven’t really put too much mileage on them yet though (~100mi). OTOH, the bike is heavy and I’m a big guy, so they can’t be THAT weak… I usually carry a spare with me too as well as a patch kit..
They tend to fail at the valves.

What crank did you put on?

Is this this one that you bought-

or

I have thought about going to a single crank but want a 50T for increased speed. I rarely use the smaller chain ring. How is the chain line with a single chain ring when using gears 1-3 and 7-10?

Is this this one that you bought-

or

I have thought about going to a single crank but want a 50T for increased speed. I rarely use the smaller chain ring. How is the chain line with a single chain ring when using gears 1-3 and 7-10?

This is the chainring I’m using.

The shifting through all 12 gears is solid. A hacked 1x Tiagra? It may perform ok, but… my concern with using derailleurs that aren’t meant for 1x is that they won’t have any kind of clutch (or otherwise) mechanism which will help to stop chain drop (as well as a proper 1x front chainring).

I measured everything many times, researched, and then “cut once”. Turned out that basically the chainline for the large chainring (which was all I really used too, thus even more appeal for 1x) is within spec to go 1x. Also the Wolf Tooth chainring is a proper 1x compatible with SRAM AXS flattop chains. So I just needed the new front chainring and new chainring bolts… no spacers or anything.

Wow, you are using a 12 speed. I would have thought that a 12 speed chain would not hold up to the torque of an E-bike. Time will tell. I still have concerns about my 105 cassette and chain holding up. The tiagra cassette is all steel I believe but the 105 is not and it is a risk for teeth braking off or worse from what I have read.

Thanks for the info. I may convert over to a single chainring next year.

Wow, you are using a 12 speed. I would have thought that a 12 speed chain would not hold up to the torque of an E-bike. Time will tell. I still have concerns about my 105 cassette and chain holding up. The tiagra cassette is all steel I believe but the 105 is not and it is a risk for teeth braking off or worse from what I have read.

Thanks for the info. I may convert over to a single chainring next year.
I ride without assist 90% or more of the time. It’s essentially just boost for climbing, heavy headwinds or dragging my butt home when I’m tired on a long ride.

12 speed chains? They aren’t all equal. SRAM AXS Rival, Force and Red chains are different, such as hollow pins in the Red chain.

That being said, we’ll see how it all holds up to wear and tear.

Hi! New member here with a Civante I've had for a couple of years. I'm curious about replacing the fork since my bike has the creaking noise that I can't get rid of. I suppose my only options on that front are to either get a tapered fork that measures exactly the same or a straight one with an expansion plug and a crown race if it isn't integrated. Maybe new bearings as well if I can't get the same angle.

The creaking is a known issue. It is a defect in the design. I do not believe that you can just replace the fork with a non Civante fork. I would have done that long ago. If you find a fork that works, let us know.

I posted here on EBR for what you need to swap to a carbon fork. FYI Civante is 11/8 to 11/4 tapered steerer. So odd duck for taper. 1 1/8 Straight with adapter crown race from crane creek.

Greeny, did you use the Cane Creek 110 series Alloy 47/30 1 1/4 to 1 1/8 adaptor? And what carbon fork did you use?

Thanks for the help.

Larry

For those that have been looking for replacement batteries, I went to China and got a Yamaha motor battery replacement that is 17 Ah, stock Yamaha battery is only 13 Ah, and for 1/3 the price of a stock one.

Works great and more battery capacity has extended my mileage range.

I ride in faster groups and need to run at High, and able to go average distance of 35 mile.
My average pace is 22+ MPH so it eats up capacity, but can still last the entire ride.

When I am going an extended distance 65+ miles I strp on a spare battery in a battery bag on top of the battery in use, using velcro straps.
When it is time to change the battery, I only need under 2 minutes.

For those that have been looking for replacement batteries, I went to China and got a Yamaha motor battery replacement that is 17 Ah, stock Yamaha battery is only 13 Ah, and for 1/3 the price of a stock one.

Where are you finding batteries that work with Yamaha systems but aren't made by Yamaha? I didn't think that was actually possible.

Where are you finding batteries that work with Yamaha systems but aren't made by Yamaha? I didn't think that was actually possible.

Back