Chain Line - Turbo Creo

Boristhebold

Region
Europe
I tried a search for this but failed to find anything.
New to me Turbo Creo SL and half the time I put it in first gear, the chain drops off. The chain line doesn't look brilliant (I aren't a fan of 1 x 11!) I'm considering getting a bigger set of sprockets than fitted and just using 2-11...but with 2nd being the same as the original 1st...if that makes sense. Anyone see any issues with this ?

I tried a search for this but failed to find anything.
New to me Turbo Creo SL and half the time I put it in first gear, the chain drops off. The chain line doesn't look brilliant (I aren't a fan of 1 x 11!) I'm considering getting a bigger set of sprockets than fitted and just using 2-11...but with 2nd being the same as the original 1st...if that makes sense. Anyone see any issues with this ?
This has been discussed many times in these forums (please use the Search option).

There are two common solutions:
  • Replace the Praxis chainring with a Garbaruk or Wolftooth, or
  • Install a chainguide.
Other possible explanations are a misadjusted derailleur (I could almost bet on that!) or a bent derailleur hanger.

I do not think you can put a 2x11 drivetrain on the Creo.

Thanks, I don't want to try to put a 2 x 11....I meant using gears 2 to 11 rather than gear no 1...which causes the issue.
(I did a search but obviously not well enough)

The chain is coming off at the large cassette on the wheel and not on the crank (pedals area)? That’s a pretty easy adjustment of the limit screw… there’s a million YouTube videos about that, including some particularly good ones from the ParkTool people

I should have written it more clearly. The chain drops off the inside of the chainwheel when the bike is in 1st gear. You can see that the chain line in that gear is just too much for the chain (God knows what the campag 1 x 13 looks like!) I'll try a new rear block of 11 - 51 which has the following sprocket sizes....11-13-15-18-21-24-28-33-39-45-51T (I'll adjust so that it can't go into first gear)
Thanks

I should have written it more clearly. The chain drops off the inside of the chainwheel when the bike is in 1st gear. You can see that the chain line in that gear is just too much for the chain (God knows what the campag 1 x 13 looks like!) I'll try a new rear block of 11 - 51 which has the following sprocket sizes....11-13-15-18-21-24-28-33-39-45-51T (I'll adjust so that it can't go into first gear)
Thanks
If you are positive the derailleur is perfectly aligned and the chain length ensures it is tensioned at all times, you may replace the chainring (I really recommend Garbaruk chainrings) or install the chain guide.

Cheers.
It may be just me but....it seems mad that I'd have to do that (or replace the cassette to get a low enough gear) on what is effectively a brand new £4000 bicycle.

First things to check are:
Is the chain installed correctly in the praxis chainring? It’s a “wave” design and a diagram on the inside face of the chainring shows the proper link-to-tooth orientation.

And is the derailleur clutch in the “on” position?

Thanks
Sounds like a reasonable solution to me. Please let us know how it goes.

Will do. The chain is on correctly, the gearing is set up perfectly. It is obviously a less than brilliant design/set up if some people resport to changing their chanring...hey ho....the bike is brilliant apart from that.

Back