Charging. Do you charge on the bike or take the battery off to charge it?

Bitmugger

Region
Canada
We take our batteries off to charge them as the bikes are stored in a cold area and we want the batteries warm in sub-zero weather. I'd be interested to learn if most people charge up with the battery on the bike or off the bike?

I charge on the bike (Aventon Level), and periodically remove battery to inspect both male and female contacts for carbon deposits or corrosion. It's summer now for me, but during colder times, I will bring the battery inside to charge as mentioned above.

Our bikes are kept in an unattached, unheated garage. If the temperature will be above 40° we charge the batteries on the bikes. Below that, I bring the batteries into the attached garage, which doesn't go below 45°.

We take our batteries off to charge them as the bikes are stored in a cold area and we want the batteries warm in sub-zero weather. I'd be interested to learn if most people charge up with the battery on the bike or off the bike?
My bike is always in an attached garage when not being ridden. It probably stays between 40 and 55F year round. I always bring the battery inside to charge.

I charge on the bike unless the temps are below 40 in the garage.
I also let the battery come to room temp. before charging.

Charging off-bike. Bike comes into my condo unit after every ride (breakfast nook area of the kitchen.)

Depends on bike and situation. DJ-mtb off bike always. RipCurrent, main battery mostly on bike, but secondary battery or the one not currently on the bike, then off bike. You'll have to adapt to what works for you.

On the bike, always. As a snowbird, I'm never in weather that might be hazardous to the batteries.

We have an attached garage where the bikes are stored, but I've always brought the batteries in for charging/storage.

Live in a condo so always charge indoors off the bike. I allow the battery to acclimate for a few hours before charging and usually charge to 80%

I 97% off the bike, on a thick rubber section of horse stall mat. My BMS's are setup to charge to 90% with the battery OFF position. So I normally always have one on a charger as I move between bikes and batteries and do not worry about over charging. All my bikes can interchange batteries of different capacities (depending on the weight trade-off and range desired) with the same type on connector. I keep chargers plugged in on a slab of stone. It makes swapping batteries easy. I keep them in an indoor workshop.

I never store or charge my batteries on the bike. No sense in giving a thief the whole package.

Back