Brendon@OEB
Well-Known Member
Howdy EBR folks!
I've got a new drive unit to install on my Tern GSD S10 LR gen 2 and decided to clean up the cockpit and upgrade a few bits along the way! Hope the pics and info help anyone looking to breathe some new life into their ebike!
Backstory: I had a Tern GSD gen 2 as my shop bike when I was with Oregon E-Bikes and loved riding around, hauling friends, running errands, and towing windsports gear down to the Columbia for a post work session. The time came to give that bike back and pivot to something different and it left a GSD size hole in my heart! Fast Forward a couple years later and I was able to snag one before we closed our doors for good. I outfitted it as I did my last one and it seemed to be just like my old bike but something wasn't quite right with the assistance. After some troubleshooting with Bosch I've got a new drive unit to install along with new battery cradle cables. Since I had to conduct open heart surgery I decided to clean up the cockpit and improve on the shifting a little.
I went with a Shimano Saint ispec B shifter so I can use the Magura Shiftmix mount, and for the centerstand release button (dropper lever) I went with a Wolftooth integrated lever for the Magura brakes. I can't stand the Purion display and the Kiox doesn't mount on these bars in a clean fashion so I bumped up to the Nyon display too. I also installed two new Shimano E6090 chains, and a XT M786 rear derailleur because I can't help myself lol.
Here's the bike prior to service, time to clean the beast:
Cockpit with the Nyon mocked up, pre Purion removal:
And presto!!
Old DU out, new one ready for install
New DU in, cleaned up the 56t chainring too
New RD and chains installed, cassette and rear brake cleaned, too bad the RD is hidden by pretty much everything! I also reset the rear caliper, cleaned and reinstalled it
New front rotor installed, caliper reset, pads reused
I've got a new drive unit to install on my Tern GSD S10 LR gen 2 and decided to clean up the cockpit and upgrade a few bits along the way! Hope the pics and info help anyone looking to breathe some new life into their ebike!
Backstory: I had a Tern GSD gen 2 as my shop bike when I was with Oregon E-Bikes and loved riding around, hauling friends, running errands, and towing windsports gear down to the Columbia for a post work session. The time came to give that bike back and pivot to something different and it left a GSD size hole in my heart! Fast Forward a couple years later and I was able to snag one before we closed our doors for good. I outfitted it as I did my last one and it seemed to be just like my old bike but something wasn't quite right with the assistance. After some troubleshooting with Bosch I've got a new drive unit to install along with new battery cradle cables. Since I had to conduct open heart surgery I decided to clean up the cockpit and improve on the shifting a little.
I went with a Shimano Saint ispec B shifter so I can use the Magura Shiftmix mount, and for the centerstand release button (dropper lever) I went with a Wolftooth integrated lever for the Magura brakes. I can't stand the Purion display and the Kiox doesn't mount on these bars in a clean fashion so I bumped up to the Nyon display too. I also installed two new Shimano E6090 chains, and a XT M786 rear derailleur because I can't help myself lol.
Here's the bike prior to service, time to clean the beast:
Cockpit with the Nyon mocked up, pre Purion removal:
And presto!!
Old DU out, new one ready for install
New DU in, cleaned up the 56t chainring too
New RD and chains installed, cassette and rear brake cleaned, too bad the RD is hidden by pretty much everything! I also reset the rear caliper, cleaned and reinstalled it
New front rotor installed, caliper reset, pads reused
Last edited: