Causes of what seems to be motor noise

ebikemom

Hi Pedego peeps!

One of our family pedegos had what we thought was a noisy, crackly-sounding motor. So, we took it in to the dealer today. Before taking it in, we emailed back and forth, and I checked for fender rattle, which can be misinterpreted as motor noise. The fenders were firmly attached. I did notice chain guard looseness, but it didn't seem noisy.

So, we took it in this morning--an hour+ bike ride.

Our local dealer did a test ride and said it was *not* the motor.

He tightened up that slightly loose chain guard, which, while it didn't seem noisy to me, was the culprit. He said that the gears in the hub, when they get going under a load, create a sound that then causes other parts of the bike, if loose, to reverberate at the same frequency (fellow musicians, we can recognize this from the music world!) So, the chain guard that seemed loose but not noisy to me was singing in harmony with the motor.

He also adjusted and cleaned the brakes, oiled the suspension seatpost, and did other things to produce a quieter ride. My son has 750 miles on the bike, so I think it was ready for a little check in with the dealer.

I like your ebike tech, @ebikemom; you've got a winner there! Chain guards are notorious for working loose and rubbing or vibrating. That's one of those little thinks owners need to check periodically.

Back