Chain Replacement

Don't misunderstand me, I am not saying you even need to adjust it, in normal operation the derailleur tension will take up any minor slack.
I'm not an expert, but derailleur tension has no connection with chain stretch. None. The problem with chain stretch isn't how long the chain is, it's a question of how the links fit on the cogs of the chaiinring, freewheel, and derailleur. If the links stretch too much the chain doesn't mesh like it should with the cogs. When that happens the cogs wear out.

The thing you picked up on about 16th of in inch stretch on a 50 inch chain is just erroneous. Without going back to figure out where that came from, either someone misstated that or you misunderstood. 1/16" out of 12 inches is 0.5%. Pretty much standard thinking is to replace a chain when it reaches 0.5%, definetly by the time it reaches 0.75% (3/32" out of 12 inches.)

TT

I think the piece that was missing Tars, is the 12" length of chain to measure when measuring stretch (without a tool). -Al

I'm not an expert, but derailleur tension has no connection with chain stretch. None. The problem with chain stretch isn't how long the chain is, it's a question of how the links fit on the cogs of the chaiinring, freewheel, and derailleur. If the links stretch too much the chain doesn't mesh like it should with the cogs. When that happens the cogs wear out.

The thing you picked up on about 16th of in inch stretch on a 50 inch chain is just erroneous. Without going back to figure out where that came from, either someone misstated that or you misunderstood. 1/16" out of 12 inches is 0.5%. Pretty much standard thinking is to replace a chain when it reaches 0.5%, definetly by the time it reaches 0.75% (3/32" out of 12 inches.)

TT

The 1/16th" for the entire chain length was posted earlier in this same thread. I questioned that and so "here we are".

I agree it's wear that causes the chain to stretch. It also allows it to compress more than it should so maybe chain "slop" or "slack" is better word.

so maybe chain "slop" or "slack" is better word.
Maybe....but definitely not stretch ;)
Stretch eludes to something being soft or elastic and capable of being made longer or wider without tearing or breaking, which a chain is neither

Semantics.....

I have determined that my chain is not out of tolerances, using the 12 inch ruler method. I misread the ruler in poor light.

I have determined that the loud, metallic clicking noise I am experiencing when putting substantial pressure on the pedals is definitely coming from the area where the crank passes through the frame. I can grab each pedal on either side, apply off-axial pressure on the crank, and there is "play" (looseness) in that area where the crank passes through the frame. All crank bolts are tight.

I have initiated a ticket with Rad on this issue. I'll post what I find out, in a new thread.

I have determined that my chain is not out of tolerances, using the 12 inch ruler method. I misread the ruler in poor light.

I have determined that the loud, metallic clicking noise I am experiencing when putting substantial pressure on the pedals is definitely coming from the area where the crank passes through the frame. I can grab each pedal on either side, apply off-axial pressure on the crank, and there is "play" (looseness) in that area where the crank passes through the frame. All crank bolts are tight.

I have initiated a ticket with Rad on this issue. I'll post what I find out, in a new thread.

How many miles do you have?

If there is some play, is the cadence sensor touching the ring ?

Maybe....but definitely not stretch ;)
Stretch eludes to something being soft or elastic and capable of being made longer or wider without tearing or breaking, which a chain is neither

Definitely not eludes. If you're going to try to get all grammatical on us, then you should note that the word you were looking for was alludes.

And, according to Webster's Dictionary our use of the word stretch, as in chain stretch, is perfectly appropriate:

Definition of stretch
3: to extend in length

Which is exactly what we're measuring, that the chain has extended in length, as directly measured.

Heck, there's even a stretch limousine. Hopefully, not too much soft nor elastic there.

I'm glad we got that straight.....

Back