CCX vs S2?

cuwatra

About ready to pull the trigger on a Juiced Cross Current. Should I get the S2 or X? Basically...is the X worth the $400 price increase? I really like the 19.2ah battery but the other specs on the two bikes seem so similar I figure I can just buy aftermarket fenders and a rear rack and save a good chunk of coin by opting for the S2. Anyone tried both or own both? What should I do? o_O

BTW...prices right now (March, 2020) are $1800 and $2200.

1583718207902.png

I have a Juiced CCS and if it were me I'd go for the CCX. That's because I'd want the bigger battery as well as the rack and fenders. Having said that the fenders are pretty low quality. If you didn't want the bigger battery then I'd go for the S2. But I'd really want the bigger battery.

I have about 8,000 km's on my CCS now and I'm starting to notice the battery has a bit less capacity. Generally I'd go for the bigger battery, but I know it's not for everyone.

I think if you plan to go fast or use throttle only it's almost a no brainier. Plus the bigger battery would give you the freedom to extend the battery's service life by keeping it between 20-80% charge.

If you get the S and decide to shell out for an additional battery later you're looking at $1300 for the 19.2ah.

I am at the 500 mile mark with a CCX after 2 months of ownership. Recreational riding. I love the tires, although can't say I can compare. I find the fenders functional and kinda get the lack of investment (the thing's heavy, these just bend back in shape if you torque them while lifting) - dealing with replacements elsewhere? no thanks. It comes pretty ready to ride, so why deal with another rack.

But the real money is in the battery range. Say you ride between 80 and 20% - to make your battery last longer. And that you ride half your trip into gusty winds (or hilly terrain), and you like to pedal hard but also haul ass and go far. That's where that range comes in handy. And perhaps that battery management will pay off over time without overcompromising trip range. So much math if you want.

I'm enjoying it so much on 20-60 mile day trips in Fla. I am glad I took the "what's another 400 at this point" approach. I might have choked at 2500. No, I'm sure I would have choked! But I would have already had more range anxiety experiences and might abandon the battery management approach.

Which is where the discussion of "it's the second bike that counts anyway" begins....welcome. It's a win-win choice.

Last edited:
Thanks folks.

How comfortable are the ergos on these bikes? The bars look fairly flat and low with little rise or spacers included to get them up higher.

Thanks folks.

How comfortable are the ergos on these bikes? The bars look fairly flat and low with little rise or spacers included to get them up higher.
I find the position way too upright. Would prefer a lower more aggressive position. I find the upright position causes very significant battery drain at higher speeds.

Better tires, rear rack, fenders, bigger battery, more power...I think these extras are worth the additional $400. I don't know anything about the Kenda K1088 tires on the CCS (they seem to be discontinued) but since chaging a flat is extra work on this bike, flat resistant tires shouldn't be overlooked; the Schwalbes are generally considered top-of-the-line. If you're riding regularly, you'll want all these things. And finding an after-market rear rack to fit this bike might take some experimenting. It's a weird set up back there...

I have a CCX and would get one again.

I find the position way too upright. Would prefer a lower more aggressive position. I find the upright position causes very significant battery drain at higher speeds.

You can get more aero by flipping/lengthening the stem and getting narrower handlebars. Straight mtb bars are a dumb choice anyway on a commuter street bike.

I thought about getting a longer stem and one with zero or negative rise, but in the end I just bought a Creo instead :)

Bigger battery = good. This is the cheapest way to get it. I paid extra for what was then the whopping 17.4 Ah, 48 V battery and have never regretted it. I'd love to have the 19.2 Ah, 52 V battery. Greater range and better performance. If I were in the market for a CrossCurrent today, I'd go with the CCX without a backward glance. I've been trying to convince myself to replace my CCS ever since the CCX came out.

Back