Charging Plug Procedure Frustration

RoadGlider

Region
USA
If this has been discussed already, I couldn't find it. I also couldn't find the answer anywhere else.
My wife and I ride almost daily (we're retired) and having to plug/unplug the charger's AC every time for our Aventon Level.2 and Aventure.2 seems crazy to me. I submitted this idea to Aventon Support but have not received an answer. I'm thinking of using a power strip like this (Amazon) with sockets that can be individually switched on and off. I'm reasonably knowledgeable about electricity and see no reason why this wouldn't be the same as plug/unplugging the AC power cord. But I also don't want to muck up a $4K+ investment.

Hi there! This is not recommended for safe charging practices. We suggest using a timer plug-in that will shut off after so many hours of charging.

Thanks for the replies. We're not into smart devices (yet). TeamAventon, please explain how a timer shut off is functionally different (safer) than an on/off switch on a power strip.

I would assume that what matters most, is to respect the order between plugging / unplugging the charger from the bike and plugging / unplugging the charger from the outlet.
So for example, if you are supposed to plug the bike into the charger first, then turn on/plug the charger in an outlet, the reverse procedure would be to first turn off/ unplug the charger from the outlet, then disconnect the bike from the charger.

As for turning off / unplug the charger from the outlet. If the charger does not have an on/off switch, I would think a switched outlet would be way better than pulling the plug from the wall which always carries the risk of a spark .....

But to the point of team aventon, if you are charging two batteries at the same time (two chargers), you do need to make sure they either are plugged into different (switched) outlets, or that the outlet/power bar being used can take at least 25% more amps than both charger loads combined.

For example, if a wall outlet is rated 15 amps, I would not put a charging load of more than 12 amps on it (80%), and same for the power strip if using one.

Last edited:
Both batteries are recommended to be charged at different outlets. Plugging two e-bikes into a power strip or one outlet can overload and blow a fuse in the wall. The wall timer plug-in is designed to shut off the charger so it doesn't overcharge the battery which can damage the battery. Here is a blog for more tips on battery care.
So load is the concern. Not the type of on off switch. I REread that blog article and it does not address this specific issue.

I would assume that what matters most, is to respect the order between plugging / unplugging the charger from the bike and plugging / unplugging the charger from the outlet.
So for example, if you are supposed to plug the bike into the charger first, then turn on/plug the charger in an outlet, the reverse procedure would be to first turn off/ unplug the charger from the outlet, then disconnect the bike from the charger.

As for turning off / unplug the charger from the outlet. If the charger does not have an on/off switch, I would think a switched outlet would be way better than pulling the plug from the wall which always carries the risk of a spark .....

But to the point of team aventon, if you are charging two batteries at the same time (two chargers), you do need to make sure they either are plugged into different (switched) outlets, or that the outlet/power bar being used can take at least 25% more amps than both charger loads combined.

For example, if a wall outlet is rated 15 amps, I would not put a charging load of more than 12 amps on it (80%), and same for the power strip if using one.
Thanks scrambler. Yes. I understand the sequence. For these bikes it's battery plug first then AC plug. Reverse when charged.

As for load, point taken. The house circuit is on a 20A circuit breaker. Aventon says each charger is 3A. The power strip is rated 15A with overload protection. So it seems to me that worst case is I trip the breaker.

IF there were an issue while on a 20a home circuit wall outlet (in good condition), I doubt seriously that it might be caused by an overloaded condition. Sometimes you need to take internet advice with a grain of salt....

I'm reasonably knowledgeable about electricity and see no reason why this wouldn't be the same as plug/unplugging the AC power cord. But I also don't want to muck up a $4K+ investment.
This depends on the type of switch used in the power strip or timer. Most are SPST and simply disconnect the "hot" side of the circuit leaving the ground / neutral side connected. A true disconnect switch is DPDT and opens both legs of the circuit.

Normally, this isn't a problem with most household electrical devices. It could however, cause issues with the charger / battery BMS circuits. There may also be a slight discharge if the battery remains connected to the charger when powered off. This of course depends on the charger / battery circuitry involved.

Another consideration is power surges, especially those caused by lightning strikes. I live in a lightning prone area and have lost several electronic devices due to these strikes. I always unplug my chargers to avoid adding my e-bike equipment to the list. If the charger is connected, even through an open SPST switch, arcing could occur during a surge and you could loose the charger, battery and possibly the bike as well.

Yes, it's a small possibility but why take a chance?

BTW, welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place to ask your questions!

Thanks 6zfshdb for the reply and the welcome. AventonTeam recommended the timer so they don't seem concerned about the switch type. And they want the battery to still be connected when we cut power although I started this thread to find an alternative to physically unplugging the AC. Lastly, the power strip I'm considering is also a surge protector. Many reviewers use it for their multiple power tool chargers.

Thanks scrambler. Yes. I understand the sequence. For these bikes it's battery plug first then AC plug. Reverse when charged.

As for load, point taken. The house circuit is on a 20A circuit breaker. Aventon says each charger is 3A. The power strip is rated 15A with overload protection. So it seems to me that worst case is I trip the breaker.
6 AMp sustained on a 15 Amp power strip should definitely not be an issue

Methinks Aventon is just playing some legal CYA. The math doesn't work to support their position.

I would, however, add a dumb timer to a more robust power strip. In one case I have a 1500w UPS with a timer hooked up to one of the plugs in the back. One of these. A whole $9.99 and it is a fail-safe that you never need to remember to walk over and switch off. Just learn how many volts per hour your charger adds to your battery and set it to cut off before then. This is a cheap way to buy yourself the benefit of 80% charging.

This thing is mechanical so its pretty much idiot proof. 12 hr limit.
61KgD31CEnL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Point of use surge protectors do not protect against surges from lightening, they only protect against normal mild surges from the power supplier. There's plenty of info on this from experts available online. I've lost a Wi-Fi router, backup computer power supply and computer due to an electrical storm and a commercial point of use surge protector. Also I'd be a little concerned about a $20 Chinese surge protector that isn't UL listed/certified.

Point of use surge protectors do not protect against surges from lightening, they only protect against normal mild surges from the power supplier. There's plenty of info on this from experts available online. I've lost a Wi-Fi router, backup computer power supply and computer due to an electrical storm and a commercial point of use surge protector. Also I'd be a little concerned about a $20 Chinese surge protector that isn't UL listed/certified.
Thanks J.R. I live in SoCal so lightening isn't a concern. Aventon assumes we're not going to use ANY surge protector. I was responding to another member who suggested there might be a small surge when the socket was turned off.

Back