Choices for a Heavier Person?

What I would use is a kit. Find a bike you like and add this to it. They will put their motor on any rim.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/282365465022?rmvSB=true
Rated for a 320 LB rider and easy to install. It will move you with ease. I had one, sold it when I was in Costa Rica and ordering another. PM me if interested for details on how to get a discount.

Hey Scarecrow good to see you over here. I'm 2yrs to go on the Unity forum. Saw you were back east for awhile, so you may want to run up to Hershey for the RV show starting on the 12th. RAD will have a booth there so you can see the bikes in the flesh. That's part of my plan, and maybe, hopefully order a new Unity. I too have been looking at what's available in close to the same price range and features, but along with the great support makes me keep circling back to the RAD mini. The only thing that I question is the the tariff pricing. If as they said they are absorbing most of the cost of the tariff and they are being charged about $400 tariff, that would mean their landed cost on the bike would be about $1600 for a bike they were selling for $1500. Frankly I think any business has the right to charge whatever price they want especially when even with the added fees their price is lower than most other comparable bikes. I just wish they didn't assume their customers don't know arithmetic.

I'm around 270 lbs and started around 300 lbs when I first purchased my Radrover back in Sept/16. I purchased two his/her Radrovers; but, the wife doesn't ride as much as me and I just ended up using both. I have +5600 miles between them with work commuting and fun trail rides. I like the Radrover with the geared rear hub because it has 80 nm of TQ compared to 40 nm of the Radcity or Radwagon.

I once weighed myself with the rover full loaded for middle of winter commute when I first got the bike (lunch, commuter back pack, tools, flat repair, water, work cloths, 15 degree winter riding gear, etc...). It came out to 390 lbs on the bathroom digital scale and the Radrover didn't miss a beat all winter long hauling that kinda of load around.

You won't feel underpowered riding the Radrover around. I do take a hit on range compared to my 130 lbs wife when we ride together. I still get 27-32 miles at PAS 3 with my 11.6 Ah battery depending hills and headwind.

The mods I made over the last 2 years were:
- Vee8 120 tpi tires
- Sunlite 0-60 adjustable stem for handlebars
- thumb throttle
- Bodyfloat v2.0 420mm suspension seatpost with orange springs
- Cloud 9 cruiser seat 12.5X11.5
- Topeak fat tire rack with topeak rack bag with fold out panniers
- TRP Spyke brakes with Jagwire cables

I bought a Volt bike Yukon LT last month and I love it. I did have a chance to compare my volt to a rad rover and they are compatible bikes . The upside for my volt was it came with everything I wanted installed. Rack, fenders, integrated lights and a bottle cage. The fellow with the rad had to get most of that after market. My frame also seemed a little beefier then the rads. Both are great bikes, just depends what you want.

FWIW - I had a EasyMotion BIg Bud Pro fatbike with motors in both wheels and while it was really cool and a lot of fun in light snow it wasn't anywhere near as much fun as any of the other 6 Ebikes I've owned. Fat wheels and tires add a heaviness to the steering and ride that I just didn't enjoy. Felt like driving a bus compared to a nice sedan, but that was undoubtedly worse because of the additional motor and weight in the front wheel. IF I lived somewhere it snowed more than 3 or 4 times a year I would have kept it but I don't.

Back