Changing tire with Tannus Armor.

Acme

There has been talk Tannus Armor insert makes it difficult to replace the tire. One person mentioned it but the local bike shop destroyed a set of rims trying to do it.
Miraculously I got a flat on my rear wheel today. I thought I never would with the Armor but it happened. Trying to remove the tire was difficult but there is a trick to it. The insert pushes the tire snug against the rim and I think actually grabs on to it. In order to get enough room to pop the tire off or back on you have to constantly work around the tire with your thumb and forefinger squeezing at the bead to make sure it doesn’t lock in place. as long as you keep the tire loose on the rim it goes back on just like any other tire. I also wanted to note my bike has the Kindernay IGH. removing the tire was actually easier than removing the chain from a cassette. The shifting mechanism sense simply pops right off.

There has been talk Tannus Armor insert makes it difficult to replace the tire. One person mentioned it but the local bike shop destroyed a set of rims trying to do it.
Miraculously I got a flat on my rear wheel today. I thought I never would with the Armor but it happened. Trying to remove the tire was difficult but there is a trick to it. The insert pushes the tire snug against the rim and I think actually grabs on to it. In order to get enough room to pop the tire off or back on you have to constantly work around the tire with your thumb and forefinger squeezing at the bead to make sure it doesn’t lock in place. as long as you keep the tire loose on the rim it goes back on just like any other tire. I also wanted to note my bike has the Kindernay IGH. removing the tire was actually easier than removing the chain from a cassette. The shifting mechanism sense simply pops right off.
Any idea what caused your flat?

If you wanted a tube for trailside replacement, have you seen the tubes that are not a completed circle? They come to two ends that butt up against one another. That way you don't have to remove a back rim on the trail as long as you're willing to cut old tube off. (Only intended for temporary use.)

It was news to me when I saw it anyway.

Sorry I should have mentioned that, somehow there was a tear around the valve. The armor didn’t job it was just a bad tube or something
I recently had a similar flat with Tannus Armor but I think my issue was I used a patched tube. I couldn't find anything else amiss. That said, the setup lasted a month or so. At least I found the tire flat in the garage vs on the trail! I had a fairly easy time putting the brand new tube in once I applied some baby powder. I kept the tire and the Tannus on the rim and slid the new tube in carefully. Been on my regular 27 mile workout ride with the new tube and all went well.😎
1E78818A-BB06-4D4D-A87B-759F691013ED.jpeg
7A599C71-851C-4989-BADC-239F35DDCCB7.jpeg

Last edited:
BTW, I’m running with the Tannus & tube pumped up to <30 psi vs the 40+ I used to run.

If you wanted a tube for trailside replacement, have you seen the tubes that are not a completed circle? They come to two ends that butt up against one another. That way you don't have to remove a back rim on the trail as long as you're willing to cut old tube off. (Only intended for temporary use.)

interesting, do you have a name or link for that tube?

thanks

The Gaadi two end tube can be used permanently. I have them on my UCP and they have been installed over 18 months with no issues.

I cannot find any data that shows "only intended for temporary use"

Ahh, good to know. Hence the value of "not believing anything you read on the Internet" - or, at least verifying it.

AstroTurf I'll check the brand I have just to have options available.

The Gaadi two end tube can be used permanently. I have them on my UCP and they have been installed over 18 months with no issues.

I cannot find any data that shows "only intended for temporary use"
The mechanic at my local LBS says the Gaadi style tubes can "creep" inside the tire. Basically, the two blunt ends don't remain touching each other. The gap between them creates a soft spot in the tire and can causes wheel tramp. This depends on the tire size and how well the Gaadi tube fits.

I've used the Gaadi's and haven't seen this myself but I don't have that many miles on them yet.

Seems unlikely but wondering if rim locks are needed on these bikes. Have a Sur Ron and some riders use them to keep the tire from slipping on the rim under power. The slip leads to stress on the stem and tears around it. Haven't encountered that with stock tubes and power on those bikes but folks running low pressures or higher power or lighter tubes have needed them.

Seems unlikely but wondering if rim locks are needed on these bikes. Have a Sur Ron and some riders use them to keep the tire from slipping on the rim under power. The slip leads to stress on the stem and tears around it. Haven't encountered that with stock tubes and power on those bikes but folks running low pressures or higher power or lighter tubes have needed them.
I like the idea of the rim lock. I have never heard of it before, any suggestions on which one to buy.

Haven't tried it yet because I haven't seen that damage with stock power and tubes on Sur Ron but saw positive comments about Motion Pro and Talon rim locks. Have 1200 miles on that bike running over tons of sharp rocks, sticks, roots and other hazards with no flats. Also moto guys talk about tires that are tough enough to ride home slowly when flat and seem to be tubeless fans for easy repair. I think the real potential for the Hydra is not sweating every gram and beefing up enough of the failure points well enough to make it a worry free ride even in tough conditions while still performing ok. Hope we can all help with that.

Back