Charging cycles - battery life

Here's what Specialized has onine re the battery warranty;

"What's the warranty on the battery?
Refer to the Turbo bike manual. The warranty terms are two years or 300 charge cycles/75% remaining capacity. This means that Specialized warranties batteries that have less capacity than 75% after 300 charge cycles. A charge cycle is a full charge, e.g. 604 charged watt hours make one charge cycle. Part cycles are calculated by the BMS system till one cycle can be added."

So, the warranty is based on full charge cycles. Much better than what the cycle counter in the app would imply. I'll keep an eye on the charge counter to see if it skips a count now and then to make up a full charge cycle count.

Mine definitely skips, and quite a lot. It's showing only 13 charge cycles and I've charged the bike probably more like 30+ times, maybe as much as 50. I don't use much battery each time so it's easy to tell for me.

My Giant seems to track partial charges proportionally (ie. Ten charges from 30% to 80% count as about 5 cycles).

My Giant seems to track partial charges proportionally (ie. Ten charges from 30% to 80% count as about 5 cycles).

Maybe they are timing how long the charge is on high rate only, not while balance charging. That would allow them, using a known charge rate and battery capacity, to come up with the number of "full" charges pretty accurately.

Back