Chain Keeper on the CCX can it be sold separately?

Andy_in_CA

@toraharris can the chain keeper be sold separately? I have a CCS with chain dropping issues and I noticed in the pics for the CCX that there is a chain keeper on it. can you add this to the accessories for sale? I would love to try it!

thanks

Andy

@toraharris can the chain keeper be sold separately? I have a CCS with chain dropping issues and I noticed in the pics for the CCX that there is a chain keeper on it. can you add this to the accessories for sale? I would love to try it!

thanks

Andy

I haven't seen anyone mention this for a while now, how long have you had your bike?

Yes, it’s been installed on my HF1000 for the past 3500 miles and hasn’t dropped a chain once.
Interesting. I may look at getting one for my CCX then. Does the chain popping happen relatively often? What conditions usually cause this?

Chain drops are mainly caused by riding over uneven pavement or a big bump. The 9 speed drive chain that juiced bikes uses on all of their bikes does not have the adjustable clutch that holds the tension on the derailleur like on some of the Deore XT 10 speeds.

the chain spy doesn't work well on the CCS because of the geometry down there. The fender and the battery with this design doesn't make the thing install properly. :/

the chain spy doesn't work well on the CCS because of the geometry down there. The fender and the battery with this design doesn't make the thing install properly. :/

That's too bad, I just looked at the picture of the CCX again on their website and the battery is a lot closer to the seat tube than the HF bikes.

You probably won't need a chain keeper if you shorten your chain (Juiced seems ship them longer than necessary), and switch to a wide-narrow chainring.

I don't think I have this on my CCX. Maybe it's something you have to install yourself? I'll have to check the box of stuff that came with the bike after vacation.

A narrow wide chainring pretty much solved all my chain drop issues on the original CC. The only situation where it dropped was the freehub seizing from internal rust causing chainsuck.

I haven’t dropped a chain since installing a Shadow Plus derailleur on my Cross Current. It would happen pretty frequently on the top assist level prior to that.

I haven’t dropped a chain since installing a Shadow Plus derailleur on my Cross Current. It would happen pretty frequently on the top assist level prior to that.

can i keep the current casset? and just put on that new derailleur?

can i keep the current casset? and just put on that new derailleur?

AFAIK they don’t make 9sp Shadow Plus derailleurs. If you bought a 10sp derailleur and ran a wider 9sp chain you might run into issues. I guess you search the internet and see if anyone has successfully run that setup. When I did the upgrade I installed a 10sp shifter, chain, cassette and derailleur.

AFAIK they don’t make 9sp Shadow Plus derailleurs. If you bought a 10sp derailleur and ran a wider 9sp chain you might run into issues. I guess you search the internet and see if anyone has successfully run that setup. When I did the upgrade I installed a 10sp shifter, chain, cassette and derailleur.

ok... then i have to do the whole thing. coolio.

You probably won't need a chain keeper if you shorten your chain (Juiced seems ship them longer than necessary), and switch to a wide-narrow chainring.
Is this the best (or easiest) option vs. replacing the whole group (10sp shifter, chain, cassette and derailleur)? I have yet to really put any miles on my CCX, but I don't want a chain falling issue when I transition to commuting to work early next year. This situation is all relatively new to me, so I appreciate the insight.

Shortening the chain is pretty easy, as is changing to a wide/narrow chainring. Your local bike shop will do this pretty cheaply if you don't want to. The parts cost will be about $50. It will also give you the opportunity to swap to a smaller chainring. You might want to do this anyway if you live in a hilly area.

I don't really see the need to get a derailleur with clutch. The wide/narrow ring will hold onto your chain pretty well. It has for me on a couple of bikes. Shortening the chain so it's just long enough to handle the biggest cog will help the excess chain bouncing in the smaller cogs. That's the real root of the problem.

Back