Cheap Suspension Seatposts - Worth it or Worse than nothing?

vita10gy

Region
USA
I did some searching on here, but anything people recommend that I gather from the context is a good affordable one is a 404 link.

Are seat posts like these in the $30 range total crap? You can spend like $300 on these things, so I don't expect them to be amazing, but are they better than no suspension at all?

(Or conversely is this a "yes, those are better than nothing but for only another $10 you can get the Blah Blah Z which is way better" situation?)

We had a Satori Harmony cheapo one we used on a couple of our hybrid bikes and thought they were better than nothing. Maybe only an inch of travel or so, but they are adjustable, perhaps a little bit, and were reasonably happy with it for the $$ invested. They provide just a shade of extra cushion from bone-jarring expansion joints or cracks, uneven pavement. About as useful as the [cheapo 😜] suspension forks they put on road-going bikes.
Sorry, can't speak to your example, or for other more expensive options. We ended up going with full suspension mountain bikes for all around use, as well as for trails.

I use a Trek Pavement Suspension seat post and it works fine (if adjusted correctly) for under $30. I use it with a Serfas E-Gel seat.

The Satori Animaris is an excellent budget post. I got one when they were $49. Now they are like $85. But a solid product. I have seen cheapo piston-type suspension seatposts fail and I would categorize them as worse than nothing. @vita10gy the post you linked, in the reviews there are multiple reports of it screeching on every bump. Sounds like a spring rubbing against the interior? Not something I would live with.

The Satori Animaris is an excellent budget post. I got one when they were $49. Now they are like $85. But a solid product. I have seen cheapo piston-type suspension seatposts fail and I would categorize them as worse than nothing. @vita10gy the post you linked, in the reviews there are multiple reports of it screeching on every bump. Sounds like a spring rubbing against the interior? Not something I would live with.

Yeah, I saw that, and might pass because of that. It was meant more as a stand in for all the $30 ones that look just like it on amazon.

Follow up question, I saw to check my current seat post for sizing information. I expected a straight forward something but it says
308 350
20 11
It's a 2021 espin flow. Assuming the website is up to date and I got all parts as listed it's a 30.4MM

Do I need that and only that, or would a 30.9 just be a little more snug and a tiny bit smaller just needs to be clamped tighter?

Last edited:
Follow up question, I saw to check my current seat post for sizing information. I expected a straight forward something but it says
300 350
20 11
It's a 2021 espin flow. Assuming the website is up to date and I got all parts as listed it's a 30.4MM

I presume the 300/350 are lengths, but I don't see any obvious way to turn "20 11" into the common MM options offered.

Do I need that and only that, or would a 30.9 just be a little more snug and a tiny bit smaller just needs to be clamped tighter?
You have to match the seatpost diameter exactly. You can't stuff in a different size UNLESS the post is smaller and you use a quality shim like a Cane Creek shim that is fairly long. But I suggest you don't even think about a shim as thats a can of worms.

Also too big needs a hammer (bad idea) and slightly too narrow means you clamp the $hit out of it and it will still slide, and the clamp is a lot of force on the clamp area alone which can mean a potentially catastrophic problem for your frame, at worst. Don't do dat :) .

Oftentimes, there are two measurements: One for the seatpost and one for the seatpost collar. The 'post' is the measurement of the seat POST, the collar is the outside diameter of the seat TUBE on the frame, which the collar needs to clamp on to. Make sure you don't mix them up or you'll be returning stuff.

And I just went and looked at the Espin Flow's product page... Its 30.4mm for the seatpost. You have to match 30.4mm, then.

Last edited:
Dang there are not a lot of options at 30.4

That leaves the other Satori posts for a budget move, but none will be in 30.4. You are going to have to do that thing I said not to do: Use a shim. I would only trust the Cane Creek shims as they are for sure long enough not to cause a problem. This one is 27.2 - 30.4.

Starting out with 27.2 will open things up quite a bit as thats a really common width. Now you can look at maybe the DNM or the Animaris at $80 in a 27.2 size. Or even the cheapie Satori Harmony at $50. But as mentioned above its really limited in travel.

I would not buy the Suntour post as I have seen it bottom out and bash into itself.

If you want to up your budget, the next step is the Thudbuster LT at about $150. Get the 27.2 with a Cane Creek shim.

Back