Changing stock Assist levels

Larry Larson

Former USCF road racer with congestive heart failure. I purchased a Giant Road E+ in early summer 2017. I've found that I could really use finer adjustments for the assist levels. This would really help me keep my heart in a safe zone while both matching my speed to my riding partners, and maximizing my time in my target exercise zone.
Eco mode is close to what I need most of the time and I believe it represents approximately 100% assistance. I don't really use Power mode (280% assistance) at all, and normal mode (180% assistance) is also really more than I need except in rare instances. What would be really nice is to have finer adjustments, maybe in 20% increments, between the range of 60% and 200%, but I would settle for 80%, 100%, 120%, and 140%.
Is there any way to replace or reprogram the assist controller?

Former USCF road racer with congestive heart failure. I purchased a Giant Road E+ in early summer 2017. I've found that I could really use finer adjustments for the assist levels. This would really help me keep my heart in a safe zone while both matching my speed to my riding partners, and maximizing my time in my target exercise zone.
Eco mode is close to what I need most of the time and I believe it represents approximately 100% assistance. I don't really use Power mode (280% assistance) at all, and normal mode (180% assistance) is also really more than I need except in rare instances. What would be really nice is to have finer adjustments, maybe in 20% increments, between the range of 60% and 200%, but I would settle for 80%, 100%, 120%, and 140%.
Is there any way to replace or reprogram the assist controller?
I believe the brands that offer assist configuration is Bafang using a wired connection to a personal computer and specialized using blue tooth connection to a mission control app device.

I have a Bafang BBSHD and it has 10 configurable assist levels (0-9) I got tired of switching back and forth between assist levels and settled for 5 assist levels (I discarded the other 5). If my desired assist is somewhere between 2 levels, I start with the higher setting and then settle down to the lower one once I gained speed.

One thing to keep in mind and adjust your riding habit is to keep your cadence within the most efficient cadence of the Yamaha motor itself. That might be a significant adjustment to some since most road cyclists want to keep their cadence between 80-100 rpm. The Yamaha's efficient cadence range is somewhere between 60-80 rpm. Above 80 rpm, the motor is already winded and most of the work comes from your legs. Shift up when your cadence goes beyond 80 and you will be amazed how much performance gain you get compared to maintaining your cadence above 80.

Last edited:
I believe the brands that offer assist configuration is Bafang using a wired connection to a personal computer and specialized using blue tooth connection to a mission control app device.

I have a Bafang BBSHD and it has 10 configurable assist levels (0-9) I got tired of switching back and forth between assist levels and settled for 5 assist levels (I discarded the other 5). If my desired assist is somewhere between 2 levels, I start with the higher setting and then settle down to the lower one once I gained speed.

One thing to keep in mind and adjust your riding habit is to keep your cadence within the most efficient cadence of the Yamaha motor itself. That might be a significant adjustment to some since most road cyclists want to keep their cadence between 80-100 rpm. The Yamaha's efficient cadence range is somewhere between 60-80 rpm. Above 80 rpm, the motor is already winded and most of the work comes from your legs. Shift up when your cadence goes beyond 80 and you will be amazed how much performance gain you get compared to maintaining your cadence above 80.

I selected the Giant Road with the Yamaha system in part because I had read that it seemed to be optimized for a somewhat lower cadence. I had expected and confirmed, on my standard road bike, that lowering my cadence shifted some of the strain from my cardiovascular system. I was able to maintain the highest speed, with the lowest heart rate, somewhere in the 70-75rpm range. That's a big change from when I had a healthy heart. The Yamaha system seems a good match for someone in my situation. Just looking for maybe an aftermarket solution to reprogram the assist levels. Not a huge deal, but my heart seems to handle the load to a certain point, and then my heart rate can make a pretty big jump to just a seemingly small increase in effort.
It's an interesting experience to go from being a cardiovascular beast to a being a cardiovascular wreck, but I do have this new toy to play with :)

I’m asking Giant if I can install the Sync Pro motor on my Road E. 5 assist levels versus three on the Sport motor. I’ll report back mid week. I agree the Road E needs more choices.

Back