Change cassette or Freewheel

Art C

Region
USA
Rear hub on my ebike is a 14-28, would like to change it to 12-32.
It is a 7 speed
My freewheel is a Suntour MF-TZ500-7
Can anyone help me to get the correct hub that will work?
I have never changed one yet so a little confused about the hub style.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Drift maniac makes 7 speed 11-32 and 11-34 freewheels. I have one on a bike, it is loud when freewheeling but function is fine. Only need to buy a ~$10 freewheel removal tool if you already have a large wrench.

1696005033681.png

Sunrace makes a 14-34 7s freewheel as well. 14T on the small side may not be such a bad fit vs the 12T.

All the people I know who were in the market for 7s freewheels used DNP/Drift Maniac. I think the Sunrace is a new entry as I haven't seen it before now.

To remove it place the wheel with tire on the ground and turn it counter clock-wise using your weight. You can extend your wrench with a piece of pipe. I am not so sure with a wench though.

You want to buy a Park FR1-3 freewheel removal tool for most modern Shimano freewheels. Its center hole will allow the standard 9 pin motor cable to go thru, if your motor has the cable coming out of the axle. Won't work for the fatter 9 pin cables used on bigger motors.

I found that if I mount the Park tool in a vise, even a 100 lb wench can grab the tire and lever off any freewheel, no matter how bad it was stuck,

You want to buy a Park FR1-3 freewheel removal tool for most modern Shimano freewheels. Its center hole will allow the standard 9 pin motor cable to go thru, if your motor has the cable coming out of the axle. Won't work for the fatter 9 pin cables used on bigger motors.
If that tool doesn't do it, this one will. The big fat Bafang motors will not work with that Park tool. Been there and done that sadly. All sorts of workarounds used to be needed. This tool was made specially to solve the problem... and its priced accordingly.

The workaround was to take an angle grinder to that Park tool and cut a channel all the way into it on one side. so you could pass the cord thru into the center. Then you used a screwdriver stuffed into the hole with one hand to brace it as you turn the tool with a wrench with the other hand. Not an ideal situation but a cheap fix. I don't miss it.

Good information, it'd be worth $50 to have the right tool for that motor. The standard park tool does work with my 500w geared hub motor.

Well, ordered a 11-32 Drift Mamiac and tool. Looked at my hub and the power wire comes in from the brake rotor side. Parts are due Tuesday.
Thank you all for the help!!!!

Art

Strike one, tool didn't fit over my 14mm axle. Park tool on order now. Will try again....

Back