Chili Verde

PedalUma

Region
USA
City
Petaluma, CA
This is a place to discuss things that are Chilly and Verdant.
1644703519846.png

No pork in my chili, please 🤣🤣🤣
It's not green, but I have a friend who makes "beanless" chilli. It's kinda like watered down sloppy joes. Not for me, but apparently it's a thing now.
I make Cincinnati chilli (with pasta) and white chilli (without tomatoes or beef), but that's as far away from normal chilli as I will go.

Darn! Wish I had taken a picture a couple of days ago as my stepson made a gigantic pot of an amazing red chili with steak and lots of veggies. He called his dad and ask him to come by and pick up some since he could eat it all. Holy cow was it delicious…nice and spicy which I like. Oddly, I find as I get older I really like spicier foods then when I was younger.

Veggie chili is very good. I like to start with dried chili pods. These ones are not hot but are smoky and meaty with sweetness. It is the forth one in, in the second photo. Poblanos, second in are a great way to start also. I avoid the second one from the right. It is weapons grade hot, habanero. How long should we provide cover? I think this is a good start to avoid the earlier problem.
1644708766199.png
1644708791612.png

It's not green, but I have a friend who makes "beanless" chilli. It's kinda like watered down sloppy joes. Not for me, but apparently it's a thing now.
I make Cincinnati chilli (with pasta) and white chilli (without tomatoes or beef), but that's as far away from normal chilli as I will go.
I'm making Cinncinnati Chili for tomorrow. Recipe calls for Cocoa!

M&P Coney Island
3-dogs-with-everything.jpg

I didn't know chili could be green, or white, or even red until I grew up and moved away from the "hot dog capital of the world" where chili sauce is brown, has no beans, and is made by (now grandchildren of) Greek immigrants.

One positive from the pandemic is now you can order it online instead of having to get a relative to pick some up and FedEx it to you.

I am not joking and this is not hyperbole. A friend discovered a beer that if you drink 9 oz. you will be stoned and giddy. Even when eating bowls of chili. We could not split a can and felt like kids under the bleachers. Don't take my word for it, Verify. Each year's release is different and it is only around for about two weeks.
1644718132682.png

Attachments

• BigChicken1.JPG
    BigChicken1.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 234
  • BigChicken2.JPG
    BigChicken2.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 206
  • BigChicken3.JPG
    BigChicken3.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
I am INSPIRED to go out and buy a Costco-sized can of Hormel…the best kind for eating under a bridge
I love it. A guy has been walking a bike for five days with a broken rear wheel like the Orca with her dead calf. I am going to start putting cans of chili under bridges! For ten dollar store bucks I can do this each day of the week. These people have it hard.

That's Chilli not chilly you want to talk Chilly it's -17F here windchill for about the 300th time this winter!
There is an organized fat tire ride today but I said ah hell no.
I hope Wordle takes me a couple hours today, I'm getting cabin fever real bad!

I
Great thread topic. Chilli rocks my world. A meal doesn't feel quite complete without a splash of Sriracha or a cut up chilli from the garden sprinkled over it. The spring flush of peppers has withered now so I'm impatiently wait for the autumn crop.. the flowers have just started emerging.
I decided this winter that I would give extreme windowsill gardening a go and added CASCABELLA peppers to the usual basil, parsley and dill. Though not perfect, they are doing surprisingly well.
Note the snow outside this morning.

20220213_092707~3.jpg20220213_092843~2.jpg20220213_094144~2.jpg

Cascabella are some of the best peppers I've found as the small size is a perfect portion and the heat isn't extreme and can be eaten raw easily. As with any pepper.. If you allow it to mature it can gain more heat. Red is twice as hot as yellow with orange being a good medium.
IMG_20191105_172425.jpg

Back