Car Rack for Carrying a Pedego Electric Bike?

dekirschner

Is anyone using a bike rack for their Pedego? I have a sedan and an SUV with a 2" receiver. I know Hollywood sells an electric bike rack for two but it's pretty pricey and I wanted to see of anyone out there had found anything else.

Hmm... This is a great question because the Pedego electric bikes tend to be heavier than most. Which one do you have specifically? A cruiser or the City Commuter? The tires are also a bit wider if you have the balloon setup... I've heard the Hollywood Racks work pretty well but know there are other options. @Chris Nolte has experimented with this a bit and put a 2" hitch on his own car, maybe he can chime in and suggest some options for you as he's more familiar with this kind of hardware :)

@dekirschner - Whatever you do make sure you get a 2" rack, some racks have 1.25" tubing with an adapter to fit 2". They will work, but it will be bouncing around and you'll be looking in the mirror non-stop hoping they didn't fall off :oops:

I use the Kuat NV on my VW Golf TDI. I had a custom 2" receiver built so I could use a 2" rack. I listed an image below of the rack I use and I will post up some pics of my car later when I get a chance.

feature-2.jpg
feature-1.jpg

Below is a pic of my car loaded up with 5 ebikes when I drove up to Albany (~ 4 hours)

photo (5).JPG

Thank you all for the great comments. Court, I have an Interceptor II. The car has a 2" receiver. Most of the racks mentioned above are within the same price range. I was hoping to find a less expensive alternative as I'll probably only use it for local transport. I may give the Prorack Brian J. referred to a try. Thule just released a new ebike specific rack that looks good and is in the same price range as the Hollywood & Kuat racks.

Hey @dekirschner, whatever you end up with I hope it works for you! I agree that the prices can be a drag with these but hopefully once it's purchased it will last forever. Would love an updated once you get something to hear how it works and stuff.

I spoke with someone at Pedego and they suggested these:
  • Thule 916XTR
  • Hollywood ebike platform rack
  • 1Up (they recommend any of their SUPER DUTY models)
The 1Up is at a competitive price. It looks to be very well made and it's mfg'd in the US of A. When I pull the trigger on a rack, I will post an update.

Props to Pedego for a rapid and personal response to a message I left on their voicemail about this and another question I had.

Cool, thanks @dekirschner those racks look great. I did some searching and added links to each but you described the Hollywood ebike rack and I could only find a normal platform rack from them. Is there something different that is specific to electric bikes out there?

Is anyone using a bike rack for their Pedego? I have a sedan and an SUV with a 2" receiver. I know Hollywood sells an electric bike rack for two but it's pretty pricey and I wanted to see of anyone out there had found anything else.
We are very new to this bike...actually we haven't even gotten them yet. We rode them for the first time yesterday and were definitely hooked. We ordered two to be sent to our house. When looking for a bike rack there are only a handful that can really hold 2 bikes safely. We opted for the Thule Easy Fold 2 bike rack. It has both 1 1/4 and 2 inch hitch ends and was recommended by our dealer. We have other racks but would not trust any of them to support and hold these guys. I went to etrailer as they have a wide variety of racks and put the specs and a video on each one so you can see how they work in the real world.

Back