Chain breaking constantly?

itsjustme

So my chain has broken twice on two rides. First time I took it to the bike shop. Detailed bent, rotors bent. Had fixed. 2nd bike ride I’m about 5 miles from home and snap. Chain broken again.

Suffice it to say that I am not a happy customer right now.

Aside from sending it back any thoughts or suggestions?

So my chain has broken twice on two rides. First time I took it to the bike shop. Detailed bent, rotors bent. Had fixed. 2nd bike ride I’m about 5 miles from home and snap. Chain broken again.

Suffice it to say that I am not a happy customer right now.

Aside from sending it back any thoughts or suggestions?

I'm sorry to hear about this!

The only time a chain breaks is it wasn't installed correctly. Did the bike shop instil quick links correctly when they replaced it?

Roshan. Your original chain broke on my first ride. This was my second ride. The bike shop is very good. I assume they did the repair job correctly.

Please see the email I sent you directly for further details. Having this happen in traffic today was both seriously unpleasant and dangerous. To say nothing of stunningly inconvenient.

The only time a chain breaks is it wasn't installed correctly. Did the bike shop instil quick links correctly when they replaced it?
Chains can also break when people shift under heavy load, jump multiple gears at once, or shift at a stand still and start pedaling fast. Cross-chaining can also break chains, but I don't think any Biktrix models come with more than one chainring.

Last edited:
Sorry. Juggernaut FS. Was a pin. Not near the master link. No broken teeth. I've got the cassette being looked at. The rotors I am referring to is that the brake rotors. They were severely bent on arrival.

Super frustrated. 2 rides, two broken chains. Back in the LBS. I'll advise of updates.

I have never seen a broken chain pin, ever. Perhaps you mean the pin separated from the outer link plates? That is the most frequent type of failure. How was the chain repaired the first time? Was the second failure a different link?

Chain was repaired. We've ordered a higher strength "ebike" chain this time around and are replacing it. I'm dubious as to wether and "e-bike" chain is just marketing. LBS has experience with (and sells) mid-drive bikes. They were both surprised by the breaks and are interested in finding a solution. Good guys at the Richardson Bike I'll keep folks updated as this progresses.

I have been in touch with the manufacturer as well.

Thanks all.

LBS has experience with (and sells) mid-drive bikes. They were both surprised by the breaks and are interested in finding a solution

Just curious, does your LBS sell bikes with a mid drive motor as powerful as the one you have? I can understand hub motors being 1000W+, but with a mid drive putting all that energy and torque through a bike chain designed around humans seems like a great way to break chains. The more common mid drives are more like 250W or 350W

Chriskmee- No. Not many folks as best as I can tell sell mid-drives with that power. At least not in Dallas. But the response from the manufacturer as essentially been "that shouldn't happen" and "you shouldn't need a new chain, just repair the broken link." And, in fairness, "send me the invoice for the repair of the chain." So we are going to try and work through it as best we can.

I'll keep folks apprised of the results.

Thanks!

Chriskmee- No. Not many folks as best as I can tell sell mid-drives with that power. At least not in Dallas. But the response from the manufacturer as essentially been "that shouldn't happen" and "you shouldn't need a new chain, just repair the broken link." And, in fairness, "send me the invoice for the repair of the chain." So we are going to try and work through it as best we can.

I'll keep folks apprised of the results.

Thanks!

What gear were you when when the chain broke while starting from a stop? Did you full throttled it? Were you in the highest PAS level?

Chain was repaired. We've ordered a higher strength "ebike" chain this time around and are replacing it. I'm dubious as to wether and "e-bike" chain is just marketing. LBS has experience with (and sells) mid-drive bikes. They were both surprised by the breaks and are interested in finding a solution. Good guys at the Richardson Bike I'll keep folks updated as this progresses.

I have been in touch with the manufacturer as well.

Thanks all.
Read about your issues with chain breaks....what was the final verdict? Any advise or mods we can make to alleviate this problem?

If the brake rotor was bent (assuming this is the rear wheel) then that would seem to indicate there was some damage during shipping. It could be the wheel itself might be out of true or the cassette was also damaged (e.g. bent cogs, etc.) If this is the case then I would say that's the primary reason for the chain breaking vs. anything going on with the motor or the chain itself. I'd have your LBS check the trueness of the wheel/cassette and your chainline. I'd also check the derailleur hanger - make sure it's not bent.

Back