CCS minimal fender option

DanInStPete

I know most of you commute and need or want the rack and full fenders. The rack is really nice if you need it, and the fenders are too so long as you solve the rattling issue.

Commuting is not an option for me and I use the bike for exercise, fun and exploring. If I'm going on a longer ride or want to do a light grocery run I wear my Camelbak, which has a lot of room in it.

We do have a rainy season however, and storms can pop up out of nowhere. I wanted a smaller fender for the front that I could leave on, and something for the back I could put on if storms are in the forecast.

After a LOT of searching I settled on these two options, and they are working out perfectly.

Front: Mudhugger Standard Front Fender. This is a zip-tie fender I paid way too much for but works perfectly. It's made in the UK and cost me $30 plus $10.95 shipping.

Back: Blackburn Splashboard. Got this for $14.95 delivered, from Amazon. This pops on in 30 seconds and is surprisingly stable. I could leave it on all the time if I wanted too.

Attachments

• IMG_0901.jpg
    IMG_0901.jpg
    799.4 KB · Views: 907
  • IMG_0903.jpg
    IMG_0903.jpg
    747.8 KB · Views: 1,461
  • IMG_0902.jpg
    IMG_0902.jpg
    663.2 KB · Views: 709
The bike still looks just as sharp as it did without stock fenders and rack! Way to go!

@LS3Miata I did consider cutting both the front and the back to make them short. I wasn’t sure if I could do it clean. Also the back needs to be pretty long to keep that spray off your back. I don’t think I’ll use that back one much but it will be good to have if I need it. And I’ll still have the stock fenders and rack when at some point I upgrade and sell it.

@Reid, did you do a similar front fender, or shorty? I thought maybe I saw that in a video.

@Reid, did you do a similar front fender, or shorty? I thought maybe I saw that in a video.
Have retained stock fenders here.

But your restyling has moved me to pull off my fenders' unneeded mud flaps a few minutes ago.

Now the stock fenders blend better into the tires than before. The mud flaps are a soft rubbery plastic that can be pulled off and the remaining rivet squeezed and pulled out. Rain performance will remain perfectly satisfactory.
removed mudbill.png

Last edited:
Reid that looks great! I had considered that myself if I was to keep them on.

I was going to ask you about your front light since I read where you wrote about wiring one in. I see you did it. I want to install a better, and better looking, light myself. Mind sharing how you went about it?

Also, how did you clean up the cables so nicely? That mess is driving me nuts.

Last edited:
Removing the rubber mud flaps is how I ultimately quieted down my aftermarket fenders. The chirping noise they made while riding over bumps drove me a little crazy.

Back