Check with your insurance agent if you're looking to insure...

hoosierdoc

I just bought a Como 3 and wanted to insure it. I got a lot of quotes (including Velosurance) but circled back to my local agent assuming she'd be able to help but might be slightly more expensive. She was able to write it into my existing coverage with no deductible for less than $50 a year. So, you never know. She said this can get more complicated if you want liability insurance but since our state doesn't consider them different than bikes, they are just property. Velosurance with no liability and a $500.00 deductible was double that (although still cheap) so just check around.

I just bought a Como 3 and wanted to insure it. I got a lot of quotes (including Velosurance) but circled back to my local agent assuming she'd be able to help but might be slightly more expensive. She was able to write it into my existing coverage with no deductible for less than $50 a year. So, you never know. She said this can get more complicated if you want liability insurance but since our state doesn't consider them different than bikes, they are just property. Velosurance with no liability and a $500.00 deductible was double that (although still cheap) so just check around.
I just went through a long process of reviewing insurance coverage for my Class 3 bike with my agent and the company insurance underwriter. My insurance company (Auto-Owners Michigan) has finally decided that my e-bike must be insured on my auto policy as they consider it to be similar to a moped. The bike was previously insured under my homeowners policy.

The problem with the homeowners coverage was that it did not have liability coverage. While it is unlikely you will ever have an accident, if you do and have no liability coverage, you could lose all your assets in a lawsuit for damages/injury.

I am grateful that I had questioned my agent on what my liability coverage was. Had I not, I would have been exposed to liability claims in the event I was a fault in an accident.

Current coverage on my e-bike is $100 comprehensive, $500 collision, and $500k for liability.

Question your agent what your liability coverages are and get the response in writing.

While I was not too keen on my premium increasing from $71 to $175, I now have liability coverage that will protect my assets.

Our agent ended up having write them as motorcycle policies based on the information from the underwriter. This way we have full coverage on all three bikes for around $300ish a year. Considering what we pay for cars around here that didn't seem too bad to be full covered.

Please do not attempt to cover an electric bicycle under your home owners insurance. When and if it comes time for a claim (theft coverage only if stolen from your home!!!), you will find out that the insurance company does not care if the state considers it a “bicycle” as the insurance company will call it a motorized vehicle and deny your claim….

My wife is an insurance agent. She and her team fought this to State Farm Corporate levels to find out WTF can be done. Basically two options: Umbrella Policy on Personal Articles and Motorcycle Insurance. One gives you liability protection. Guess what one I have….
-BB

Thanks!
Called my Travel Agent and they were absolutely no help.

LMAO- try your insurance agent instead. Surprised you can still find a travel agent….(wow!)
-BB

Back